New guy with a Samurai

Hey all!

I'm new to the forums but I can already tell I'm going to be learing a lot of information.

Right now I'm trying to decide tire size and I'd like to get some input from otjer samurai owners..

I'd like to keep the vehicle low. (no lift) I'd also like to keep the gearing good for highway driving because this is my daily driver.

So my question is, what is a good comprimise tire size? I don't want to kill my mpg and not be able to drive at 65mph but I also don't want to go so small that I'm useless on the unpaved adventures. I don't plan on going crawling, mudding etc.. most of my 4x4 use is in the snow, desert, the occasional beach. My first impression would be 235/75/r16

Thanks to everyone!!
-JP

Last edited:

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
a good place for info is http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content i am known by the same nickname there. .. the 235s are ok but they do take off of your top end speed and the 1.3 was never known to be a rocket ship. mine when i had it could tackle amost everything with that. with 235s and the zuks weight its becomes a little harsher on the highway due to the stiffer sidewalls of the taller tire that isnt matched by the weight. not much but when i went to a set of 215s it was a noticeable difference. but when aired down its a great ride for the snow ...

Spokerider

Hey all!

I'm new to the forums but I can already tell I'm going to be learing a lot of information.

Right now I'm trying to decide tire size and I'd like to get some input from otjer samurai owners..

I'd like to keep the vehicle low. (no lift) I'd also like to keep the gearing good for highway driving because this is my daily driver.

So my question is, what is a good comprimise tire size? I don't want to kill my mpg and not be able to drive at 65mph but I also don't want to go so small that I'm useless on the unpaved adventures. I don't plan on going crawling, mudding etc.. most of my 4x4 use is in the snow, desert, the occasional beach. My first impression would be 235/75/r16

Thanks to everyone!!
-JP

235 75 15

There IS NO perfect tire size for the anemic stock Samurai. It's all about making compromises, what you just gotta have vs what you will no longer have.
This question has been asked by about every *new* samurai owner over the last 30 years...........google it and you will receive many discussions.

Much more zuk reading over here;
http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
the P's will have a lighter sidewall and ride better on the road . the LT's will have a stiffer sidewall for off road BUT its a trade off . the LT's will be noisier but if your doing a DD and not too abusive the P will be sufficient for you . Dont forget the weight class of the tires vs the weight of the sami"s. i was running LT 235s on my samurai and found them good for all around use but on long highway runs they are noisy. But once i go off road i didnt have to give them a second thought. read through my thread http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content?topic=131316.0 tires was never an issue when i was running my General AT2 Grabbers. (LT) with them on i never had an issue with traction or sidewall give

stevec

Adventurer
As someone who has owned a Samurai for over 30 years, I will add my input:

P series tires will be fine for what you plan to use it for. As a bonus, they generally give slightly better mpg's.

235's would be good, but like others have said, you'll lose a lot of power. You'll have almost zero acceleration ability in 5th gear.

One "compromise" tire I've always liked is the General Grabber AT2 in 225/70R15. It's a bit shorter than the 235's, which will help with power and mpg's, but taller and wider than 215's. The tread is very similar to the old style BFG A/T's, which gives it a nice look, and it should be more than enough tire for desert and beach running.

Another benefit of smaller tires is that they are cheaper...

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My friend did the TDI conversion on his Samurai.That's one sweet ride!
In addition he lifted it and put some floaters on the rims.

CoolMooseMan

Samurai Investor
My current set up that I am fully impressed with is as follows:

I opted for the 1.6l 16v because I found one for super cheap from a buddy

I have 215 75 r15 BFG Mud Terrain KM2's

Stock tranny, t-case, differential gears

An automatic locker in the rear

and a 2 inch Calmini shackle reverse lift kit

I have out wheeled numerous big expensive rigs all the way to the top of double black diamond trails at OHV parks. Yet she is currently my daily driver. I get about 20 mpg and it's a little loud only because of the soft top.

I have plans to go bigger and mess with more lift and diff and t-case gears later on, but right now she goes absolutely everywhere I want her to without questions. I only carry a come-a-long and only used it once so far.

They are extremely capable rigs and if you keep it pretty simple, still very comfortable on the road. I have driven it 600 miles away before and it worked like a champ.

Last edited:
How do the more aggressive treads hold up to mainly highway use? I'd imagine the wear wouldn't be too bad because of how light they are...

General Automag

Adventurer
We are new Samurai owners too. After researching a LOT, we found Myron at Zuks Off Road
http://www.zuksoffroad.com .

By far, he is the most knowledgeable authority on Suzuki and Samurais out there. He will personally speak with you and take the time to go through your questions. You'll save yourself a lot of time and money using Zuks as a resource.

We have a stock '88 Samurai that we are starting with. Just remember, just like with other vehicles, that you have to decide what you want to do with your Samurai and where you want to drive it. The Samurai with 29's or 30" tires will go most any place you will want to drive simply because of the size and weight.

stevec

Adventurer
How do the more aggressive treads hold up to mainly highway use? I'd imagine the wear wouldn't be too bad because of how light they are...

Wear is about nonexistent. Depending on the tire, you'll notice more noise in a soft top, and mileage will drop slightly even without changing the tire size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior