New GXV appears at Overland Expo

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
I like it without a cab over. Notice that the top is tapered inward to reduce the visual impact of the overall size ? It would likely need to be even taller to accommodate a cab over with enough height to not feel like a coffin. I like this kind of cabin design.

There was mention of it being sold as a Tortuga Expedition Camper on the display in front of the vehicle. Obviously Wescotts had a hand in the design but it is a larger box than on the actual Turtle.

It's a strange mix of things. Hutchisons on stock size tires make no sense and the overhangs and closeness to the ground will severely limit it's ability offroad. Granted that could be rectified with a set of MPT81's and the appropriate suspension but as setup it looked pretty helpless.

The space afforded by the box was nice and the ability to dress it out as you see fit was a nice option.

Hutchinsons on stock tires?
The thing has 40.7 inch 335/80R20s on Hutchinson wheels. Not exactly stock tires. Although they could possibly be 35.5" 19.5s, looking at the pictures on p 1

Charlie

Last edited:

JRhetts

Adventurer
My thoughts exactly. Since you are above the profile of the cab why not do a cab over bed? I bet they have a good reason but to my ignorant eyes it would seem to add a lot of space and not that much weight. Wonder what the cost would be? For 130,000 a cab over would make it much more dare I say practicle?

re: cab over versus no cab over configuration

i do not know if it is one of the reasons for the no cab over design, but surely it could be one of the benefits:

to access much of the engine for repair, including ordinary parts like a water pump, one has to either: remove the cab (a 20 min. procedure by an experienced technician), or remove the engine through the radiator opening. The latter requires special hoists and is a very long procedure.

Thus the lack of a bed space over the cab may preserve the option to remove the cab to perform needed repairs. Cab over beds, as on the EarthRoamer, prohibit this, and force one to remove the engine to repair inaccessible parts.

dzzz

to access much of the engine for repair, including ordinary parts like a water pump, one has to either: remove the cab (a 20 min. procedure by an experienced technician), or remove the engine through the radiator opening. The latter requires special hoists and is a very long procedure.

Is that still true with the 2011 ford diesels? I was assuming some level of sanity returned with the new motor. I would want a cab over on a pickup.

If the layout of the interior is changed I don't see how this can be a "turtle". I expect one reason the turtle didn't have a cab-over was the engineering was complicated for a homebuilt.

haven

Expedition Leader
Since this is a Turtle replica, or course it lacks a cab-over bed. If you want a cab-over, GXV can provide it in a different model, such as the UXV-550.

dzzz

Since this is a Turtle replica, or course it lacks a cab-over bed. If you want a cab-over, GXV can provide it in a different model, such as the UXV-550.

I thought the turtle had cabinets across the front of the cabin. Don't see with the door placement how that can be possible.

JRhetts

Adventurer
Is that still true with the 2011 ford diesels? I was assuming some level of sanity returned with the new motor.

I believe so, tho I am not positive — I no longer visit the Ford dealerships so have not asked since 2010.

While they indeed have a new motor, it still fills the entire engine space, thus the probable need for cab removal to get at otherwise inaccessible parts. It's a volume thing, not a desired design specification.

JRhetts

Adventurer
Don't bring up a fault of one of the "ExPo Darlings" or you will more than likely be banned for bad behavior!!!!

Given that EVERYTHING is a compromise and therefore has faults in someone's eyes — I'll chance it. [Of course, my vehicle is perfect.]

SuperCal

Adventurer
Is that still true with the 2011 ford diesels? I was assuming some level of sanity returned with the new motor. I would want a cab over on a pickup.

If the layout of the interior is changed I don't see how this can be a "turtle". I expect one reason the turtle didn't have a cab-over was the engineering was complicated for a homebuilt.

taken from a ford press release about the new 6.7 powerstroke:

•The new engine architecture enables easier service work for all major engine components, potentially reducing downtime. On turbocharger service, for example, the body/cab no longer has to be removed from the frame to access the turbo; also, the high-pressure fuel pump, EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) components and thermostats are directly accessible from the front of the vehicle.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Unless GXV wants the Turtle name, why the need to license anything?
I was wondering the same thing.

PS- Does anyone know what shop or person actually built the Turtle for the Westcott's? Their website mentions how unhappy they were with Safari Vehicles but they never mention who finished the project in California.

haven

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the link.

I was way wrong in my guess that the prototype is a F350! The production vehicles will be built on the F550 cab/chassis with 6.7L diesel. Overall length of the camper section is 13 ft.

The camper has an optional slide out for the bed area. I'd like to learn more about this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94