New Jeep Pick Up to be unveiled...The Gladiator

Outdoorsben

Observer
The real question is, how will the expedition/overland crowd embrace this compared to a JKU. Assuming it's a stretch JKU with a bed I can really see how that would be a benefit over a JKU. RTT over the bed instead of on the roof keeping the center of gravity down.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
The real question is, how will the expedition/overland crowd embrace this compared to a JKU. Assuming it's a stretch JKU with a bed I can really see how that would be a benefit over a JKU. RTT over the bed instead of on the roof keeping the center of gravity down.

It probably has a higher payload, it will have more storage space just to bring "more stuff", and slide-in campers and such will finally be an option for the Jeep crowd.

Given it will have the 3.0 eco diesel that should be in the rage of 28+ mpg, I'd say it will be a hit for Overlanding, certainly in North America.

-Dan

GB_Willys_2014

It probably has a higher payload, it will have more storage space just to bring "more stuff", and slide-in campers and such will finally be an option for the Jeep crowd.

Given it will have the 3.0 eco diesel that should be in the rage of 28+ mpg, I'd say it will be a hit for Overlanding, certainly in North America.

-Dan

Yes.

Unless it is $60k vehicle ...

Considering that the Scrambler(?) will be priced at a premium and a fully optioned Rubicon JL is in the $50k neighborhood, I fear $60k may not be an exaggeration.

At that price point, a PW looks affordable.

:(

Yuke

Adventurer
Yes.

Unless it is $60k vehicle ...

Considering that the Scrambler(?) will be priced at a premium and a fully optioned Rubicon JL is in the $50k neighborhood, I fear $60k may not be an exaggeration.

At that price point, a PW looks affordable.

:(

I think it will be well above 60.

A Rubicon can get into the mid 50s. A truck will most defintely tip 60s, now consider the diesel upgrade? Your better off with a 2500 for that money.

GB_Willys_2014

I think it will be well above 60.

A Rubicon can get into the mid 50s. A truck will most defintely tip 60s, now consider the diesel upgrade? Your better off with a 2500 for that money.
Agree 100%

Truck pricing is irrational.

TFL posted a video yesterday of the new Silverado 1500 configured at $68K ...

There is a lot I could do with that money, but buying a light duty pick up is not high on the list.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Agree 100%

Truck pricing is irrational.

TFL posted a video yesterday of the new Silverado 1500 configured at $68K ...

There is a lot I could do with that money, but buying a light duty pick up is not high on the list.
I bet a majority of new car buyers never see the price and just look at the monthly payment to decide affordability. I'd hazard a guess that even a large percentage of under 5-year old used cars are now also purchased with a loan. I'm a cash-and-drive kind of guy and very little under 5 years fit my budget back in 2015.

rkj__

Adventurer
I'm a little bit excited for this release. It seems like it's been a long time in the making. I don't think there are too many surprises left at this point though, as so much information has been released already, along with many renderings, which I suspect will prove to be mostly accurate.

I was even considering one as my next vehicle. But, a few things pushed me away.

1. Expected cost too high.
2. Decided to buy prior to JT being available.
3. Bed too small.

I'm still looking forward to all the video reviews that will follow, both from the media, and once these end up in the hands of YouTubers. I love watching people beat up new stuff on the trail.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
So configure a truck for less than $60,000, if the price upsets you. You don't need a big screen dash, worthless fake leather, tail gate step, diesel engine in a little truck, OnStar eye in the sky, or whatever other gimmick is out there. 4wd, CC, rear locker, done. $40,000.

"What, the platinum comes with neato plastic badging for just $10,000 extra!?! Here, take my wallet."

Next, is TFL going to complain that buying a truck with right hand drive is a $40,000 option? Or that adding AESA radar is $2.2 mil.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles