New Jeep - Gladiator Rubicon

Bobzdar

Observer
I put together a bed side rotopax mount using some parts I had lying around and a rotopax L bracket. I used the extra toolbox mounts that came with the Tacoma mount kit for the above trac rac, drilled out the relevant holes on the L bracket to fit the larger bolts and bolted it together. It mounts to the trail rails inside the bed.

20190717_200007.jpg20190717_200025.jpg
20190717_200032.jpg

I plan to change out the hardware that attaches the mount to the L bracket so I can move it closer to the body using the other set of enlarged bolt holes in the 2nd pic, and add a rubber bumper so it doesn't bounce against the body. The current hardware sticks out just enough to rub against the body using those holes. I might try to rotate it to keep it level with the bed side, but I'm not sure it'll fit. Due to the bump out for the bed light, the brackets can't move back any farther, but it clears the fender where it is, so will work.

Last edited:

Bobzdar

Observer
Just out of curiosity, why not keep the jerry can in the box?

I could easily do that (even using the same mount just flipped around), but with the 5' bed I'd like to keep as much space available for cargo as possible.

I can also run the above in conjunction with the rack and locking bubble so it takes up no space in the bed and the mounts serve double purpose. If I didn't already have most of the parts lying around I probably wouldn't have done it, but it was fairly easy and just cost me the $39 for the L bracket.

Jurfie

Adventurer
I could easily do that (even using the same mount just flipped around), but with the 5' bed I'd like to keep as much space available for cargo as possible.

I can also run the above in conjunction with the rack and locking bubble so it takes up no space in the bed and the mounts serve double purpose. If I didn't already have most of the parts lying around I probably wouldn't have done it, but it was fairly easy and just cost me the $39 for the L bracket.

I can appreciate conserving space in the bed. I think the space above the rear fender might make a decent spot for a shovel (with the head facing back and behind the fender) and/or a hi-lift on the other side.. ?

Bobzdar

Observer
I can appreciate conserving space in the bed. I think the space above the rear fender might make a decent spot for a shovel (with the head facing back and behind the fender) and/or a hi-lift on the other side.. ?

Stop, I'm going to have to buy another set of mounts now :) - but yeah, the way the bed/fenders are laid out, there's room to add stuff to the side without reducing ability to squeeze through tight spots, so I may work on a few others. I have a folding army shovel that packs away in my gear bag, so don't think I'll mount one of those, but a hi lift jack and potentially a water can for the other side.

Bobzdar

Observer
Haven't done a whole lot with the truck recently (other than drive it), but I did add a tonneau cover for when not running the rear rack. It's made for a '15-up Chevy Colorado with 5'2" bed but fits nicely. It releases via a cable underneath the tonneau, so if the bed is shut and locked there's no access (without cutting it, of course) and so far it hasn't allowed any water in.

I'm gearing up for a trip in Nov in NY, so getting my tent set up with a stove jack. Will take some pics later.

chadwicksavage

Adventurer
I wonder if anyone has considered a soft or hard top that extends all the way to the tailgate. Maybe an easy way to recreate the Africa concept?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I wonder if anyone has considered a soft or hard top that extends all the way to the tailgate. Maybe an easy way to recreate the Africa concept?
I've been thinking the same thing. Kinda like a D130 with fulltop.

Cheers
Like these renderings?

Capture.PNG
JeepGladiatorForum-5-Jeep-gladiator-rack_no_rack-jpg.jpg

Afrika concept for reference:

188997_Les_concepts_Jeep_pour_le_Easter_Jeep_Safari_2015.jpg:

That would be pretty sweet. If someone built them, I'm sure they'd sell a ton.

Attachments

• 188997_Les_concepts_Jeep_pour_le_Easter_Jeep_Safari_2015.jpg
    188997_Les_concepts_Jeep_pour_le_Easter_Jeep_Safari_2015.jpg
    746.1 KB · Views: 40

Jurfie

Adventurer
I like those concepts, but the roof rack on the top one would need to have a separation between the roof and bed topper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior