New Defender Rage/Hate Thread

blackangie

The quality of all vehicles has increased over the years. JLR is still at the bottom. Do they use parts sourced from the same suppliers as those at the top? Yes. Are LR's more complex than the ones at the top of the survey's? Yes.
In US yes, in UK they are inline with toyota? Why?

I see people say, LR or JLR is the most unreliable car manufacturer out, if this was from LR owners Generally speaking it was someone who doesn't own a latest Gen or Newish LR.

To me owning a new JLR vehicle and knowing how reliable the new LR vehicles seem on this forum based on trip reports etc, it just didn't make sense.

Heres what I found, the reliability argument against LR isn't really a thing anymore, ill explain why and it may surprise some that haven't seen this posted before.

I looked at data 20 years ago and Landrover have improved reliability around 180% since then and most improved over last year of any manufacturer tested in the states.

So what's with LR being towards the bottom of the US dependability list?

The whole industry has improved to a point where there are only a few problems per year between the list after 3 years of ownership. Imo its almost like the top 20 airlines for safety(I try to fly on these), they are not in any particular order as they are all considered as safe as each other.

Landrover owners of 2016 vehicles are only reporting 2 problems and Toyota 1(it seems largely off the back of corolla and prius, camry, avalon, rav4 etc and where limited toyota 4x4 models are sold (infact last time i checked the only similar toyota they sell is a petrol LC200) thats 2 problems for a whole year after 3 years of ownership!

It is reported also that most issues were infotainment related, which admittedly in 2016 was not LRs strongpoint. Would love to see the reliability comparison based only on US LR 4x4s models and US Toyota 4x4 models, but even then it wouldn't be fair due to the lack of diesels from Toyota.

In the UK Landrover reliability is pretty much on par with Toyota (where petrol and diesel etc Toyota 4x4 models are sold in a very similar way to AU, fair comparison)

A Landrover 2016 model has approx 1.42 problems over 12 months after 3 years and Toyota 1.34 (absolutely nothing between them in reliability)

In AU Toyota have been far from the pinnacle of reliability over the last few years, imo LR on the other hand has done really well the last few years avoiding any mass market issues.

I mention Toyota not to badmouth, rather becuase they are usually referred to as some holy grail of reliability and a benchmark. They are a great thing and if you own one great!

The UK is a similar selling market to ours as far as Land Rover and other major 4x4 sellers for example (Yota), the facts show there is about as much difference as identical twins between the two as far as dependability goes, which is incredible considering LR is pretty much 4x4 only, making reliability much harder to achieve then companies that mostly make 2wds.

Times have changed as anyone with a newish JLR vehicle will attest to, quality and reliability are as good as could be expected for the vehicle you actually get, which when you have a vehicle that can do much more than its competitors is much harder to achieve.

This all has taken me a very long time to get my head around over the last year but im glad i did, as LRs reliability factually is much better than many make out and for the last couple of decades has been getting better and better.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
I'd like one for the mall.:p

I don't know, I like a few particular things a lot in life. My truck below. Defenders, old mercedes and old BMW. The rest is boring to me.

I'd like a new Defender, but it's just too new and shiny to be used off-road for me.

Peace out, can't wait to see the horrible depreciation on them. The first year production nightmares will be very fun to watch. You'd think I hate Land Rovers. I'm just honest about the addiction with them. I went to some counseling so I can stop drinking the Land Rover kool aid. I have a real perception of what they are, and I don't even care. I love Land Rovers.
I'll use these for crawling and exploring the backcountry.

truck.jpg

defender.jpg

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
My business partner stopped by the plant in Birmingham UK a few weeks ago. We couldn't find one to look at. It was on a Sunday, so I guess no one was around. We somehow got in through security to the back parking lot. But there wasn't anything to see. :(

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
My business partner stopped by the plant in Birmingham UK a few weeks ago. We couldn't find one to look at. It was on a Sunday, so I guess no one was around. We somehow got in through security to the back parking lot. But there wasn't anything to see. :(
Because they aren't going to be made in Solihull.... And they're likely to have the test mules locked well away

blackangie

Because they aren't going to be made in Solihull.... And they're likely to have the test mules locked well away
Factory prototypes are on the road
88cad81ef5b5a5acf8ff8ddbecb04591.jpg
8639345ac70f19c471604dd753527ad1.jpg
eecda603e3df7cc0c92a4a640fa288a2.jpg
a5064245c50d2150cc4046704d81ed86.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
Factory prototypes are on the road
88cad81ef5b5a5acf8ff8ddbecb04591.jpg
8639345ac70f19c471604dd753527ad1.jpg
eecda603e3df7cc0c92a4a640fa288a2.jpg
a5064245c50d2150cc4046704d81ed86.jpg

I known they're on the road (my parents live about an hour from Solihull) but they aren't going to leave them in the open out the back over a weekend, and nor are there going to be a load wating in the yard for transport as they're coming out of Slovakia (IIRC) not Solihull.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Man so angry. Was it you in the security shed that let us in accidentally then got in trouble on Monday. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I am surprised that no one has mentioned the Land Rover Adventure and Music Festival in Coachella yet.
It will feature the new Defender, some bands and a lot of rich hipsters from L.A.

:)

I am sure we can find something to complain about with this event.

Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 8.25.49 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-09 at 8.26.02 AM.png

JeepColorado

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the Land Rover Adventure and Music Festival in Coachella yet.
It will feature the new Defender, some bands and a lot of rich hipsters from L.A.

View attachment 549121View attachment 549122

This is a music fest? ....With the poser shots of the Defender kicking up some dust in a dirt parking lot I thought is was the "hardcore" off-roading of Trek. :)

TOUGE

When i got that email from LR I laughed for a good 3.5 minutes. LR have to market their cars to young rich kids somehow haha.

$229(with parking) for 2 days of average pop music, no camping on site even though it is held at the same venue as Coachella Music Fesitval, no leaving you vehicle parked in the carpark between the two days(That area has hardly any Uber/Lift/Taxi's) so you gotta watch your drinking.

Don't forget your personalized water bottles!!!!!!

Holy ******** they are even going after Facbook MLM mums with ESSENTIAL OILS CLASSES!!!https://4xfar.com/adventure/aroma-your-ride/

blackangie

Ive signed up to try get free tickets

Tried the Spotify playlist, not bad..id be there for sure if we lived in the states.

DieselRanger

I am a bit befuddled as to why Land Rover would do this just to promote the new Defender, but I suppose as a lifestyle brand trying to get on the Gen Z / Millennial bandwagon to create lifetime customers early it's ... one way to do that.

If this is their target clientele, frankly they'd have more exposure to a larger cross section if they did this at Burning Man. And they'd have a much larger playground.

No way in hell I'd pay to see any of these artists. Q-Tip was great in Tribe, but they peaked in like 1998, and since Phife Dog died they don't play their stuff any more anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

blackangie

I am a bit befuddled as to why Land Rover would do this just to promote the new Defender, but I suppose as a lifestyle brand trying to get on the Gen Z / Millennial bandwagon to create lifetime customers early it's ... one way to do that.

If this is their target clientele, frankly they'd have more exposure to a larger cross section if they did this at Burning Man. And they'd have a much larger playground.

No way in hell I'd pay to see any of these artists. Q-Tip was great in Tribe, but they peaked in like 1998, and since Phife Dog died they don't play their stuff any more anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
They have many different target clients.

Landrover Trek part 2 with with the new defender will also be interesting.

Good on em for trying new stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles