New Defender News

mpinco

Expedition Leader
I'm sure just about every component on the new Defender is somewhat different than the LR4. Styling changes drive that outcome as do technology advances and cost reductions. My point was that the new Defender form wise is virtually a slightly smaller LR4, that it lost some LR attributes (stadium seating), it can run larger tires and for me the powertrain alternatives are not there yet. I'm thinking LR is working on improving the powertrain alternatives in a year or two.

That the new Defender is a virtual LR4, let's call it a LR5, is no accident. We've already discussed that LR's product roadmap vision was 3 product lines evolved from two. The Discovery 5 was a complete product segment shift which left open the legacy Discovery product slot. The new Defender is intended to step into the vacuum of the LR4. The new Defender may 'look' more rugged but its still luxury.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the current Discovery (D5) product line become more 'Subaruish'. Every garage in Colorado must have at least one Subaru.

Last edited:

Carson G

I'm sure just about every component on the new Defender is somewhat different than the LR4. Styling changes drive that outcome as do technology advances and cost reductions. My point was that the new Defender form wise is virtually a slightly smaller LR4, that it lost some LR attributes (stadium seating), it can run larger tires and for me the powertrain alternatives are not there yet. I'm thinking LR is working on improving the powertrain alternatives in a year or two.

That the new Defender is a virtual LR4, let's call it a LR5, is no accident. We've already discussed that LR's product roadmap vision was 3 product lines evolved from two. The Discovery 5 was a complete product segment shift which left open the legacy Discovery product slot. The new Defender is intended to step into the vacuum of the LR4. The new Defender may 'look' more rugged but its still luxury.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the current Discovery (D5) product line become more 'Subaruish'. Every garage in Colorado must have at least one Subaru.
I think the rumored 130 will be just about perfect especially if we get the 6cly diesel. To me personally the new Defender is essentially the perfect Disco. It’s basically the older Defender and the D4/5 combined.

Blaise

The new Defender may 'look' more rugged but its still luxury.

Why are these mutually exclusive in your mind? You don't need manual steering and vinyl seats and roll up windows and no AC to be rugged. The wrangler offers tons of luxuries but I don't see folks claiming it's downfall...

Blaise

I think the rumored 130 will be just about perfect especially if we get the 6cly diesel. To me personally the new Defender is essentially the perfect Disco. It’s basically the older Defender and the D4/5 combined.

Agreed. I love the direction they took and am crossing my fingers they do a 130 so moving from the LR3 we don't have to lose any size. I am *super* spoiled with how much we can haul as is.

rlynch356

Defyota
yes they are starting to come in now - these 2 were at my local dealer on Monday, I'm sure they are in the hands of owners by now. My tundra TRDpro is huge next to them but they are smaller than I expected. The interior is really nice, the plastic hood 5 bar, was movable with my finger.. I believe it just clipped in. The LCA's look heavier than LR3/4 so hopefully they will last longer. everything is packaged tight so the aftermarket is going to have a good time with that. The bumper/fender/flare (metal for the fender and flair) joints look like they will pose a challenge for bull bar manufactures (not to mention the side mounted radiators). Both were 4cyl "S" models.. The black one was 62k, the White 69K nothing crazy on options or packages so I believe that is going to be a typical base level spec.

IMG_0095.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0096.jpeg
    IMG_0096.jpeg
    478.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0101.jpeg
    IMG_0101.jpeg
    525 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0097.jpeg
    IMG_0097.jpeg
    532.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0098.jpeg
    IMG_0098.jpeg
    359.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0099.jpeg
    IMG_0099.jpeg
    303.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0100.jpeg
    IMG_0100.jpeg
    589.1 KB · Views: 41

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Why are these mutually exclusive in your mind? You don't need manual steering and vinyl seats and roll up windows and no AC to be rugged. The wrangler offers tons of luxuries but I don't see folks claiming it's downfall...

I was referring to the interior materials that LR selected for the new defender. Those materials lean towards a rugged image vs luxury. That said, I fully expect the new Defender to offer the same level of appointments that the LR4 HSE did as the new Defender is the LR4 replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles