New camp cook in training

big sky trapper

Adventurer
Just in the back yard, But outstanding eating!!! first try at dutch oven cooking and was it good.
the begaining's

P6030009.jpg

The finished: Roasted chicken with rice.
P6030018.jpg

mk4

Observer
Looks tasty.

From the picture it appears as though you have rice and stock with seasoned chicken (sitting breast up) on top. In this scenario, roasting the chickens breast side down will result in a more favorable result. You might also want to give pot roast a try. Very similar process sans rice and with the addition of a few vegetables.

The chickens were actually breast side down.

And we've done pot roast many times with onions, carrots, potatoes and spices. This was the kid's first try though and we were pretty sure she'd be successful. :)

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Wow! Your daughter can trap, hunt, and cook! I bet you be asking for a high bridegild from future suitors. Clan Bigsky raises 'em right.

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Looks great! I'll be right over!
Save me some...
:chowtime:

big sky trapper

Adventurer
Pineapple upside down cake!! and the trimmings!!!!

one 10 inch dutch and what you see here line the pan with pineapples, add dry cake mix, pour over a clear soda, do not stir, add remaining pineapples if desired, add coals and let it cook! Should be done in about 45-50 min.
P6090055.jpg

P6090058.jpg

P6090060.jpg

pototoes carrots onions lots of seseamee oil...

P6090073.jpg

P6090074.jpg

one deer roast stuffed with garlic and bacon wrapped.

P6090076.jpg

ready to feed 5 hungry cammpers
P6090078-1.jpg

cinnomon rolls in the mountains for breakfast??? Mmm good the smell is just unreal with no breeze a going...

P6090084.jpg

P6090085.jpg

then of course there's allways kitchen clean up duties ...
P6090068.jpg

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Alright, now your just killing me! :sport_box Man, that is some good looking eats. :chowtime: :eatchicke

Nicley done and what a great experience for the girls.:bowdown:

spressomon

Expedition Leader
X2 on the "you're killing me" comment! The soda/ginger ale trick on the pineapple cake...never heard that one before: Interesting...what does the CO2 add?

big sky trapper

Adventurer
not sure, just what the original recipie called for years ago, actually it was a dark chocolate cake mix a can of cherry filling and a pepsi, weve just modified it to to what ya see now over the years and made it into all kinds of deserts....

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I love dutch oven cooking in camp, done several Bison roasts that melt in your mouth.

What brand ovens are you using? I'm in the market for a 12", The Lodge brand was high on my list till i checked them out at my local Cabela's..not one had a lid that sat flush. Having difficulties finding a Wagner or Griswold reasonable as well, the collectors scoop them up for big bucks.

We have a 10" Griswold now, but need something that we can lay coals on top of for more options.

The venison roast on the spit looks awesome!

HPIM1870.jpg

Last edited:

big sky trapper

Adventurer
We have 3 10" that are Lodge, and a 14" of unkn, and a few interchangeable dutch lids that all fit from skillets to ovens. My Lodges Ive never had any trouble with fit and finish. And their lids all fit pots to skillets, I see a lot in the second hand stores as well for about the same price as new. I do have one 12" deep alumin one that im tring to find a lid for.

Avoid the TEX SPORT imports absloute junk...I bout one it actually warped the first try on using it. It went straight to the scrap iron pile.

With cabella's you might have to open a few boxes and test fit all the dif parts and get the fit your interested. I would!

Freinds have wagners brand very good as well, wagners finish I think is a little better, and season better for household cooking as well.

Actually, the recipes we've used before usually call for a can of pie filling, a cake mix, a can of soda. We've never tried it with just canned fruit and the pineapple worked pretty good.

There are many workable combinations we've tried;
a can of apple filling, a box of spice cake mix, and a can of 7-up ( in that order, with a greased dutch oven)

a can of cherry filling, a chocolate cake mix, a can of cola,

a can of blueberry filling, a white cake mix, and a can of cream soda.....you get the idea.

Bake about 30 minutes or until you stick your face close to the dutch and have your glasses fog up from the steam escaping...that's when you know it's done, LOL.

paulj

Expedition Leader
Since I normally cook for just 2 of us, I use small dutch ovens. I started with a 8" Lodge, but my current favorite is a 10" GSI hard anodized aluminum. This size GSI does not have integral legs, using a wire stand instead. It is both compact and light.

With this size I get by with less than 20 brickets, which I start in a small folding pyramid shaped wood stove that I bought years ago.

Mostly I use the DO to add some variety to camp meals, which are otherwise quick ones cooked on an alcohol stove. In this size, prepackaged biscuit and cornbread mixes work well. I've tried a few cobblers, though I haven't tried the version that just calls for sprinkling the dry cake mix over the fruit and juices. The best item on this last trip was a kind of coffee cake, using a multigrain baking mix, applesauce as part of the liquid ingredients, and enhanced with nuts and dried fruit.

DO cookbooks have been of limited value. Most recipes are for larger ovens, so I can't used the measurements directly. Many also call for ingredients that I don't carry, especially on longer trips. Some are little more than 'open a bunch of cans or mixes' and 'throw the mess in the home oven'.

A promising book a recent one published by Caxton Press, with author last name of Smith. I glanced at this in a store in Jordan Valley (OR). One idea I gleaned from that was to preheat the lid when baking items.

paulj

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier