New Jeep Pick Up to be unveiled...The Gladiator

Clutch

<---Pass
Jeep has lost their focus and their core values.

Maybe, but wasn't Jeep one of the first to introduce the luxury SUV with the Super Wagoneer all the waaay back in 1960's?

http://blog.jeep.com/heritage/1966-jeep-super-wagoneer/

Well the wait is almost over. The debut of this truck will be on the 28th.
My personal opinion after reading just about everything I can get my hands on is that this will be the most capable overlanding pick up truck that you can get in the US. I would compare it to a 79 Series Land Cruiser.

No other mid size truck has a solid front axle, front and rear lockers, a nice payload and (eventually) a diesel. I would not be surprised if this truck starts out around 40k and the Rubicon version (yes there will be a Rubicon version) will probably end up in the mid 50's.

That is how I am looking at it. Closest thing we are going to get to a 79, and cheaper if you see what 79's are selling for new.

https://www.toyota.com.au/main/landcruiser-70/prices

aus to usd

Basic double cab ute would be in the neighborhood of $55K USD.

The Gladiator won't be "cheap" but a bargin compared to what an AEV Brute is going for.

https://www.rubitrux.com/aev-brute-double-cab.html

Last edited:
well I agree and I hope you are right about the cost. But i wonder what ol serge meant when he said it would be deliberatly expensive becuase it is a lifetsyle truck... I think that is the wrong approach becasue there a re a lot of folks who can't afford a"lifestyle vehicle" but work for a living and would love a jeep truck, IMHO

Clutch

<---Pass
well I agree and I hope you are right about the cost. But i wonder what ol serge meant when he said it would be deliberatly expensive becuase it is a lifetsyle truck... I think that is the wrong approach becasue there a re a lot of folks who can't afford a"lifestyle vehicle" but work for a living and would love a jeep truck, IMHO

The Wrangler is a lifestyle vehicle, a pickup version wouldn't be any different....and won't be cheap. Maybe get an S model in the $35K range???

Cheap working man trucks do exist. Ram is blowing out last year's 1/2 tons at some pretty good prices. Have seen RC 4WD's going for sub $20K...it just won't have the "cool factor". Which if we are honest with ourselves doesn't matter what it looks like if we are truly using it for work.

While the Gladiator certainly has the cool factor, and it is going to cost you. Wasn't meant for work anyhow...5' beds aren't really useful for work. Even 8' beds were pretty worthless in our old construction business. Our pickups sat mainly...while the dumps and box vans actually got used.

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
It's $12 000 for Dynatrac Dana 60's. That covers the cost for the Rubicon upgrade? So just have to decide if D60 beef is needed.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
It's $12 000 for Dynatrac Dana 60's. That covers the cost for the Rubicon upgrade? So just have to decide if D60 beef is needed.

I'm interested to see if the JT has different axles than the JL. If not, we know the JL axles are plenty stout and will handle more weight than the JL is rated for!

-Dan

brp

Observer
Does anybody think it will have rear leaf springs like the J8? I also wonder if there will be a full length hardtop, configured like a Defender 110.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Does anybody think it will have rear leaf springs like the J8? I also wonder if there will be a full length hardtop, configured like a Defender 110.

No chance on the leaf springs. All the prototypes have had slightly tweaked coil suspension from the RAM 1500.
I don't see Jeep ever doing a production car again with leafs.

.. A full length hard top is something I hadn't though of.. the problem is the cab is separate from the bed so they can move independently. Any kind of top that bridges that will be in real trouble of cracking.. which is why I wonder what Ursa Minor are going to do.

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles