New Bronco

Grassland

It’s funny how people go hog wild overloading stuff in the truck with no regard to payload. But stick to the tow rating like it’s religion. ?
Probably because it's a lot easier to visualize the weight of a trailer, than it is to add up all the nickle and dime weight in and on the vehicle itself.

I lose 100# for tires, 60+ lbs for skids, and 220# or more with my cap. So out of 1500 payload in reality I have 1100 or so.
Couldn't imagine a vehicle with 1000# or less

85_Ranger4x4

Probably because it's a lot easier to visualize the weight of a trailer, than it is to add up all the nickle and dime weight in and on the vehicle itself.

I lose 100# for tires, 60+ lbs for skids, and 220# or more with my cap. So out of 1500 payload in reality I have 1100 or so.
Couldn't imagine a vehicle with 1000# or less

That and the fear of getting scaled after an accident is less when the weight is on the vehicle. Tires, skids, bumpers, winch etc don't really make the rig look overweight like a bobcat in a dump trailer tied on the back.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
We are not well off by anymeans. Give the Bronco another 2k tow rating and it is still worthless to me for a tow pig.

With a F-150 in the fleet I don't really care what the Bronco is rated for. The receiver is a recovery point, maybe a bike rack.
Well sure, but not all of us have a "fleet".

I just need to tow a modest camper or boat occasionally, as well as go off road now and again. The FJ is doing a serviceable job of it for now.

85_Ranger4x4

Well sure, but not all of us have a "fleet".

I just need to tow a modest camper or boat occasionally, as well as go off road now and again. The FJ is doing a serviceable job of it for now.

"fleet" was kinda tongue in cheek. My wife has an Edge that is being replaced by the Bronco, I dd a F-150 which I use for everything from a slide in camper to hauling tractors and I have my tinker toy Ranger. That is "the fleet"

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
"fleet" was kinda tongue in cheek. My wife has an Edge that is being replaced by the Bronco, I dd a F-150 which I use for everything from a slide in camper to hauling tractors and I have my tinker toy Ranger. That is "the fleet"
I get it, and I wasn't criticizing. For a single guy like me to have multiple vehicles isn't a good option, unless I move to the country and have room for all that. As it is I just have a single car garage.

85_Ranger4x4

I get it, and I wasn't criticizing. For a single guy like me to have multiple vehicles isn't a good option, unless I move to the country and have room for all that. As it is I just have a single car garage.

The only thing that fits in my single car garage is the Ranger ?

I know what you mean, when I was single and lived in the city (apartment) I just had the '150. I technically had the Ranger too but I kept it at my parent's house.

skrypj

If the Bronco had a 5k pound tow rating I'd definitely be interested. Unfortunately for me 2000lbs renders the vehicle useless.

Same here.

This is why I have a Lexus GX460. Still BOF and solid rear axle but has a 6500 lb tow rating.

Its too bad the Bronco is not closer to the ranger. The 2.7 will pull extremely well.

T-Willy

Same here.

This is why I have a Lexus GX460. Still BOF and solid rear axle but has a 6500 lb tow rating.

Its too bad the Bronco is not closer to the ranger. The 2.7 will pull extremely well.

Thread drift: Let's see a photo of your GX on 255s... Sounds proper. Got a link?

Grassland

The base tires are like 29 or 30" IIRC, and then 32 and 33 are available with certain trims. The wranglers had some fairly small tires on lower trims too.
I'd like to see a more volume trim on a good quality 33" tire wheeled and compared to a sasquatch trim. That would be a useful comparison. Leaves you the payload for your yaks and bikes etc and decent off road capability.

Tbh if the Bronco came out 8 years ago it's what I would be buying. Had my 08 Ranger still, was no Ranger available from Ford at the time, no mid size BOF vehicles at all.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I wish they would bring the Everest here and call it a Mountaineer or something...
If they did that, shouldn't it be called 'Explorer'? lol

We can't even start on down that Aussie road..... Holden Maloos, Holden Commodore wagons, Holden Crewmans and Caprices, Ford Falcons, Nissan Patrols Land Cruiser 105's, Raptor Rangers, HiLuxes..... Holden Trailblazers... (the real Aussie BOF ones, not our tiny cute ute)

phsycle

Adventurer
Same here.

It’s very obvious Bronco is targeted towards articulation vs on-road travel and trailer hauling.

I’m willing to bet if a Ranger were to be fit with the same suspension as the Bronco from the factory, tow rating would be the same. And vice versa.

It’s the exact same deal for people “upgrading” with aftermarket suspension on their rigs. GVWR, payload, towing, all goes out the window.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
If they did that, shouldn't it be called 'Explorer'? lol

We can't even start on down that Aussie road..... Holden Maloos, Holden Commodore wagons, Holden Crewmans and Caprices, Ford Falcons, Nissan Patrols Land Cruiser 105's, Raptor Rangers, HiLuxes..... Holden Trailblazers... (the real Aussie BOF ones, not our tiny cute ute)
I visited there decades ago. I remember a '65 Ford Ranchero UTE 4wd,hubs,200 cu six,manual trans and transfer case. They had all kinds of vehicles deemed inappropriate or something for the US.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier