New Camper Build - THE OVERL[h]ANDER

1000arms

"Much bigger" is an understatement! ? I have been following the Shagachara adventure for quite a while and I LOVE what they have built, but it definitely isn't the right kind of rig for us.
I should add that we're not currently roadschooling then kids... although we have in the past and will again once the new camper is done. You can read about some of our past adventures in this TCM article.

One thing Shachagra did that I really liked was they built a physical mock-up of their camper before they started construction. We did a similar thing in our living room with foam-core board, but ours was 1:1 scale. We also installed the AirHead in our master bath and used it for a month instead of our flush toilet to make sure we'd be happy living with a a separating/composting toilet.

So, no hot tub in your camper? :cool:

Thanks for the link! I've read many articles on TCM, but I had somehow missed your link.

Design software is helpful, but a 1:1 physical mock-up is a very useful "old-school" method, especially when combined with month-long gear-testing!

Last edited:

Justin Cook

Systems:
For electrical, I've selected two 200A/h LifePO4 batteries from LifeBlue and I left an open space for a 3rd battery in the unlikely event that 400A/h (5.2kWh) isn't enough. I chose these batteries based on their size, reasonable cost, excellent build quality, and the fact that they have Bluetooth integrated into the BMS in each enclosure... there's a handy LifeBlue app so I can monitor each battery (& cell) individually if I ever need to. There's 940 Watts (4 x 235W) of Sharp solar panels going up on the roof which will feed the batteries through a Victron SmartSolar MPPT 150/85-Tr. The inverter/charger is a Victron MultiPlus 12/3000/120-50 120V, and for charging from the alternator while driving I'm using a Victron Orion-Tr 12/12-30 DC-DC Charger. All that stuff was purchased from the helpful folks at AM Solar. There's no plan for an onboard generator... other than the solar and alternator.

For systems monitoring I have selected a Simarine Pico display as well several of as their modules (SC501, ST107, SCQ25, & SCQ25T). This will track battery SOC, detailed power generation/consumption, tank levels (fresh, grey, & LPG sensors are from Safiery), temperatures (indoor, outdoor, fridge, freezer, hot water, & batt'), as well as remote monitoring and some handy programmable alarm functions.
View attachment 564788

For cabin heating I'm using a Planar diesel furnace with an analog thermostatic controller. Cooling is via a 6000Btu window air conditioner. In my preliminary A/C test I measured ~425W draw (31A @13.7Vdc. Mfr's claimed EER is 12.1). So as long as there is sun on the panels the solar should have no problem keeping up. For ventilation there will be a pair of MaxxFan Deluxe vent/fans.

Hot water is from a Elgena Nautic Compact Air water boiler that is heated by the diesel furnace and/or integrated 120V/500W & 12V/150W electric heating elements.

View attachment 564785 View attachment 564786 View attachment 564787

There will be a 32"x32" wet shower/bath with a small sink, and the toilet is an AirHead poop-dryer :ROFLMAO:. I am trying to figure out a simple urinal setup for us guys (standing up at the AirHead is a no-no). The fresh water tank is 50 gallons (420lbs whew! I suspect I may not ever fill it) and the grey tank is 25 gal. Drinking water filtration is through particulate & carbon block filters, and a UV sterilizer.

In the galley, there will be a full size sink, convection/microwave, 2-burner LP cooktop, single burner induction cooktop, and a LP wall-oven. I'm still undecided about which fridge/freezer to get, but it'll be an upright 12V Danfoss compressor type... maybe Isotherm or Vitrifrigo.

Please be sure that AM Solar sends you the Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-30 charger; the Orion-Tr 12/12-30 that you linked is a completely different product: it's a converter, not a charger, and is not suitable for charging batteries of any kind - much less an LFP bank.
The fact that the two products were named so similarly is highly unfortunate and is already being a source of great confusion... the Orion-Tr Smart 12/12 won't even be available for purchase in the US until later this month, but I've already had to make almost a dozen calls to people who have ordered the Orion-Tr thinking it's the Orion-Tr Smart. If you haven't already received your order, call them and make sure that they realized which device you wanted to order... if you have already received your order, call them about a return, because the device you have isn't the device you want.

msiminoff

Please be sure that AM Solar sends you the Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-30 charger.
Gah! My bad, I linked to the wrong product :sick: I'll go back and fix the name/lnk in the original post. Thanks for the heads-up Justin!
Fortunately, I did order the correct Orion-TR-Smart 12/12-30 Charger and AM Solar tells me that they're expecting their shipment in mid-March.

I do have some doubts that 30A is going to be sufficient charge current... especially if I add another 200A/h of battery. But I really like that I can start with one Orion-TR-Smart and then just parallel one (or two) more to increase the current if I need to.

-Mark

Attachments

• AMSolarOrder.jpg
    AMSolarOrder.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 73

Justin Cook

Gah! My bad, I linked to the wrong product :sick: I'll go back and fix the name/lnk in the original post. Thanks for the heads-up Justin!
Fortunately, I did order the correct Orion-TR-Smart 12/12-30 Charger and AM Solar tells me that they're expecting their shipment in mid-March.

I do have some doubts that 30A is going to be sufficient charge current... especially if I add another 200A/h of battery. But I really like that I can start with one Orion-TR-Smart and then just parallel one (or two) more to increase the current if I need to.

-Mark
Excellent, that's all good then. I just wanted to make sure that you weren't stuck with the wrong product like several people already have been... next time I see Matthijs I'm gonna have a word with him about their naming conventions :rolleyes:

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
What a great build. Thanks for the heads up on the Stretchmytruck guys. I'm in the SLC area and may need their services soon. I LOVE LOVE the rear French door concept. Very cool thing to have the ability to open wide for views. Are you also doing that so you can load toys if needed? Reminds me the of Bimobil flip up rear that opens vertically for fresh air and views. One of the things that I don't really care for in most builds is the "boxed in" feeling.

msiminoff

I LOVE LOVE the rear French door concept. Very cool thing to have the ability to open wide for views.
Yeah, we're pretty excited about the rear door! The fabrication is done, we're now ready to install the Wildlands door. The design was inspired by a friend's overland rig that was built in a box van with a 3-section rear door (pic below). It's amazing when it's wide open. (BTW, these guys are a family of 4 and did San Francisco to Tierra Del Fuego and back in this truck)
We're also building a a rear deck that's as wide as the door opening :cool:
There is room to roll toys in, and I think we'll occasionally have bicycles inside. However the plan is for the interior to be pretty, not utilitarian. I'm not sure that I want my motorcycle in my house... I'll just us my hitch carrier or trailer.
FrenchDoor1.jpg Richard.jpeg

msiminoff

REFRIGERATOR DILEMA! PLEASE HELP!

Well, I thought I'd found the perfect fridge for the new rig... Furrion's (a brand that's known for mediocre quality) new Arctic refrigerator has some very promising (read: too good to be true) spec's... 10 cubic feet capacity, low current draw, quiet 42dB operation, stainless steel finish, charcoal odor filter, "air flow loop" ventilation, blah-blah-blah-blah-blah.
So I ordered one up to see if it lives up to the hype, and it arrived this past week... No surprises here: It doesn't. The freezer gets cold, but the refrigerator compartment never cools below ambient air temp. And to make things more interesting, it's the loudest fridge I've ever heard: 54+ dB measured 6ft in front of the door. It's a total dud! The only upside is that Furrion will take it back - no questions asked.

So I need to choose a new fridge/frezer. At the moment I am considering these two options:
- Isotherm cruise 220 Combi
- Vitrifrigo DW360ID4-EFV

The fridge in my current truck camper is a Vitrifrigo DP2600. It has been super-reliable for 3+ years, but the temperature control between the fridge and freezer compartments leaves a lot to be desired, especially in high ambient temps & high humidity.

I want/need a refrigerator keeps my food at 35-40ºF and a freezer that keeps ice cream rock-hard regardless of ambient conditions. I don't think that's too much to ask and I am perfectly willing to have dual-compressors if that's what it takes... I’ll add that I'm not power-constrained and I know that good refrigeration is money well spent.

Any and all recommendations cheerfully accepted.
Thanks in advance!
-Mark

Last edited:

C p weinberger

Sweet rear door design! I’ve been looking into same idea with windows. Saw a camper with a window within a larger hatch. Smaller window helps with security, minimizes cold/ heat loss but in optimum conditions larger hatch can be opened for more light/ air / scenery. Been thinking of adding a mosi screen for larger hatch as well

blu88

REFRIGERATOR DILEMA! PLEASE HELP!

Well, I thought I'd found the perfect fridge for the new rig... Furrion's (a brand that's known for mediocre quality) new Arctic refrigerator has some very promising (read: too good to be true) spec's... 10 cubic feet capacity, low current draw, quiet 42dB operation, stainless steel finish, charcoal odor filter, "air flow loop" ventilation, blah-blah-blah-blah-blah.
So I ordered one up to see if it lives up to the hype, and it arrived this past week... No surprises here: It doesn't. The freezer gets cold, but the refrigerator compartment never cools below ambient air temp. And to make things more interesting, it's the loudest fridge I've ever heard: 54+ dB measured 6ft in front of the door. It's a total dud! The only upside is that Furrion will take it back - no questions asked.

So I need to choose a new fridge/frezer. At the moment I am considering these two options:
- Isotherm cruise 220 Combi
- Vitrifrigo DW360ID4-EFV

The fridge in my current truck camper is a Vitrifrigo DP2600. It has been super-reliable for 3+ years, but the temperature control between the fridge and freezer compartments leaves a lot to be desired, especially in high ambient temps & high humidity.

I want/need a refrigerator keeps my food at 35-40ºF and a freezer that keeps ice cream rock-hard regardless of ambient conditions. I don't think that's too much to ask and I am perfectly willing to have dual-compressors if that's what it takes... I’ll add that I'm not power-constrained and I know that good refrigeration is money well spent.

Any and all recommendations cheerfully accepted.
Thanks in advance!
-Mark
Just wanted to thank you for vetting the Furion. Seemed like it was too good to be true. I wish I had some advise. my only experience is the Dometic in our Born Free.

msiminoff

PROGRESS!

After weeks and weeks of delays due to broken machinery and this damn Covid-19 thing, work isfinally moving forward on the subframe build. All of the aluminum and steel plate has been cut, and the subframe, rear pivot, and tow-hitch/winch mount assemblies should be going together this week.

Subframe_Parts.JPG Dimples.jpeg
On the left are the aluminum plate after water-jet cutting. These will become the subframe rails. In the right image, you can see that the plates have been flared with a dimple-die prior to being bent into c-channels. The dimples help to reduce weight, increase stiffness, and they add a nice aesthetic too.

Hitch_Parts.JPG
This water-jet cut steel plate will become the tail section of the truck frame. It forms the structural members for the winch mount and trailer hitch (you can see the oval-shaped opening for the fairlead as well as the 2 square receiver holes so that a truss type hitch extension can be used).

In other news; I ordered a NovaKool RFU9200 fridge/freezer. It's a dual-compressor design and looks like it will fit perfectly.
Cheers,
-Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles