New camping location app for iPhone / iPad

kylekai

Observer
FYI, version 1.1.2 is now processing for the App Store. New for this release is:

- For iOS7, can now view routes to a campground from within the app; no more going to a separate map app to view routes.
- More info is displayed when offline.
- Bug fixes.

It should be at the App Store within a few hours. Click here for more info.

kylekai

Observer
And the info about showers and elevation is really useful. I wish the Benchmark atlases had that, but they don't include elevation. Again here in the west a few miles can make a big difference and although a topo map might give you the same info it's helpful in a list. Be nice if you could sort the list in the search view by criteria, like >3500'. Or at least by feature like "shower" or "flush."e.
Rob

Rob,
Just a note to tell you the next release of the app, due out in a week or so, will have what you requested and more. You'll be able to filter campsites depending on the elevation, water availability, showers, RV dump, amenities, the fee, and more. So if you're looking for a cool campsite in the summer, set the elevation filter for higher elevations. If you don't have much money, set the fee filter to under $10. It's pretty nice.

There will also be a Macintosh computer version out soon. I already have my Boondocking app for the Mac:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/boondocking/id737368975?mt=12
And the Ultimate Campground app on the Mac will have the same functionality.

Thanks,
Bill

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Hey Bill - this isn't specific to your app (which I love) but about the maps it uses on my ipad...

Is there a way to use offline maps with the iPad app? An issue I run into is when I want to look up a campsite I might not have a data connection.

Thanks!

Jon

kylekai

Observer
Using maps offline

Hi Jon,

Good to hear you like the app! There are some tricks to use maps offline with the iPad app, and here's what I do:
When I have a data connection, I scroll and zoom the map to the locations I want to visit. That causes the iPad to cache the map tiles. Then when I'm at my designated location with no data connection, usually the map works because it's using the cached map tiles I previously looked at (it displays the map from its cache instead of having to download them). There are variables of course, but it seems to help.

I did a Google search and found a few related articles:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/10/05/apples-new-ios-6-maps-support-automatic-offline-use-for-a-wide-area
http://mashable.com/2012/10/15/apple-maps-shine-offline/

I hope that helps, and happy camping!
Bill

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Hi Jon,

Good to hear you like the app! There are some tricks to use maps offline with the iPad app, and here's what I do:
When I have a data connection, I scroll and zoom the map to the locations I want to visit. That causes the iPad to cache the map tiles. Then when I'm at my designated location with no data connection, usually the map works because it's using the cached map tiles I previously looked at (it displays the map from its cache instead of having to download them). There are variables of course, but it seems to help.

I did a Google search and found a few related articles:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/10/05/apples-new-ios-6-maps-support-automatic-offline-use-for-a-wide-area
http://mashable.com/2012/10/15/apple-maps-shine-offline/

I hope that helps, and happy camping!
Bill

Thanks. I really find that Ultimate Campground and Allstays make a very strong combination. Do wish there was a more structured way to get offline maps - I still rely on my Garmin and the campsite list I have in that a lot more than I would like to in a perfect world.

rebar

Adventurer
I downloaded allstays and ultimate us public campground apps and will use them soon.

What happens when you open the app with only data, no internet? Do you need to keep the app open after leaving a wifi area on a iphone for it to retain the map and locations?

kylekai

Observer
For the iPhone and iPad, here's how I understand it works with Apple Maps: when you have an Internet connection, and browse the map, the map tiles you view are cached to the device. If you browse an area of the map that has a map tiled cached, it's displayed (it's faster to view cached map tiles than it is to download them). Also, you can view cached map tiles with no Internet connection. So if I have Internet, and I know I'm going to an area with no Internet, I try and view the area I'm traveling to so the map tiles are cached to the device and I can view them with no Internet connection.

Last edited:

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I see it's available for Android now. Maybe the OP could edit the thread title, or have a mod edit it, to reflect that.

I don't like buying apps before trying them so I downloaded the free UC Military Campgrounds app. Initial impression is good. I'll mess around with it some but will likely get buy it.

Kudos to not accessing more phone information than is really necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier