New Generator - Thoughts on size, make, model

shade

I already apologized for my part in this. I have nothing more to add on the topic.
I've delete all but one of my posts with a counter to 67cj5's position.
People can make up their own minds about whether it's a valid concern.

@Christian P. & @Dendy Jarrett: If rayra wants to follow me around to launch more attacks, please address that with him.

Last edited:

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I already apologized for my part in this. I have nothing more to add on the topic.
I'll delete all but one of my posts with a counter to 67cj5's position.
People can make up their own minds about whether it's a valid concern.

If rayra wants to follow me around to launch attacks, that's a problem to address with him.
No Mate leave it be or the thread wont make sense, It's Ok and you have a right to have a different point of view, It's all good mate, No harm done, Ok.

shade

No Mate leave it be or the thread wont make sense, It's Ok and you have a right to have a different point of view, It's all good mate, No harm done, Ok.
Thanks, but I already took care of it.
Do as you please.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Thanks, but I already took care of it.
Do as you please.
Mate it is not a personal thing so please don't take offense, If we don't thrash these things out then we would be none the wiser,

Anyways I hope you have a change of heart and carry on with the discussion,

burleyman

I am far from a 12v portable fridge expert. The following is just from personal observations.

After much head-scratching, the Edgestar/Whynter/Engel models were my choice due to having an inexpensive Chinese DC power supply for running the compressor when connected to an AC source:

Although never having seen the guts of a Dometic in person, internet searching seemed to reveal a more intricate/proprietary circuit board to power the compressor from an AC source, and possibly, a variable speed type? I'm ignorant.

That ignorance also influenced the decision to go with the simpler for me to understand brands mentioned above. Below is the very simple, not quite true diagram of my Edgestar. The AC adapter is the type DC power supply linked above.

edgestar.png

The not quite true part seems to be the dots that show the Ac adapter/dc supply being directly connected to the input DC connections from a DC source. I've seen no DC present on the unplugged DC terminals when connected to an AC source. Seems to be relay action to automatically connect to battery if AC is lost.

I have purchased a number of those cheap power supplies, mainly for others after having seen mine, up to 12V/50 amps to use for dumb bulk battery charging. Much lighter and more portable than typical battery chargers for short, timed , or observed bulk charging. Adjustable voltage output.

Those DC supplies are dated, simple and fairly robust. There are protective devices at the AC input that have stood a looong test of time against trashy AC inputs, and are discrete components that can be replaced.

It would be sad if any brands of 12v fridges have not been thoroughly tested for AC input abuse.

Hopefully someone will provide technical answers, and if not, it's a commentary on resellers of products made elsewhere, with only salesmen extolling features and how to operate.

AC compressors have withstood awful generator AC outputs since my late fifties childhood days when the guy with the only generator around was a local hero going home to home during relatively frequent power outages.

john61ct

Adventurer
Not the mechanical components, so much as the PCBs, not just expensive but can be impossible to source in future years.

Engle, ARB are known-good very reliable.

Use 12V input and a battery as a buffer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior