New Defender News

soflorovers

Gerry's sentiments are par for the course....

While everyone else (Jeep, Toyota, GM, Ford, Subaru, Etc) are embracing the aftermarket and going after the overland dollar, Land rover is over in its corner saying it knows how to do it best does not want to play.

Lets see if they are right and there loads of new road road equipment for a brand new platform is world class..

I think we can see how this will turn out, but hey the profit margins on the dealer add-ons will be great for a while.
Hang on...I think you guys have failed to read between the lines. LR feels this way because they are going after the overland dollar. Of course they're going to say that they know how to do it better. Why wouldn't they? I mean, you'd have to be blind to not notice the MASSIVE oem accessory push that came with the new Defender; just look at all the trims and the ridiculous prices that they want for their ladder, rack, brush bar, etc...

LR is ok with companies like LK8 making aftermarket parts for the new D5 since they've probably accepted that the market isn't large enough for them to really invest in that. The new Defender however, that's an entirely different story. If you look at the TReK D110's at the 4xfar festival, LK8 only provided the recovery equipment, whereas they provided a whole lot more on the D5 such as recovery equipment, lights, sliders, etc... JLR understands that the aftermarket will always be there, but for the time being they're trying to cut a slightly larger portion of the pie for themselves. Don't let Gerry fool you, the aftermarket will create better and cheaper solutions, but they won't be available until after JLR has introduced their own products.

soflorovers

I guess that's why Gerry did not like our D5.
So...how does that work? I'm guessing you wipe your a**es with what he says? After all, he's only one man and you guys seemed to have knocked it out of the park with the TReK D5's. Its hard to imagine that JLR NA wouldn't be ecstatic with the work you guys did on that project.

catmann

That says Prototype Vehicle - they have supposedly been building them since October - has anyone anywhere actually purchased one yet?

In my world, it says a lot to have a prototype vehicle floating around in the common public when production vehicles start coming off the line. I'm not speaking to automotive because I have no clue how that world works. However, in aviation, generally speaking, prototype air vehicles are immediately replaced with 1st generation production vehicles and prototypes are turned into trainers or OEM experimental vehicles and the general "operational" public will never get hands on experience/exposure to them. The reason being is that prototype usually means they are "one-off" or a "few" vehicles that are similar but usually hand or semi-jig built but will rarely share the same fitment of parts/accessories due to jigging, specific test profiles, etc.

Maybe "prototype" means something different in the automotive industry to make it sound sexy or some crazy thing like that but prototype in aviation means "the public doesn't see one parked at someones airport by the employee" without tight control of the image that goes with it because it is a "prototype" and is not the same or near reliably operable as what is intended for the final design and low-rate or new production.

For JLR to just allow prototype vehicles for some employee to park at their house; risking the hood being up, an oil leak, or tow truck showing up says something to me in a good way; unless of course "prototype" means production with a different badge to look/sound cool in JLR world....lol

Last edited:

catmann

I am thinking that after the rather disasterous Discovery launch in 2017, LR has decided to unleash hundreds of final build vehicles (marked as 'prototype") into the wild to ensure that any real-world use defects can be addressed prior to the real launch to the public. Having the number of issues that the Discovery had on a vehicle as important to LR as the Defender would be crippling to their business and destroy what little consumer confidence still exists in their ability to produce resonably reliable vehicles.

Last edited:

mpinco

Expedition Leader
I have to wonder how much the billions in cost cuts have impacted Quality, Reliability and Test departments/plans. Coronavirus is going to play havoc with supply lines and product demand. Some auto manufacturers are already shutting down lines.

Agreed they need to get the Defender up to a minimum level.

DieselRanger

I am thinking that after the rather disasterous Discovery launch in 2017, LR has decided to unleash hundreds of final build vehicles (marked as 'prototype") into the wild to ensure that any real-world use defects can be addressed prior to the real launch to the public. Having the number of issues that the Discovery had on a vehicle as important to LR as the Defender would be crippling to their business and destroy what little consumer confidence still exists in their ability to produce resonably reliable vehicles.
What issues did the Discovery 5 have on launch?

Red90

Adventurer
Everyone hates it because it looks like every other SUV on the planet. Sales have been horrible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior