New Bike--Lessons Learned!!!!!!!

Colorado Ron

Explorer
Ok, so my "dream bike" has always been a BMW GSPD or Paris Dakar. I have loved that bike forever! Always wanted one, but always found a way to justify NOT purchasing one! Too old, Too pricey, Not enough power, etc.

Long story short, just buy the freaking bike you want the first time! I always bought other bikes for various reason, all justified. But every time I saw a PD I would get tingly all over! I finally just said screw it, and bought one today. Couldnt be happier with my purchase. Now if youll excuse me, I have some more riding to do!!!!!!!:wavey:

2408781588_51d12ba0c3.jpg

2408781952_dab35950ae.jpg

2407947849_c60ca3282f.jpg

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Nice choice :) That looks to be about an early 90s vintage, when I started looking at BMWs and GSs pretty seriously. I couldn't afford one at the time, so I bought a 1971 Norton Commando instead. Rode the Norton hard for a few years before 4x4s again took over my primary interest. Ten years later I bought a new R1150GS. :roost:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Airheads are great bikes! The GSPD is stylish, powerful and simple...all excellent qualities.

Congrats Ron!

:bike_rider:

-H-

Colorado Ron

Explorer
Thanks guys. After giving it a good ride this weekend, and riding it to work this morning, Im fairly confident that Ill be the last owner!:shakin:

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Colorado Ron said:
Thanks guys. After giving it a good ride this weekend, and riding it to work this morning, Im fairly confident that Ill be the last owner!:shakin:

VERY cool! So jealous! I want to get another bike. I just don't like not having one. :punk03:

Blair G

Adventurer
Very cool bike. I wished I never had sold mine. I had the same color with an Ohlins shock. While the 1150 is a better bike for what I need. I wish the PD was parked next to it.

Blair

Colorado Ron

Explorer
Blair G said:
Very cool bike. I wished I never had sold mine. I had the same color with an Ohlins shock. While the 1150 is a better bike for what I need. I wish the PD was parked next to it.

Blair

Since you have owned both, how would you compare the two?? I looked into the 1150, but that ABS makes me nervous. Darn pump is like $1500 isnt it? Anyway, I just couldnt get past my love for the airhead!

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Well Ron,

I sold my airhead for the much improved braking and charging system of the 1150GS. For me...no goin' back....I absolutely love the abs...works flawlessly and it's easy to turn off when I'm on dirt.

The alternator in the 1150 is easier to deal with accessories to the electrical system without worrying about a dead battery. I put an Omega charging system in my airhead, which helped a lot, but no where close to the 1150...

-H-

Blair G

Adventurer
Colorado Ron said:
Since you have owned both, how would you compare the two?? I looked into the 1150, but that ABS makes me nervous. Darn pump is like $1500 isnt it? Anyway, I just couldnt get past my love for the airhead!

I loved the Airhead. It was a great bike for one person and camping stuff. The solo seat with bags and the large rack was great. It sucked for riding comfort two up for us. My wife and I are both about 6 feet tall and the bike was to small for the 2 of us. The brakes are weak, the stock suspension sucked, alternator output was ok as I didn't try to run a bunch of stuff. They call it the "rubber cow" as the frame is not the stiffest in the world. Having said that, most of all these things can be upgraded. The only real thing that couldn't was how tall we are. I guess it could be but she would end up getting half a GSPD. Not worth it I guess. I wish I still had it. They are one of the coolest, simplest and a great compromise for a large touring bike that can go off road and be fixed easily.
The 1150 GSA is a great bike. Knock on wood, but I have not had any of the problems a lot of people complain about on ADV. I think there are a lot more happy riders then not. I searched out a 2002 as it didn't have the linked brakes. Wisdom was that if the linked system failed you did not have brakes. Also, servicing is an expensive thing as it seems to be have taken out of the garage mechanics hands. I have really learned to enjoy the ABS and it has saved my *** a couple of times. The stock suspension needs to be improved but the rest of the things that are done are to customize the bike to you and add some farkle to the bike.
All this talk about makes me want to get back into the garage and finish my service.
Have fun with it,
Blair

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz