New Defender News

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
It's the only bright color in the whole line up so that's my choice as well. One thing Land Rover could learn from Jeep and Toyota is the interesting choices of colors that those other brands offer.
Bright orange or even glorious yellow would be cool (although, I'd probably opt for white when it comes down to it - yes, I'm boring).

DieselRanger

It's the only bright color in the whole line up so that's my choice as well. One thing Land Rover could learn from Jeep and Toyota is the interesting choices of colors that those other brands offer.
They do offer the Namib Orange on the D5, and I think it looks stunning with black wheels and roof, but my wife absolutely refused to be seen in a car that color, so I had to go with a more crowd-pleasing Silicon Silver. Hides brush stripes a little better too.

I personally love the green with white roof look on the Defender though. Would like it even better if they offered the darker Aintree Green like they initially did on the D5.

JackW

Explorer
Honestly, when the TDI comes to NAS market, I'll order white and wrap it on the way home from the dealer; any color I want! lol

If JLR decides to bring a diesel in (which is not at all certain according to sources there) ... I'd be happy with the 240 HP four cylinder version of the diesel myself but the six would be outstanding.
I like white Land Rovers so Fuji White will work for me but wrapping it is a pretty good option. I rented a smurf blue wrapped Miata last August in California and it got lots of attention.

Miata on Carmel Valley Rd.jpg

Last edited:

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Appears the auto industry, because of regulation, is moving in the direction of very complex powertrains. If we do get a diesel it may be the MHEV diesel which is much less interesting.

The European Auto Industry Is Racing To Ditch Diesel

An article in the Financial Times explains the impact of the new legislation on Europe’s automakers, an industry that supports some 14 million workers across the continent.....

....Quoting Max Warburton, an auto analyst at Bernstein, the article says each carmaker faces its own CO2 target based on the weight of its vehicles. A business selling smaller cars, such as PSA, therefore has a lower CO2 target than a company with a heavier average vehicle, such as Mercedes-Benz owner Daimler.

The targets for each company vary from around 91 g/km to just over 100 g/km. Some carmakers, like PSA, have already made good progress, switching less fuel-efficient, four-cylinder GM engines in their new Astra range to new three-cylinder PSA engines has improved efficiency by some 21 percent.

However, carmakers like PSA do not have a lot of luxury saloons and SUVs in their lineup. Daimler, BMW and JLR do, and the situation is made worse by a rise in sales of such vehicles in recent years.

Europe — once the home of the small, fuel-efficient compact — has fallen in love with the SUV. Some 40 percent of cars sold in the E.U. are now SUVs and automotive carbon emissions have, as a result, risen for the first time in a decade.

Potential fines for missing these new fleet emission limits are punishing, the FT states.......

.....From 2020 onwards, however, the situation is set to deteriorate as overall profitability suffers. “No one will survive in the form they exist today,” Ralf Kalmbach of consultancy Bain & Co, who has spent 32 years advising German carmakers, is quoted as predicting.

The E.U. is making some concessions to limit the damage. Carmakers will be measured on only 95 percent of their fleet in 2020, giving them a little breathing space to continue selling their most-polluting — and often most-profitable — vehicles longer.

But unlike the U.S., European firms cannot buy and sell credits, they can only pool overall fleet results with competitors........."

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Wouldn't be surprised to see a Mini-Defender, similar to the Mini Countryman, unless the needed partnerships involve BMW who would want the additional competition. Given that the financial community is predicting “No one will survive in the form they exist today,” it should be an interesting decade.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
CES news .........

Land Rover Defender to stay connected anywhere
RICHARD TRUETT

The Land Rover Defender could be fording a stream tires-deep in the middle of nowhere while its onboard computers are being updated, thanks to a new connectivity system that includes two modems and two eSIMs.

One modem and eSIM is dedicated to Jaguar Land Rover's technology that updates the vehicle's software over the air — so customers no longer have to schedule a service appointment at the dealership for software updates and reflashes. The other modem and eSIM is connected to the Defender's music streaming and access to apps.........

........JLR executives are showing the new Defender this week at the Qualcomm and BlackBerry booths at CES in Las Vegas. "

So while "dual" the subsystems are different in that one appears to be control systems while the other is infotainment. Not sure there is redundancy. As for remaining connected "anywhere" I guess JLR hasn't been to the intermountain west were connectivity is spotty to non-existent.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Ah, about complexity and surveillance .............

New Land Rover Defender Pivi Pro infotainment system has dual eSIMs for massive connectivity
Chris Hall · 7 January 2020
https://www.pocket-lint.com/cars/ne...d-rover-defender-pivi-pro-infotainment-system
At the heart of this system is a world's first for cars - a dual eSIM setup, meaning that there's two connections that the car can any use for different functions. One eSIM can be downloading updates for the car's systems (up to 16 systems can accept over the air updates, expanding to 45 in future), while the other streams your music - which you don't want disturbed.

On the geeky side (we said they were geeking out, so let's join them), the Defender features a double helping of the Qualcomm Snapdragon 820Am, hardware designed specifically to power automotive functions, and each features an embedded Snapdragon X12 LTE modem.........

.......The X12 modem also includes GPS for location - the same way Qualcomm hardware in your phone does - and Land Rover tells us that the Pivi Pro system has its own battery, so it can be always on and always connected, meaning that you can use it without a tedious startup process when you get into the car. .........."

In summary JLR has embedded a smartphone in your new Defender, along with all the 'features' of smartphones, to include surveillance and selling your personal data.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/cars/ne...d-rover-defender-pivi-pro-infotainment-system

merrion13

Has anyone heard when the 'dealer trainings' and road shows are occurring in the US? I keep being told 'sometime in January' but haven't heard anything else.

soflorovers

Has anyone heard when the 'dealer trainings' and road shows are occurring in the US? I keep being told 'sometime in January' but haven't heard anything else.
See above. Already occurring as we speak on the west coast. I got that photo from the Instagram story of a salesperson that works at an LR dealership

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
How
Ah, about complexity and surveillance .............

In summary JLR has embedded a smartphone in your new Defender, along with all the 'features' of smartphones, to include surveillance and selling your personal data.

Where do you get the "surveillance" and in particular the "selling of your personal data" from?

mpinco

Expedition Leader
How

Where do you get the "surveillance" and in particular the "selling of your personal data" from?

The JLR embedded smartphone is always connected to JLR and to third-party services

"Pivi Pro system has its own battery, so it can be always on and always connected,........"

Do you realistically believe JLR won't "share" the collected data with "partners"? Look no further than Privacy Policy for InControl™services

Sharing Information–We share Covered Information:

..........with third-parties, including service providers, that process information on our behalf, and to provide you with InControl Services;
..........with our trusted business partners and other third-parties to provide you with information about offers, goods and services
......"

I would think JLR views this as a recurring revenue stream.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior