New Generator - Thoughts on size, make, model

john61ct

Adventurer
The DC output from most gensets is basically irrelevant, way too low a current even if it were well regulated.

I'm not saying anything about quality of the current output, to me that is irrelevant.

My point is that you can just run the genny for an hour to replenish your lithium bank for many days of fridge usage.

And of course you need a good charger, sized just below the max genset output.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I don't know why people make claims, can't back them up, then try putting the onus on anyone questioning them to do the claimant's research. You made the claim, you support it. Basic stuff, and for all your claims of "stock rooms of fridges awaiting repair due to being powered by top brand and cheap generators alike," you haven't supported your claim in any way. Not once.

I've posted links to waveforms of generator output, generator manuals, and even explained the difference between generators that likely has led to your unsupported belief that all generators destroy portable fridges. Again, what have you posted? "I was told something, I saw something, prove I didn't." :rolleyes:

Frankly, I'm tired of seeing this in the world. If there really is a problem, by all means tell everyone about it. That's good of someone to do, and I appreciate their efforts. On the other hand, if it's just unsubstantiated opinion being offered as objective fact, that's a problem. Otherwise, everyone just spouts their opinion as fact, and no one can tell what's true or false.
Again !!!,, I am not going to post the links for you after you keep implying that I am lying, Tell Me ? what would I gain out of posting that there is a problem by doing this, I am not marketing a new super product that will save the worlds fridges, I don't have a book coming out and I don't sell fridges or generators,

And as John61ct pointed out still stands, because why would you want to plug a 12v fridge via it's AC lead in to a 110/240v generator when it is far more cost effective to run it from a 12v power source like a Battery and it will run for days from a battery where as running it from a generator will require you having to get up in the night to refuel the thing Not to mention the noise of it keeping you awake at night, and some campsites have a ban on generators altogether, And it is a fact that running a fridge via a 12v/24v system is by far the most reliable than any other form of power with genuine grid power being a close second.

Last edited:

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Sure. That's what I've done, and what is recommended in generator manuals when a battery is in the mix.

OP appears to be looking at other consumers, likely AC powered. For some reason, 67cj5 believes that portable fridges have some kind of special power requirements that are unique among other loads. When asked, he can't offer more than, "It's true!"
Wrong, I can offer more but because your pia attitude you can ???

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
Personally I think this level of vehemence and personal attacks are harmful to the community, regardless of who is right or wrong.

Specially since the irrelevance of y'all's disagreement applies to the OP use case as well.

Only time I can see running a genset without batteries buffering is like a site with big draw power tools only used for a while, run & shut down as needed.

As soon as power needs to be available 24*7 as with fridges, then the charge-and-shut-down model is the way to go.

shade

Personally I think this level of vehemence and personal attacks are harmful to the community, regardless of who is right or wrong.

Specially since the irrelevance of y'all's disagreement applies to the OP use case as well.

Only time I can see running a genset without batteries buffering is like a site with big draw power tools only used for a while, run & shut down as needed.

As soon as power needs to be available 24*7 as with fridges, then the charge-and-shut-down model is the way to go.
I'm tired of getting attacked for asking questions, and you're right, I've put more into this than was necessary.

@67cj5 - My apologies for letting the tone be less than it should be.

rayra

Expedition Leader
...and Shade drags down another topic with his BS content-free demands. Can't tell if the guy is autistic or just deliberately trying to wreck everything he can. Go look in any topic he posts in. He's doing it everywhere.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
...and Shade drags down another topic with his BS content-free demands. Can't tell if the guy is autistic or just deliberately trying to wreck everything he can. Go look in any topic he posts in. He's doing it everywhere.

Oh....wait.....the smell of hypocrisy in the morning........ya know, I respect it when people ask object questions. It kinda requires people to think and backup their “keyboard” position. Shade tends too ask those questions.......kinda requiring people to back up their position like when you accused me of being a limey and therefore having no standing in America without any objective proof........good times......right?64A92FA7-B651-4B19-81A8-B8F995445AC0.png

Last edited:

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Yep I agree, And there's an easy way to test what I said and that it is fuel the Generator up, start it, and measure the Hz and then shut the fuel off and instead of being at "say" 50Hz If it starts going up to 60 and down to 40Hz then it's going to kill the fridge, Although Honda and Yamaha are better than the rest it can still happen, And it can cost a person 4 to 500$ to get the fridge repaired to replace a 0.50c part being a Capacitor which is what normally blows when this happens.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Well as the motor revs up and down the frequency changes as does the voltage which is how the damage is done,

Honda and Yamaha are one of if not the safest generators but even they have been known to cause this,

But as John61ct pointed out, Why would you want to run a fridge on a Gas Guzzling Generator all day and all night when a 12v Battery will run it for days for free,

Also that brings up the point of why would you buy an expensive 12v Fridge just to run it on AC 100/240v when there are much cheaper options out there, and a Generator should be seen as a backup plan not as a primary source of power when Solar is so much cheaper to run, Generators are Great for Aircon units, Washing machines and microwaves and all other high powered Items But a fridge can use as little as 6Ah per 24 hours depending on size and model and the Temps.

As a side Note I have a Generac Portable generator that has AVR and it has a volt meter on it and depending on the RPM the voltage changes and I can set it to just about any voltage just by setting the RPM and in saying that when the fuel runs out the Voltage goes all over the place peaking up to 300v AC and down to 100v AC and that has built in AVR.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
All right what I do here? I have started receiving reports about this thread. Delete everything from the first page? Spend an hour trying to figure out who is right and who is wrong? Delete individual postings and then see another thread popping up asking why I have deleted such and such post..

Can you please make everyone's life easier and just get along...

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Gentleman - I will not hesitate during these extra stressful times to give you all a vacation from Expedition Portal. Either you get along and follow the terms of use or you don't participate.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
All right what I do here? I have started receiving reports about this thread. Delete everything from the first page? Spend an hour trying to figure out who is right and who is wrong? Delete individual postings and then see another thread popping up asking why I have deleted such and such post..

Can you please make everyone's life easier and just get along...
My Point is that people should be aware of the pit falls of what Can, Does and might happen when connecting a fridge in to a Generator, It is a warning and nothing more, Those who choose to do so then more power to them and fingers crossed and I hope it all goes well,

Just for peace of mind in defence of what might happen, it would be wiser to place a battery between the fridge and the generator to act as a buffer,

All other undertones within this thread I am not interested in being involved in and will not be part of, Due to the investment cost of fridges it would be selfish of me to sit back and watch others make the same mistake as others have done Knowing that I could of saved them a lot of heartache not to mention the money involved,

Thank you for your concerns, (y)

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
Just as others can state they believe there are no such dangers, at least not from modern inverter gensets with better regulation nowadays.

It should be possible to state such an opinion without demands for proof or personal insults and attacks.

And then my point being, that there should be a battery bank in the mix anyway, true for any energy source type really,

so therefore, I don't think that point of disagreement matters anyway.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Well John I look at it this way, Using a battery as the primary power source is cheap insurance and it is a set and forget setup and when coupled with a good 20/30Ah Charger via a Generator even a cheap one will have the batteries topped up within 4 or 5 hours if the battery/s are down to about 50% So the fuel cost is low as is the noise level because it only has to be run every 2 or 3 days depending on the size of your battery bank,

Even a 200$ generator can be used safely if a battery is between it and the fridge. (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles