New camping trailer. Battery/generator questions

BlackdogGS

Observer
I thought running the generator or driving down the road would be enough to keep the batteries charged. I guess I need a regular battery charger too. So much to learn. So if I’m remote camping I’m thinking of running the generator a set 3 hours or so a day to charge the batteries/watch tv/use microwave/etc. Probably run it just in the morning or more if we need ac.

dreadlocks

ideally you needa run the generator til its back to 100% (until you have solar to finish the job), for a set of golf cart batteries thats much longer than 3h.. IIRC it takes 8-12h to recharge a pair of em from half depleted, and unless you plan on driving that much every time they need recharged this is why a generator will save your batteries from an early death.

however.. driving to recharge is largely applicable to RV's only, since your trailer battery is so far away from your alternator and connected through a trailer plug.. its actually going to take longer to recharge it driving because I really doubt your trailer battery bank seeing more than a few amps of power from the tow vehicle.. you can drive for >12h and still not have a fully charged battery bank if all your getting is 4-5A for the bulk charge.

Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The deka gc2 in a deep cycle application can benefit from higher charge voltages. 14.9V at 75f. This does help cut some time of the absorb when using a gen. Otherwise solar or overnight plug in. At the higher voltages a charger work temp compensation is critical. As is frequent water checks and good battery ventilation.

BlackdogGS

Observer
Ok, I just went from the original Interstate HD24-DP to two Deka 6 volt GC25’s. Deka says 75 ANP rating so I’m at 150Amps now. I’m not sure of my gain because the Interstate only has the CCA rating on it. How my amps have I gained. EDB165F2-9BF1-4BB3-AEA2-AE2835EF9C42.jpegDA657A11-5E7F-4BE2-AE95-355CE667BEB0.jpeg

BlackdogGS

Observer
The specs from the Interstate battery. I’m not sure how to do an apple to apple comparison with these specs.

Group Size24DP
Part NumberHD24-DP
Cold Cranking Amps405
Cranking Amps505
(RC) Min @ 25 Amp100
Length11
Width6 7/8
Height9 1/2
Weight41.2
Voltage12
Wet/DryW

dreadlocks

Amp Hours is basically RC / 2 + 16..

so you had a 66AH battery before.. I got one of those with my trailer, was junk.. now its used to start my riding lawn mower.

Your new batteries are rated at 230AH, so you gained a net of 164AH

in usable capacity (not discharging either battery more than 50% so you dont kill em) you gained 82AH

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
That says Deka GC15 which is 215AH

GC25 is 235AH.

Those Interstates weren't even true deep cycling, so the Deka's are 10x better for that usage.

dreadlocks

I got those numbers outta: http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com/wp-content/uploads/Deka-Pro-Master-Golf-Car-Flyer-0248.pdf

He says GC25 but shows a pic of GC15, I went off the picture.

but either way he's in much better shape, I deep cycled the crap factory Interstate battery only a few times and it lost considerable capacity... from April-July I used it for about 20 days total before I got my LiPo it lost at least 15AH based on my calculations (~25aH consumed through shunt, voltage chart showed it at ~50%), and I had to run the generator daily because I have about 20AH per day consumption so it'd hit 50% SOC in about 30h.

If I put those Deka's in I'd get about 4 days outta 86AH to reach 50% soc, which is basically what I get out of my 100AH LiPo I dont take under 20% SOC.. I found it to be pretty much ideal capacity, more than enough for a 3 day weekend and on an adventure I can get a full charge every 4 days no sweat.

Last edited:

BlackdogGS

Observer
Amp Hours is basically RC / 2 + 16..

so you had a 66AH battery before.. I got one of those with my trailer, was junk.. now its used to start my riding lawn mower.

Your new batteries are rated at 230AH, so you gained a net of 164AH

in usable capacity (not discharging either battery more than 50% so you dont kill em) you gained 82AH

So a gain of 164 AH, I’ll take it. I’m sure I could have done better but the Deka’s we’re only $140. The salesman even told me my first upgrade should be the battery.

john61ct

Adventurer
I'd get about 4 days outta 86AH to reach 50% soc, which is basically what I get out of my 100AH LiPo I dont take under 20% SOC.. I found it to be pretty much ideal capacity, more than enough for a 3 day weekend and on an adventure I can get a full charge every 4 days no sweat.
Much better off for good longevity, doing daily cycling, striving for 100% Full most days if possible and not letting the bank sit at lower SoC for long.

True for any lead.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Batteries wired in series doubles the voltage. Wired in parallel doubles the amps.

2 x 215ah@6v in series will be 215ah@12v.
2 x 215ah@6v in parallel will be 430ah@6v.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke