New Defender News

Also retired, with a pension, and my own contracting consulting gig working 50% max and loving life. The plan is to have your dilemma and be done working completely by age 50 with the right quality of life and proper toys for smiles. Life is pretty good; I should say that I "won't" afford a D5 and new D110; not "can't" because I have to fund the airplane too and that's my dilemma and why the 4cyl is appealing in price and usage at this point!

o_O:p:D:LOL::ROFLMAO:

mpinco

Expedition Leader

"...
Rob Atkins - chief engineer, vehicle engineering

“.........Many of the biggest Defender decisions aren’t obvious, says Atkins, such as the use of a monocoque structure instead of a traditional body-on-frame set-up, and the very advanced electronic architecture. He and his team were heavily involved in all of that. But he’s proud of two particular decisions: the use of bigger tyres to raise the Defender’s driving position and improve its off-road traction; and some special packaging measures needed to make the Defender’s boot space as wide and uncluttered as it is, in comparison with more conventional SUVs.

The decision about the big wheels came early, says Atkins: “Even before we had a fully engineered mule, we did some testing after we fitted bigger tyres to a Range Rover Sport and it was very promising. Then we went to Dubai, where sand driving is the national sport, and were simply blown away by the performance of our Defender mule, even when we were using road tyre pressures. We knew the design was strong, but big wheels gave the vehicle extra height and presence, and a lot more grip. That was a very important moment.”.........

Before I forget this - Weirdest interview ever. Do these JLR engineers live in caves? Never spent a day on the trail? Ever built a 4x4 on their own? Seriously?

you would be amazed how many engineers work in industries they know nothing about. There are advantages of bias "knowns" in an industry that can jade decision process on what is actually best for a product; but yeah, it's pretty crazy and not the only company or industry that has this issue/norm!

I know a few Harley engineers, designers, and such that do not or have never driven a motorcycle. Aviation is quite prevalent for young engineers to cut their teeth in several aircraft or platforms with zero experience outside of what they learned academically in their degree fields. Not to mention how may people actually work in fields where they have no degree in either; the paper got them in the door though. lol

RoyJ

Adventurer
Before I forget this - Weirdest interview ever. Do these JLR engineers live in caves? Never spent a day on the trail? Ever built a 4x4 on their own? Seriously?

While he does sounds like an offroad newbie, we need to keep in mind OEM engineers have many, many factors to consider that may be of no interest to us off road enthusiasts. But critical for overall vehicle development and validation.

A simple change like "slap on some 35s", in the OEM world, could mean re-calculating all the stress and fatigue limits and safety factors of just about every chassis component. We're talking every bearing, gear, shaft, flange, mating surface, bushing, control arm, roll centers, braking component, software calibration, rollover / CG, crash test, etc.

I can tell you there are very smart OEM engineers out there, so the fact that Power Wagons don't come with 37s stock, or Rubicons aren't "pre-lifted", is not because they're too dumb...

When I worked as one, most of my "enthusiast" type ideas never made it past my manager's meeting table, never mind the Daimler and Dearborn head office.

soflorovers

Tow vehicle at altitude. Intermountain West workload profile.

The 4 cyl is likely fine for urban flatlanders who occasionally tow a 3K lbs trailer or less but is too small outside that profile. It will struggle as will longevity.
I'd be willing to take a gamble and go with the 4 CYL. It has the same amount of HP as the 4.4 in the LR3, while also weighing less and having 2 extra gears in the gearbox to help with whatever acceleration is requested. Will it be stupid fast? No, but that's not the point. I think the 4 cyl will be "adequate", and nowhere near as miserable as say a 4.0 V6 in an LR3.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
If Scott Brady would have the 4-cylnder I think it will be good enough for me and most other people. But if I had the money for a new one I would be looking to get as striped down of one as Land Rover will let us buy in the US.

Carson G

I'd be willing to take a gamble and go with the 4 CYL. It has the same amount of HP as the 4.4 in the LR3, while also weighing less and having 2 extra gears in the gearbox to help with whatever acceleration is requested. Will it be stupid fast? No, but that's not the point. I think the 4 cyl will be "adequate", and nowhere near as miserable as say a 4.0 V6 in an LR3.
Around town the 4.0 is far from miserable. It’s a very torquey engine. IMO it’s no worse than a Gladiator.

Carson G

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, that is the same 4.0L Ford used in the Explorer and Ranger, no?
Yes and no there are some block differences and the Land Rover version is higher compression and has shorty headers. The internals are identical though as are the injectors. It’s a rock solid engine it’s not unheard of for them to go over 300,000 miles. Parts are dirt cheap as well. It’s like $240 for a set of 6 genuine injectors. With the few modifications Land Rover made to engine it makes 270lbft of torque at 3,000rpm. If we could easily tune the ecu it could 300hp reliably without too many modifications the bottom ends are really stout.

It’s not fast but it’s reliable and I can fit 17” wheels from the factory.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Yes and no there are some block differences and the Land Rover version is higher compression and has shorty headers. The internals are identical though as are the injectors. It’s a rock solid engine it’s not unheard of for them to go over 300,000 miles. Parts are dirt cheap as well. It’s like $240 for a set of 6 genuine injectors. With the few modifications Land Rover made to engine it makes 270lbft of torque at 3,000rpm. If we could easily tune the ecu it could 300hp reliably without too many modifications the bottom ends are really stout.

Just curious as i thought is was the same engine. I had the 4.0 V6 in a 2003 Explorer and never had issues with it or complaints about performance.

It towed a tent trailer just fine thought the rocky mountains of B.C.

JackW

Explorer
This is a pretty good review - I really like the moment where he points out how much narrower the Defender is than the Range Rover - especially since the D5 is a bit of a fat pig.

While he does sounds like an offroad newbie, we need to keep in mind OEM engineers have many, many factors to consider that may be of no interest to us off road enthusiasts. But critical for overall vehicle development and validation.

A simple change like "slap on some 35s", in the OEM world, could mean re-calculating all the stress and fatigue limits and safety factors of just about every chassis component. We're talking every bearing, gear, shaft, flange, mating surface, bushing, control arm, roll centers, braking component, software calibration, rollover / CG, crash test, etc.

I can tell you there are very smart OEM engineers out there, so the fact that Power Wagons don't come with 37s stock, or Rubicons aren't "pre-lifted", is not because they're too dumb...

When I worked as one, most of my "enthusiast" type ideas never made it past my manager's meeting table, never mind the Daimler and Dearborn head office.

Nailed it; not to mention sprung and unsprung weight and what that does to the entire driveline in all kinds of areas. Big reason why warranties could be different on factory modified vehicles and cost is huge because they realize most likely they will see the vehicle in more. Also funny how many warranties do NOT cover off-road wear and tear and NOT normal wear and use the manufacturer is responsible for.

My 4 banger build is still in my account for this exact reason. I just want to see one really good straight up 4 banger review all about just that configuration. I don't want to be the first one so I am waiting on @JackW :D:p:ROFLMAO: I tend to steer away from first year vehicles of any kind anyway. I'll be buying a year or so down the road or longer if its new or wait for a lease turn over and take advantage of someone else's ******-beating on depreciation.

If Scott Brady would have the 4-cylnder I think it will be good enough for me and most other people. But if I had the money for a new one I would be looking to get as striped down of one as Land Rover will let us buy in the US.

Agreed!

That engine is near bullet-proof and what really made the Ranger such a great vehicle for so many years. My brother's first new truck was a V6 Ranger 4x4 and he drove it for 370k miles before he sold it to my cousin's kit for a cheap farm wagon where it got another 50k or so on it of farm abuse. Great engine, gutless transmission which Ford is notorious for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier