New Expedition Camper - Overland Explorer

Too high of pressure should result in more wear in the center, not the edges.
True, however I have been told that the too narrow rim is creating an exception, by squeezing out the center, and should be taken into consideration when evaluating the tire wear.

Fact is at 70 psi on a flat surface I could see daylight under the very edges of the tread, right where the wear is occuring.

Sigh, everything is a trade off.

java

Expedition Leader
True, however I have been told that the too narrow rim is creating an exception, by squeezing out the center, and should be taken into consideration when evaluating the tire wear.

Fact is at 70 psi on a flat surface I could see daylight under the very edges of the tread, right where the wear is occuring.

Sigh, everything is a trade off.
Hang on, daylight?! And your still getting edge wear (where its not touching?). The pinch on them is definitely doing weird things.

EDIT: and I looked at the load table.... doesn't go that low of weight for your size! I would drop some more pressure.

java

Expedition Leader
OK went and dug back through all the pics.

Take a look at these.

Current rear pressure, no contact at the outside edge (on flat ground it appears)

And at 35psi rear (from earlier) edges are down.

Front should be similar, the loads on the tires are close.... I would say drop a bit more....

Gabe, I agree. My fronts are currently at 65. I’ll run that psi through this week and drop at least 5lbs when I reach cooler temps up north.

I guess I should do my math a bit better 31 litres per 100 is about 8 miles per gallon....

I ran a the first set of Toyos on my truck and they wore fine front and rear and I ran them on factory rims (supposedly to narrow) I am on the second set now and I get all kinds of weird wear on the front first pic is drivers side noticed out side edge was wearing took truck into dealer to get alignment checked and ball joints

They said everything good they rotated the tires and said all is fine (looked like 2nd pic then) less than 5000 km later the tire is almost bald they say nothing wrong. It's the tires Pic 1
Then one day the truck starts changing lanes by itself and I take it in again and the front wheel bearing is toast. Cause of bad wear The second pic is the passenger side and it looks to be wearing fine just way faster than the rears though. This set of tires has about 20,000 km on them and one is done other 65% and rears look brand new I run my fronts at 65-70 psi and rears at 70 (most days I have 5000-6000 lbs of weight on it) and tow 30,000 lbs .

I have read that these (rams) have bad alignments from factory but I got good even wear on my first set but not the second the fronts have worn way faster than the rears this time
The only thing that I can think of the fronts not wearing the same this time is mabey the tires are from different batches of rubber???
IMG_7926.JPG IMG_7927.JPG

Returned from three weeks in the far north. Drove 6267 miles with my truck and camper. Everything performed fantastic. Love my camper. Rock solid and stable. Everything works and functions perfectly.

Lowered my tire pressure. Drove the entire trip with 55 psi in the rear and 50 in the front. Really smoothed out the ride. Held me speed at a max of 60 and most of the time, if conditions allowed, I was at 55. Averaged 11.7 mpg for the trip. Very happy about that.

Lowered my tire pressure. Drove the entire trip with 55 psi in the rear and 50 in the front. Really smoothed out the ride. Held me speed at a max of 60 and most of the time, if conditions allowed, I was at 55. Averaged 11.7 mpg for the trip. Very happy about that.
Your tires as spec'd (5500@110) call for 60 front and 45 rear if your weights in post #245 are correct.
max. load(5500) divided by max. psi(110) = 50 psi per lb. 50 divided into tire load(3000 frt)=60 psi frt., (2250 ea.r)= 45 psi rear
You have a very nice rig and I enjoyed reading your post. Thanks for sharing.
My current '12 Ram 3500 diesel 4x4 SRW is hauling a chassis mount 3800 lb. Tiger coach, 11,200 GVW. 6,800 rear, 4,400 ft. Using my tires spec'd sidewall data, 4,000 @ 80 I run 65r and 45frt. They still look new with 22,000+ miles on them. I average 13+ MPG @ 60+ MPH. I have manual hubs on front. King 2.5 shocks made a big difference in the ride quality. Air bags rode horrible, I removed them at 3,000 miles.
Cheers, see you OTR

Thank you. I never considered that approach before, to calculating tire pressure for specific weight, makes sense.

I do continue to have issues with odd tire wear on the fronts. I will set them at 60 psi and monitor them.

Weights are as correct as a certified scale can make them. ;)

Here are updated weights. I thought I had posted them already. These are the weights as we left fully loaded for our Alaska trip.

Total 16,340
Front 6300
rear 10,060

Your tire wear issue might be shocks and the full time hubs. My Ram had unit bearing full time hubs for the first 24,000 or so. Tires wore poorly, even with 5,000 mile rotations, where almost shot. I sprung for a set of King 2.5 shocks and a manual hubs conversion. Also installed Nitto Ridge Grapples tires which now have 22,000+ yet show no abnormal wear and look new. Shocks and hubs will cost over 4G but worth it IMO.

No its due to 6" wide wheels and tires (265x70r19.5) that require MN of 6.75 and suggested to be 7.5.

OEM tires 225/70r19.5 with over 20,000 miles showed even wear.

Last edited:
Just an FYI American Force sells wider direct bolt on 19.5" wheels if you haven't checked into them yet.

I also had the same experience with Rickson on a customer truck. He called, ordered and paid for what he wanted himself and had them shipped to my shop. 3 times the length of time they quoted with no updates. Couldn't get a response to emails or phone calls and then one day they just showed up without warning.

Another thing to consider is Stazworks is supposed to be intrdrocing an aluminum, direct bolt on, all position 20" dually wheel in the spring for f450 f550 trucks.

David

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk