New Bumper - Add tire carrier or not?

YotaPilot

Adventurer
I would like to get a new rear bumper for my 2001 Tacoma DC but can't decide if I need the swing-out tire carrier add on. The bumper I am considering is the CBI Outback.

From what I can see the following are the pros and cons associated with an aftermarket swing-out tire carrier:

Pros: Easier access to spare, place to attach things like maxtrax or trasharoo, looks cool
Cons: Additional weight (up higher and farther back - will probably have to get an add-a-leaf for my Dakar springs), cost

For those that have them, what are your opinions? Is it really that more convenient?

soonenough

Explorer
I just put a CBI Bushmaster 2.0 on my '08 Tacoma a couple months ago after driving with the stock bumper for 6+ years. My opinion - if you're going to invest in a good rear bumper, you might as well put the tire carrier on there while you're at it. For me, carrying fuel was a big driver for the swingout. I always carry a 5 gallon can with me at a minimum, and I got tired of having it in the cargo area of the truck. So the can carrier on the swingout was a huge plus.

One piece of advice - I would seriously consider looking into something besides the standard CBI latch if convenience of accessing the space in the bed is something you're worried about. I believe the standard CBI latch is basically a handle welded onto a threaded stud that must be threaded/unthreaded in and out of the bumper every time you want to open the swingout. Although it's a solid design that doesn't rattle, that sounded way too tedious to me. I have small kids, so day-to-day life requires strollers, bags, etc in and out of the back of the truck all the time. So when I ordered my bumper, I had CBI use the Synergy Suspension latch. That thing is awesome, very solid and very easy to get open and closed.

Last thought - if you're on the fence about the swingout, just go ahead and order it, and if you decide you don't want it on all the time, it takes less than 10 minutes to uninstall/reinstall the swingout. CBI offers a cover tube that you can install to protect the spindle on the bumper when the swingout is removed. So worst case, you leave it off day-to-day, and when you're going on a trip, take 10 minutes and install the swingout before leaving. That's my .02 anyway, YMMV.

austintaco

Explorer
I bought an AP rear bumper and then added a swingout to it. I bought the AP bumper because of cost (free shipping at the time). The swingout holds my spare and has a basket that accepts two jerry cans. However, the basket is way more useful than the spare being on the back. The spare adds alot of weight, and if you only have one hinge on the back, the arm will get loaded down quickly.
I would look at having something designed that gives you more options. Carry the tire under the rig (if it will fit), use the swingout for fuel, propane, tools, bikes, wood, etc..

Since you are in Corpus, you might look at http://www.shrockworks.com/4Runner-Rear-Bumper-&-Tire-Rack-3rd-Gen-1996-2002-pr-16263.html I believe they are in the Houston area?

YotaPilot

Adventurer
I bought an AP rear bumper and then added a swingout to it. I bought the AP bumper because of cost (free shipping at the time). The swingout holds my spare and has a basket that accepts two jerry cans. However, the basket is way more useful than the spare being on the back. The spare adds alot of weight, and if you only have one hinge on the back, the arm will get loaded down quickly.
I would look at having something designed that gives you more options. Carry the tire under the rig (if it will fit), use the swingout for fuel, propane, tools, bikes, wood, etc..

Since you are in Corpus, you might look at http://www.shrockworks.com/4Runner-Rear-Bumper-&-Tire-Rack-3rd-Gen-1996-2002-pr-16263.html I believe they are in the Houston area?

I currently run 235/85R16 and my full size spare does fit under the bed so I don't need the swingout for that purpose. A dual swingout would be cool, with one side holding fuel/water cans and the other holding a propane tank and high lift or whatever else I can think of.

I have looked into shrockworks and they make a nice bumper for the first gen tacoma, but no swingout. They do make one for the 96-02 4runner. I called to ask if they could adapt this to their tacoma bumper and they guy I spoke to said no. Not sure why, but I may try them again. It would be much more convenient to get a bumper from Houston, vice having it shipped.

Milo902

Adventurer
How much does that swingout weigh? I added a CBI hybrid to my 3rd gen 4runner, and that beast comes in at 104 lbs w/o a swingout. In my opinion, the beauty of the taco/4runner platform is how lightweight it is, and you run out of GVWR (and thus driving dynamics) really quickly.

The backs of the taco frames are a known weakness when a large amount of weight is added to the hitch area, frame reinforcement plates are a must in my opinion when going the big rear bumper w/ swingout.

Another thought, how often do you need to access the spare vs. the back of the bed? Does it really add convenience? For me it would be the opposite.

v_man

Explorer
Will the swing out carrier be mounted to the bumper , or mounted on the back of the truck somewhere ?

If it's mounted on the truck , be sure to really beef up where ever you attach it to ... My carrier with my big 37" inch spare , and hi lift , is probably 150 pounds just hanging on the two hinges . You can see it leaning the truck here lol !

IMG_1645.jpg

That being said , I rarely daily drive with the spare and hi lift on the back , I only put them on for wheeling' trips . If you have decent tires , and a tire repair kit , you can probably get away with not carrying around your spare ...

YotaPilot

Adventurer
How much does that swingout weigh? I added a CBI hybrid to my 3rd gen 4runner, and that beast comes in at 104 lbs w/o a swingout. In my opinion, the beauty of the taco/4runner platform is how lightweight it is, and you run out of GVWR (and thus driving dynamics) really quickly.

The backs of the taco frames are a known weakness when a large amount of weight is added to the hitch area, frame reinforcement plates are a must in my opinion when going the big rear bumper w/ swingout.

Another thought, how often do you need to access the spare vs. the back of the bed? Does it really add convenience? For me it would be the opposite.

Not sure on the weight, but it's probably about the same as yours. It will be mounted to the bumper, not the body. I know about the taco frame issues and will get the reinforcement plates if I got a swing out bumper.
Your last statement is basically the reason for this post for those that have swing outs...do you think it's worth it now that you have it?

v_man

Explorer
I think my swing out is fine , there is really no other place for a tire of that size , unless it went on the roof , but that's more weight up high than I want ...

Another think to look at is the latching mechanism of the swing out to whatever it locks in to on the bumper or tailgate . On rough roads , the carrier will vibrate and shake your ears off . A firm closed connection is a must ...

Yotafish

I have a CBI with swing out and I had that with the spare and a camper shell and didn't need the AAL until I added my bed drawer in the back. Honestly I probably wouldn't need it if I had not gone with 882's up front since I only have an ARB without a winch. I also included the built in hitch, which adds some decent weight, but I think is lighter than an aftermarket one. I think you would be fine and would regret not getting it. It is easy to take on and off as mentioned before. I also agree with the latch system as if you are in and out a lot the screw in handle can be annoying. Another issue with the swing out is carrying things that may require you have the tailgate down while driving, but again you could just remove the swing out temporarily. Either way I love mine.

2008taco

I love my tire carrier and use it all the time. I carries my tire, jerry cans, has a drawer that carries a couple of shackles, pouring spout, air hose for the compressor etc. a fold down table, and a led camp light.

attachment.php

carbon60

Explorer
I carries my tire, jerry cans, has a drawer that carries a couple of shackles, pouring spout, air hose for the compressor etc. a fold down table, and a led camp light.

What manufacturer is that?

I want to carry fuel/propane and an armful or firewood. The spare is less important.

I do like the storage box idea, like the Aluminess product:

7y3eqemy.jpg

A.

YotaPilot

Adventurer
You guys with the second gen tacomas are lucky. You have many more options for aftermarket bumpers. My options for a swingout, as far as I can find, are limited to CBI or fab my own. Since I don't know how to weld, I guess I am stuck with CBI. Every builder/faber I call tells me it would be too expensive to do a one off and they would need my truck for an extended period of time (Demello, all pro, shrockworks).

I really like the Aluminess with dual swing outs like the one above or the one Tacodoc has on his Tacoma.

fjfar80

One option that I think is important to consider is dual swing-outs. I ran a dual swing-out bumper on my 80 series Land Cruiser and when I decided to install a new bumper on my 2-Gen Tacoma I wanted to do the same. Bruteforce Fabrication custom built my high-clearance bumper with dual swing-outs. I've found that the dual swing-outs help spread the load to both sides of the truck / bumper and you don't get a 150lb swing-out to one side...which can be dangerous if you have to open it up on a slope or on an off-camber setting.

9018694333_4a20db8457.jpg

I love my setup and the weight is equally distributed.

- Mark

austintaco

Explorer
You guys with the second gen tacomas are lucky. You have many more options for aftermarket bumpers. My options for a swingout, as far as I can find, are limited to CBI or fab my own. Since I don't know how to weld, I guess I am stuck with CBI. Every builder/faber I call tells me it would be too expensive to do a one off and they would need my truck for an extended period of time (Demello, all pro, shrockworks).

I really like the Aluminess with dual swing outs like the one above or the one Tacodoc has on his Tacoma.

Here's how a local shop did my All Pro. There's a few ways to go about adding a carrier to an existing bumper. Watch AP for a free shipping deal, and you can at least get the bumper to your door for a good price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier