New Ham Radios: Coming Soon

k6uk

Adventurer
Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu all have new radios in the pipeline.
Here's what I have so far:

Yaesu:
First on the list is the new Yaesu FTM-10R - which has bluetooth (yes you can use a headset) and a mic on the front panel.
ftm10r.jpg

- Wideband receiver
- Broadcasting support (including MF!)
- Bluetooth ready
- Dual receive (no more details about available)
- Split tone
- Detachable front panel

Next from Yaesu is a new HF Rig - the FT-450
ft450.jpg

It looks like this would make a nice camp radio.

ICOM:
Icom's new dual bander:
ic2820h.jpg

This is a much needed upgrade, since the 2720 really was a stinker.
It has some nice features, such as diversity recieve and is DSTAR digital upgradeable. It's a nice looking unit, but I suspect it will be pricey.

KENWOOD:
Just released is news of new Kenwoods, but no real details yet. Just some sneak peek photos. But you can expect some nice APRS features on the new TM-D701A

Here's the TM-D701A
tmd701a.jpg

and here is the TM-V71A
tmv71a.jpg

BTW www.rigpix.com is a nice source for new radio information.

Last edited:

gary in ohio

Explorer
Everyone is getting ready to show off the new radio's at "DAYTON"
"DAYTON" is the Dayton hamvention one of the largest ham radio conventions in the US. http://www.hamvention.org/ If your anywhere near dayton May 18, 19 & 20 and your interested in radio's of any type its worth going to.

PhulesAU

Explorer
I really like that Yeasu, but I'm not thinking that mike will be much use if you're not parked. ( in a jeep) anyway.

J_L

Observer
The Yaesu rigs are always pretty cool, that company is always the leader in design (but maybe not performance).

spressomon

Expedition Leader
k6uk said:
Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu all have new radios in the pipeline.
Here's what I have so far:

Yaesu:
First on the list is the new Yaesu FTM-10R - which has bluetooth (yes you can use a headset) and a mic on the front panel.
ftm10r.jpg

- Wideband receiver
- Broadcasting support (including MF!)
- Bluetooth ready
- Dual receive (no more details about available)
- Split tone
- Detachable front panel

Next from Yaesu is a new HF Rig - the FT-450
ft450.jpg

It looks like this would make a nice camp radio.

ICOM:
Icom's new dual bander:
ic2820h.jpg

This is a much needed upgrade, since the 2720 really was a stinker.
It has some nice features, such as diversity recieve and is DSTAR digital upgradeable. It's a nice looking unit, but I suspect it will be pricey.

KENWOOD:
Just released is news of new Kenwoods, but no real details yet. Just some sneak peek photos. But you can expect some nice APRS features on the new TM-D701A

Here's the TM-D701A
tmd701a.jpg

and here is the TM-V71A
tmv71a.jpg

BTW www.rigpix.com is a nice source for new radio information.

The ICOM IC-2820H is already available...street priced at $650. But digital only.

gary in ohio

Explorer
Yaesu has always been a forward thinking company and goes through several model numbers each year. WIth forward think you do get your share of flops but atleast they are trying. Kenwood is at the back of the pack, long periods of time between models. They pick a good design and then stop. Icom is like kenwood but will put a couple of revisions into a good product before stopping. Icom also is pretty quick to replace a bad radio if revisions to the base model will not help it.

PhulesAU

Explorer
I run commercial band KenWoods because they seem to have the best Audio. and that Yeasu gave me a Mad Max flashback, with the radios mounted over the rear view mirrors and holding the button to talk.

asteffes

Explorer
Kenwood doesn't need to release many models. They get them right the first time. :D I love my TM-V700A. Phenominal radio. It does everything and it just works. The Icoms I've fiddled with were disasters. Terrible UI and even worse documentation. I have little Yaesu experience, but from what little time I have spent they seem reasonably nice and usable.

gary in ohio

Explorer
PhulesAU said:
I run commercial band KenWoods because they seem to have the best Audio.

I have a full set tk-630,730 and 830 commercial kenwood on the ham bands and YEs the audio is great. Solid sound and lots of it.

lacrits68

Observer
icom

Hi!
new icom can be used for APRS too. I find it kind of "passive" security when you can transmit you lokation tru ham radio incase some thing happends when "out there". Then there's no doubt where you are and where to send help!
realy thinking of buying one to get my 706 company! (a bit skame that police and emergency service channels are off limit in this unit!)

http://ham.srsab.se/icom_ham/E2820.html

--Jan--

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
asteffes said:
Kenwood doesn't need to release many models. They get them right the first time. :D I love my TM-V700A. Phenominal radio. It does everything and it just works. The Icoms I've fiddled with were disasters. Terrible UI and even worse documentation. I have little Yaesu experience, but from what little time I have spent they seem reasonably nice and usable.
I've had just the reverse experience. My Kenwood 261A was a GDPITA to program, and occasionally would need to have a full reset done b/c it'd get itself in a flat spin. I'm very hesitant to test the Kenwood waters again b/c of this.

Both the 2100 and the V8k that I've programmed I did w/o much ref, other than initial, to the manual. Straight fwd & simple to manually program. No cross your left pinkie toe under and hold your mouth just right kind of programming steps that the 261 had.

ginericLC

Adventurer
asteffes said:
Kenwood doesn't need to release many models. They get them right the first time. :D I love my TM-V700A. Phenominal radio. It does everything and it just works.

HA! Just like the wonderful displays on the TMV-7As!

I'm not brand loyal at this point. I'm new. I have an Icom IC-28H and the more I use it the more I love that dinosaur. It is easy to program. Clear as a bell and just over all really nice. It has display bulb issues though and the speaker is worn out so I have to use an external speaker now. I have a Kenwood TMV-7A that is a PITA to program. You need a manual to do any function and nothing is intuitive. I don't hate this radio yet, but it frustrates me at times. And even though I have the upgraded display that isn't supposed to get the lines in it. It isn't the greatest display for a mobile. My dad uses the Yaesus he has 3 of them. All very simple to operate and bulletproof reliability. I know all three of these companies have had lemons. It is electronics. Things happen!

gary in ohio

Explorer
MOst radio's are now PIA on programming. You only have so many buttons and lots of functions. If you stay within a brand the procedures stay similar from model year to model year. If you just around then all bets are off. sometimes your better getting the software to program with. I know I am not going to program up 1000 channels on my Yaesu Vx2r when the radio has only 9 buttons and no key pad. Software so much easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior