New Bilstein Shock for 2014 Silverado

Joronimo

HI, I am starting to look for new shocks for my 2014 Silverado 5.3l crew cab 6.5' bed truck. I currently have a leveling block that is about 1.75-2" of lift and want to remove that and include the leveling in the strut assembly. I have been looking at the Bilstein 5100 as they are ride height adjustable and seem to be a good deal. They seem pretty popular on here but wanted to get thoughts on using them at their highest setting. I am looking for stock replacement level equipment that includes the ride height adjustment so something like Fox's are out of the budget.

I know there are some Rough Country N3's but I assume the Bilsteins are a better option. Anyway, what are your thoughts on these as replacements for stock.

EDIT: I see there are Rancho Loaded Quick Lift struts that are comparable in price. Does anyone have any experience with these? They appear to be RS9000XL's with a preloaded strut.

Last edited:
I installed the 5100s all around on my new-to-me '14 Sierra Z71 a couple months ago. At 135k miles the factory Ranchos were toast. PO had installed a leveling pick on the front. I set the front Bilsteins on the second from highest setting. Overall, they are way better than the worn out Ranchos, no more wallowing. At this setting, they equalled the height of the spacers that had been up front.

If you're installing these yourself, they are a great value. If you're paying a mechanic to swap the factory spring and tophat to the Bilsteins, then it's worth factoring in how much labor is going to cost, because that money could go towards higher end shocks. But that's just me, second guessing if I should have gone Fox because I like to go fast. All depends how you drive and what kind of trails.

For a front leveling shock, the 5100s are good. They do well on the street and dirt roads.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
If you're installing these yourself, they are a great value. If you're paying a mechanic to swap the factory spring and tophat to the Bilsteins, then it's worth factoring in how much labor is going to cost, because that money could go towards higher end shocks. But that's just me, second guessing if I should have gone Fox because I like to go fast. All depends how you drive and what kind of trails.
This. Although if you are going to splurge...https://www.thurenfabrication.com/p...-1500-suspension/07-gm-1500-custom-kings.html

Have had 5100s on my last 3 GMC/Chevy trucks. They have held up pretty well and the ride is excellent for me. I can't stand the stock GM shocks, even when new, and the Ranchos i've run have been almost as bad.

Joronimo

Have had 5100s on my last 3 GMC/Chevy trucks. They have held up pretty well and the ride is excellent for me. I can't stand the stock GM shocks, even when new, and the Ranchos i've run have been almost as bad.
Thanks for the reply. I think I'll go Bilsteins and sooner then expected based on the reviews and responses.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Bilstein 5100 are the way to go take a lot of abuse for the $75 price tag are more than worth it. Also to consider 5150 piggyback and 5160 remote reservoir Bilsteins, more oil, less heat, longer life. Not sure by how much though. I abused the crap out of my 5100s for last 3 years and they still hold a charge, but a little spongier. Replacing them with 5160s in the spring.

Joronimo

Bilstein 5100 are the way to go take a lot of abuse for the $75 price tag are more than worth it. Also to consider 5150 piggyback and 5160 remote reservoir Bilsteins, more oil, less heat, longer life. Not sure by how much though. I abused the crap out of my 5100s for last 3 years and they still hold a charge, but a little spongier. Replacing them with 5160s in the spring.
Do they have the 5150 or 5160 for the front strut or is it just for the rear? I only see the 5160 for the rear on the website for my year and model.

Do they have the 5150 or 5160 for the front strut or is it just for the rear? I only see the 5160 for the rear on the website for my year and model.
Bilstein doesn't offer the reservoir shocks for the front of the 07+ GM 1500s unfortunately. They do have the 6112 series front replacement shock/coil package, which reuses the factory tophat similar to the 5100s and is also ride height adjustable. It's a 60mm vs 46mm piston, so would get some more fluid capacity. I don't have any experience with them though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles