New kid on the block! AWD Transit with composite camper AEONrv

gregmchugh

Observer
  • Ford Transit all-wheel drive 1-Ton SRW 156” wheelbase cutaway chassis, 9,500lb GVWR
    ● 16" heavy-duty black steel wheels, BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 LT245/75R16 tires, included under mount matching spare tire and jack
    ● Van Compass 2” lift kit with custom heavy duty front coil spring
    ● Falcon custom tuned rear shocks with clearance shock extensions

Does not appear to be an option to increase the GVWR above 9,500 lbs. Is that a limitation of the suspension lift? Or just being an SRW vs a DRW?
Ford actually offers an option to increase GVWR to 9950 lb with the speed governed to 80 mph.

skirunman

Nice looking rig, smart fusion of van and truck camper features. I just checked your website and also skimmed through this thread to find info about rear suspension with no luck, apologize if I missed a description or photo. Is this thing on leaf springs, airbags, etc.? ~What weight is on the rear and front axles when loaded with fuel/water?

We add a Van Compass Stage 3 Topo 2.0 lift kit so upgraded rear leaf spring pack and a differential skid plate. Standard weight is 8,450lb with full 31 gallons of gas on 9,500 GVWR. There is an option from Ford on 2023 on the exact same chassis at 9,950 GVWR where the engine is governed at 80MPH and we are considering that to up the OCCC. The weight is spread front 3,770lb / 4,630 rating, back 4,680lb / 5,750 rating.

Last edited:

skirunman

@skirunman

What is the total weight that can hang externally off the back?

Max tongue weight on the rear hitch?

We rate the l-tracks at 40lbs each so you could hang 80lbs of gear. The full size BFG KO2 spare tire is already under the chassis on a crank down. The l-track is for things like recovery gear, rotopax extra gas, etc.

Class 3 2" hitch with max rating of 4,500lb or 450lb tongue weight. One customer is carrying an off road bike on the hitch. Max towing at full GVWR is 3,500lb.

Brendan07

In the really hot/humid summer months, do you think you will smell the cassette if your outdoor chairs are setup near the entry door? The EKKO has a solid door to the bathroom whereas AEON just has a curtain (assuming entry door is left open).

Last edited:

Davidalanhart

D1253EBC-58E2-4ECB-B7FC-B567DA5D5271.jpeg11CDA2D8-881C-449B-96E3-ADA81A153299.jpeg
I picked up AEON #2 in Reno on Nov 18, 2022. We drove 800 miles to Seattle boondocking along the way. We shipped the rig via barge, home to Alaska. It arrived in Anchorage Dec 20. Super happy with performance so far. Will start using it for winter ski excursions after the holidays in mid-January. I’ll likely start a new thread documenting my thoughts. I also post updates on the Facebook page AEON Owners and Users.

gdaut

Nice. Interested to hear your experiences, especially cold weather camping performance. Is there a good way to seal off the cabin from the van cab/drivers area?

Davidalanhart

Nice. Interested to hear your experiences, especially cold weather camping performance. Is there a good way to seal off the cabin from the van cab/drivers area?
Yes, there is a sliding 2” thick insulated panel door. R15 and very effective. The habitat box is a very efficient unit, cab stays cold while living area is warm.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Yes, there is a sliding 2” thick insulated panel door. R15 and very effective. The habitat box is a very efficient unit, cab stays cold while living area is warm.

The difference between having that door or just a curtain (like we have) must be huge! Jim made the right call with those!!!!
Although our camper part is 100% fine, the driverscab is getting huge amounts of condensation. Even with insulated window blinds and an additional thermal blanket we had a solid sheet of ice on the INSIDE of the drivers cab this past weekend. Driving me crazy! As a result you have water running behind the dash etc.

gdaut

The door between the cab and cabin sounds like a good feature. I guess you lose some light and "airiness" in warm temps, but the gain in warmth and privacy seem worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94