New Expedition Camper - Overland Explorer

HowardH

Adventurer
If you don’t have enough battery to cook with induction... you don’t have enough battery period...
How do I determine how much battery draw an induction cooktop would take? Also I currently have one that I am not happy with. It is this one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037Z7HQK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My issue with it is it seems to constantly be turning on and off. For example while frying potatoes; they cycle from sizzling away to just sitting and doing nothing. Back and forth. Seems like the temp regulator on the cooktop is cycling on and off.

java

Expedition Leader
How do I determine how much battery draw an induction cooktop would take? Also I currently have one that I am not happy with. It is this one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037Z7HQK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My issue with it is it seems to constantly be turning on and off. For example while frying potatoes; they cycle from sizzling away to just sitting and doing nothing. Back and forth. Seems like the temp regulator on the cooktop is cycling on and off.
The one you have is 1800W, 1800W @120V at a power factor of 1 is 15Amps. @12VDC that would be 150 amps (roughly ignoring conversion to 120v thru inverter etc.) Lets say 25 mins (of actual cooking time on high, seems reasonable for a day? ) is 37.5AH, call it 40AH with conversion losses.

HowardH

Adventurer
How big is your battery bank?
Does 240 amp hours sound right? Which sounds like a lot if you are using 40 amp/hrs/day. I am not sure my current system would last three days running the furnace fan and lights. That is about all it does. Furnace, water heater and cooktop are all diesel powered.

PS how do you know how much power you are using?

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
Does 240 amp hours sound right? Which sounds like a lot if you are using 40 amp/hrs/day. I am not sure my current system would last three days running the furnace fan and lights. That is about all it does. Furnace, water heater and cooktop are all diesel powered.

My furnace is a diesel Webasto also. But it short cycles and uses a bit extra power.....

240 may be right, Depends on how many and what size batteries.

I have a shunt, it measures all the current in and out of the batteries. REALLY awesome. Goes between the main negative to the battery and ground. Gives you total percentage, current draw, total AH drawn etc. https://www.victronenergy.com/battery-monitors/bmv-700 ~$160 on Amazon.

HowardH

Adventurer
More info on our trip. For those interested here is the kml file link. https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am_FdVE7iQD_kMkBHFzycoFKBw3g5w

Total trip was just over 1900 miles and with the exception of a few hours of rain while driving the weather was fantastic. Saw some empty spaces which is almost always my goal. On Friday we drove all day and saw about ten other vehicles the entire day. This includes driving the freeway from Wells to Wendover!!!!!!!

Ruby Lake in particular was fascinating to me.

P1040208 (1024x604).jpg
P1040210 (1024x615).jpg

A few hundred miles were spent on roads like these.
P1040167 (1024x576).jpg
20180126_235730453_iOS (768x1024).jpg
20180127_005921885_iOS (768x1024).jpg

Attachments

HowardH

Adventurer
An interesting part of the trip was we crossed the pass through the trees and got to the other side in the dark. We got confused and turned around in large part due to the fact that the train tracks kept showing up on different sides as we stumbled around. WITHOUT US CROSSING THEM! We didn't realize the tracks went through a tunnel. IN the dark we were oblivious to the fact they were passing UNDERNEATH us. Oh well it's things like that that make trips and create memories.

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
Does it give any kind of measurement of AH left in the battery?
Yes it measures amps in and out. When you hook it up, you charge the batteries fully and connect it, then tell ti your battery bank size and it does the rest.

Freebird

Adventurer
Howard-
That on/off repeat cycle is moderated big time by the thicker bottom on the pan.... like a flywheel moderates a piston engine power strokes.
Also, the temp regulation is by percentage of time on.
On cheaper conduction units, maybe the on/off cycling is slower than on the higher end units...?
We have a home induction unit that we have had for 25+ years and it is great to use, plus high efficiency.

I have 2x11kg propane bottles. Full blast burner is 5000 btu/hr. That is 206 hr of full blast cooking, enough for >1yr camping. Diesel is of course used for hot water and heat.

Davidl13

Adventurer

One thing to consider is your travel behavior... if you are moving every 24hrs, and I assume your high current alternator is charging your battery bank, then every time you move, you charge your batteries... or do you move every 48 hrs? 72 has? Etc...

Perhaps you like to park and not move for a week... you can start your engine every few days...when needed... and it does not take long to get to 80%....

Do you have AGM or lion batteries?, I assume you have a battery monitor??? What data does it give you?

HowardH

Adventurer
One thing to consider is your travel behavior... if you are moving every 24hrs, and I assume your high current alternator is charging your battery bank, then every time you move, you charge your batteries...

Do you have AGM or lion batteries?, I assume you have a battery monitor??? What data does it give you?
Yes I do have dual alternators on the truck. I think its 360 amps combined. And I have an 8D AGM battery.

I do typically move every day. The only info panel I have shows the voltage of the battery. Or perhaps its the voltage at the inverter? The inverter has to be on for it to display any info.