New guy with FE180 -- wanting bigger turbo etc

Taemian

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for mod options and info on my newly purchased 2006 Mitsubishi FE 180. It is called the Canter elsewhere in the world (I'm in Canada) with the five ton weight rating and an automatic trans. I've seen the great FE and FG campers and am looking for turbo upgrades and other mods for this truck. I know there must be something out there, as I have inlaws who live in NZ near Tologa Bay and always send me cool photos of awesome Canter expedition trucks. There has to be a modding community!

Outside work, we drive a 2009 Landrover LR3 (I think it's called Discovery 3 everywhere else in the world??) and my toy is a 2004 Mercury Marauder with an all aluminum, supercharged 645hp motor that I built and race. I'm a longtime gearhead, but totally new and clueless to the world of diesels and turbos. Any and all info on the Canter platform would be much appreciated. Aiming to built the fastest delivery truck in the western hemisphere!:smiley_drive:

Taemian

Nobody has upgraded their turbo or knows of any company who does? Also looking for no OEM shock recommendations for a better ride, and a oilable air filter. Neither K&N nor Air-Raid has anything.

Over 100 views with no news? Yikes!

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
(I'm in Canada)
If you were on this side of the world I could possibly recommend some companies to talk to, but you're not, so that makes things more difficult.
There are a few threads here that discuss upgrading from the OEM shocks. Many people have tried numerous options in this area. You could start by looking here... http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/84096-Replace-stock-shocks
Out of interest... why do you want to go with a wet filter?

Taemian

I'm a gas engine guy, but the thing I keep getting with diesel info is that it needs to breathe. Any reusable style filter shows decent gains vs a standard paper element. Can't believe that even in the "outback" there is no K&N with all the dust.

I have a Brother-in-law in NZ who is also a gearhead, he can send me parts and stuff...I just need sources.

I'll take a look at the link you provided, thanks so much!

jhrodd

Adventurer
Isuzu sells an NPR with a 6.0 Vortec V8 which has nearly twice the hp of the Fuso diesel, maybe you should start with one of those. The vast majority of these cabovers are mundane p&d or landscape trucks and even among the tiny RV and Expedition community I don't think speed is high on the list of desirable attributes. It doesn't appear on my list at all.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I am sure that someone will correct me if I am wrong here, but when a paper element gets clogged with dirt you just lose horsepower, as the engine cannot breath well. On the other hand... if a wet filter becomes dry, dirt particles can pass through it.
Neither is a good scenario, but one has a much higher potential of doing damage to the engine than the other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94