New KLR

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
They're nice bikes. Kawasaki finally fixed the problems that were present in the old model.

Lots of plastic to break in a fall, though.....

-H-

Speaker

Adventurer
Hltoppr said:
They're nice bikes. Kawasaki finally fixed the problems that were present in the old model.

-H-

Yep.. then they cut an inch off the suspension travel. I think the old one looks better

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I think the new KLR's are a great package. I almost pulled the trigger on one back in June. I'm awaiting this fall or next spring now though. Can't wait. Regarding the loss of 1" of travel, from what I undrstand, with the more progressive loading of the springs that it effectively does hinder off tarmac performance. I've yet to ride one yet though, but the consensus from those who have them, is that they love em. I'd love a Bimmer but for the $$ these things are great. I even like the new looks and colors.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Eh, actually its got alot of new upgrades. I looked at the specs of the Wee-Strom and from talking to people who have them or have ridden them, it wouldn't fit my needs not to mention it is more expensive. The reason the old version stuck around so long was that it worked well and it was a great value. I think the '08's offer even greater value.

Scott Brady

Founder
805gregg said:
Same old 1986 POS bike with new wrapping, skip it and get a Wee-Strom.

Ok, why is it a POS? That is a pretty strong statement to be accompanied by no supporting details...

(on ExPo, we typically try to avoid such generalities)

There are at least a dozen of the older models on major RTW trips right now. According to all of my research, they are one of the most (if not the most) reliable DS offerings available. Kind of like the FJ40 of dual-sports. Maybe not the most modern suspension or the best of brakes, but will get you there.

Good topic. I am curious of the rider impressions on the new model too.

LiveRust

Observer
I feel a little out of place in this section since I no longer own a bike, but I check this section out everyday because bikes are still my first passion. I used to own a Honda Transalp and my friend had a Kawasaki KL650 "Tengai". they only sold the Kawasaki one year in the USA, Two years for the Transalp. Anyway, We did a lot of riding on and off road and several extended trips on them and were always comparing the two. I did prefer my Transalp hands down over the Tengai but I wouldn't call it a POS. It was well built. On more serious offroading it handled better than the Transalp and had more travel, but on plain dirt roads or washboard roads the Transalp was much more suited. We never could get his suspension dialed in as well for it. Hopping and needed to slow down to maintain control. I know the KL and the KLR had different cladding but were still very similar where it counts.

a picture from one of the trips.

thanks for letting me relive a great memory.

805gregg

Adventurer
I rode one for 10,000 miles, it is horrible on road and not much better off road. It maybe a strong statement (it's just my opinion) but put **************** in the saddle for 10,000 miles and tell me what you think.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
The Wee-Strom is a GREAT bike. I spent many miles offroad on mine:

27438950-M.jpg

However, the KLR would do better and if I decide to add another bike to the stable, I'd be happy to buy an "old" KLR (I haven't gotten used to the new look, yet).

805gregg- Are those things even broken in at 10,000 miles?

LiveRust

Observer
It did ride like a single cylinder thumper that's for sure, heavy vibrations. On long trips we would switch off bikes for fun and there is no question the V twin honda was much smoother. The 580cc V twin was faster than the KL650from a dead stop as well as high end. My other friend drove a XL650R and it was much better suited offroad than either of ours, but on the better roads he was the one suggesting we rotate bikes. KL road better than the XL. KL never had a mechanical failure. he probably had 7,000 miles on it when he sold it.

sammy

I have a 2007 KLR I couldn't be happier with the bike. I have close to 10000 miles on it now
regards
Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne