New Defender News

A.J.M

Explorer
While we do get the 2 diesel options here in the uk.
A 200bhp and 240bhp variant of the same 2.0 engine.

I personally would like a 3.0 Diesel engine.
A nice straight 6 would be good to have for more performance and pulling power.

240bhp is very similar to the power my discovery 3 with the 2.7 tdv6 has, but I’ve added a remap, performance intercooler, removed the cat from the exhaust and the egrs are blanked. But the power and torque will be delivered differently, so it will respond different.

A d240 HSE is my ideal spec from what’s available but a larger engined model would be nice.

nickw

Adventurer
The early 2000s Toyota thing is a bit of confirmation bias IMHO. Yea, they are GREAT trucks. The 4.7 is legendary, the 3.4 is a cockroach, and everything is screwed together pretty well in everything besides a few outlying issues here and there. BUT- they last forever and hold such value because, people everywhere say they last forever and hold the trucks hold their value. A 2001 Tundra is just a disposable as a 2001 Silverado, and both are equally as reliable, and both will last 6-700k miles if they are maintained with the same level of care.

LC100s last forever in part to the fact that there are almost no aftermarket repair parts available for it. Something that would cost you $12 at the local parts store and work for a couple years for a domestic vehicle, does NOT exist in the LC world. You have to spend a few hundred bucks to get an OEM Toyota part. That does mean however, the part will last you another 10 years/100k miles. If every Ford/Chevy/Nissan/Whatever owner did that, and maintain vehciles without regard for our wallets like most Toyota fans do, we'd all be driving vehicles with 3/4 of a million miles on them that are reliable to take to Argentina and back.

My time with my Disco definitely showed the value in OEM parts. The aftermarket stuff most of the time was mostly poor quality, except for a some well documented cases. I went through two cheap radiators (one didnt even fit!) until I ponied up almost 600 bucks for an OEM one, which immediately solved my cooling issues at the time.
It's a good point and also why I think, in general LC and to a lesser extent the other Toyotas, live a long life, people will happily put money into them because of higher resale and they know it's a reasonable ROI....vs domestics and to a lesser extent Rovers.

DieselRanger

I would think the 4cyl 2.0L would struggle at altitude and/or towing. Would like to see a torque curve but its already down 25% from the LR4 V8 and altitude will reduce that another 20%.
Don't confuse turbocharging with supercharging. NA engines and any engine compressing atmospheric pressure such as a true supercharger will lose compression proportional to altitude. Turbocharging takes exhaust gases at far higher than atmospheric pressure and compresses *that* along with atmospheric intake. The turbo may need to spin faster to achieve the desired compression, but variable vane turbos like the ones in the new Ingeniums and the Td6 can compensate so the effect of lower atmospheric pressure air being mixed with high pressure exhaust can be mitigated much higher in altitude.

I don't have any noticeable drop in performance in my D5 Td6 with a VVT going over 12,000 foot Monarch Pass at 60mph, I can easily overtake on the climb. Never felt any drop while offroad above 10,000 feet either.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Don't confuse turbocharging with supercharging. NA engines and any engine compressing atmospheric pressure such as a true supercharger will lose compression proportional to altitude. Turbocharging takes exhaust gases at far higher than atmospheric pressure and compresses *that* along with atmospheric intake. The turbo may need to spin faster to achieve the desired compression, but variable vane turbos like the ones in the new Ingeniums and the Td6 can compensate so the effect of lower atmospheric pressure air being mixed with high pressure exhaust can be mitigated much higher in altitude.

I don't have any noticeable drop in performance in my D5 Td6 with a VVT going over 12,000 foot Monarch Pass at 60mph, I can easily overtake on the climb. Never felt any drop while offroad above 10,000 feet either.

Agreed. My point was a 2.0l 4-cyl isn't a viable option for towing at altitude. It's just too small to move 10K lbs (5,000+5,000) over Monarch pass, efficiently and at good pace.

The price adder for the MHEV 6cyl is stupid.

Someone who is honest and not part of the land rovers, selected ( say only good parts ) news team.

ASPW is not a bias opinion and brand loyalist? hahahahahaha. He was die hard LR until his falling out with corporate over a decade ago. He was die hard, "will never use another tire than BFG" until they stopped giving him free rubber. He's so far up the Toyota ****** its unbelievable and if you don't think he's on Toyota's tip and still bent over LR, watch any of his videos. Now he's a Falken guy, he 100% is on Terrain Tamer products and nothing else, Toyota factory options from the same dealer for the last 3 vehicles? Anyone notice that he's not up Alu-Cab anymore but he's on Quick-Pitch? One thing is for sure, he sticks to ARB like glue.

I've been following him for almost 15 years since I have close South African friends who turned me onto him with his pre-I'm famous shows and rants; love the guy and love his shows and his reviews but if you honestly think he unbiased and not a brand loyalist you are sleeping! Does anyone really believe that he doesn't know anyone to get his hands on a D5 or Defender to drive; well then you are downright crazy cuz he can and he choses not to. There are private reviews out there and if ASP would give LR an honest review (he's extremely jaded against LR) and is using stuff from 10 or more years ago which is like listening to someone whine about their high school sweetheart ruining their lives while they are in their mid-40's.

So he uses the Disco 2 footage from 1942 to ********** about the Disco 1 being better and no manual and then follows up with how Disco 3-5 and surely the Defender have fantastic TC and probably nothing better on the market????? He's all over the place with his LR rants and that is 100% consistent. Who kept him from getting in a Disco 5 for the last 4 years that thing has been out; nobody cuz ASPW does not want to give LR a fair review and if I was LR I wouldn't give him the time of day either because there 100 other people out there that will give a fair review? Give him credit for stating the LR Defender teams are good and knew what they were doing but does anyone think a manufacturer should or would not use their best and brightest drivers for global testing?

Toyota hasn't taken an LC on a global adventure fully kitted out, Jeep runs the Rubicon and Moab which is a day or two adventure with almost 100% known conditions but LR runs a non rated course across Namibia for a few weeks with multiple camps with partially and some fully kitted vehicles and they are wrong to do so and gaming the review game? How come every other manufacturer can do marketing releases and not get a special ASPW slap for doing it but when JLR actually does legit and open with their new toy; ASPW armchair reviews it like it's BS. How come he is not talking about how Toyota V8 are blowing up around the planet and they still haven't fixed the narrow rear axle that makes it almost uncontrollable at normal speeds off-road without adding spacers or chopping up a brand new production axle to make it drive right?

And I'll follow up with remember when ASPW was doing BFG marketing release shows because they sponsored him; back then it was okay for anyone to marketing release and put him up with a vehicle and a tent and hotel and airfare and such but now that LR does it and has been doing it consistently for almost ever its no longer cool cuz he's not getting in on it. So he needs to get invited to give a good review?

And one more thing....his review from his chair on the Defender is just as good as my review of the Defender or any other vehicle I've never been in. For him to post something negative again about a brand he clearly hates and has for a loooooong time and then whine about it not being something he knows nothing about it is downright childish. I would say the same thing if he did the review on the Gladiator from his couch or any other brand vehicle. This is why he can't get back in JLR window; he makes pre-judgements which makes him not a viable candidate because a real professional who deems himself an unbiased product reviewer would NEVER do a review or a rant on something/someone they have not touched.

Come on Man...........he's as biased as any news network in the US and we all know it. Still love the guy but you gotta read between the lines with him wholeheartedly to get a real review on many many things.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Actually he makes several excellent points that I can personally confirm. The DII traction control did suck, marketing departments do closely manage for perception, not functionality, and events are 'groomed', just like ski slopes.

Agreed. He made one comment on a 15 year old JLR product and then general statements on marketing concepts that every manufacturer uses and says JLR is gaming the game. NO KIDDING, I needed 15 minutes of his rant to know what we all know?

Like me watching a JK or Gladiator Rubicon video and then saying Jeep CJ5 had a severe rollover problem; Jeep would never let me review their vehicles ever since.

Last edited:

DieselRanger

Agreed. My point was a 2.0l 4-cyl isn't a viable option for towing at altitude. It's just too small to move 10K lbs (5,000+5,000) over Monarch pass, efficiently and at good pace.

I think it's fair to say that a 4cyl tuned to the ragged edge of its performance envelope doesn't inspire confidence in long-term durability under constant heavy-duty use, but I think nigh on 300hp and 300lb-ft of turbocharged power is plenty for occasionally towing an average overland trailer or a small boat or whatever you're hauling over a 12,000 foot pass.

As we've covered before, the delta for stepping up to the MHEV I-6 isn't all engine. It also adds a ton of other features and equipment.

Blaise

^ I think people forget that it wasn't long ago that a chevy big block made 320hp. Is it just me? It was less than 15 years ago, and the mountains aren't any taller now.

Well neither motor is rated to 10k, so not sure what you're looking for there.

However, I'd like to point out that as of 5 years manufacturers have been using the SAE J2807 standard for towing which is *very* comprehensive. You can read about it here: http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/towing/1502-sae-j2807-tow-tests-the-standard

I'd trust any modern ('14+) truck to tow right at it's max rating provided you follow the appropriate brake and load requirements.

Agreed....like a Jeep though, I would have zero desire to tow with it; I think Jeep is like 3k max or something silly. I've towed a few trailers with my LR3 for yard work and such; quite heavy and was not a fan of it without a brake controller anyway. A small overland trailer like Turtleback or AT would be no issue but wouldn't be towing my boat or travel trailer....lol

I surely would not be towing with my new Defender in any engine as I just do not have the need but its a viable need for many and should be taken into consideration for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles