New member in need of some Wagoneer 4x4 help!

Billyzack

Hello, I just got my first 1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer and was disappointed when I found it won’t go into 4x4 mode. It has a NP229 transfer case and the vacuum switch and actuator work as they should but it seems the arm on the transfer case won’t move into the 4x4 position. I removed the actuator and tested it and grilled the lever with my hand and it doesn’t budge. I hope I don’t need a new transfer case and was hoping someone has had some experience with these and can give me a tip of how to get it working. If it is broken, are these expensive to rebuild? Can I rebuild it myself? I plan on restoring the car like new and really would like the 4x4 to work. Thanks in advance, Billyzack, Phoenix, Az

NatersXJ6

Explorer
General Advice:

Get all 4 wheels off the ground and the transmission in neutral then mess with it... or remove both driveshafts (be sure to block the wheels first)... if something is binding it, you need that freedom to move everything.

I hve no specific NP 229 advice. Most cases are not impossible to rebuild if you can rebuild other gearboxes ... manual transmissions, industrial boxes, etc... but the tools, bracing, and tips learned through experience are invaluable. The easier answer is swap to a junkyard unit and then take yours apart for experience.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Hello, I just got my first 1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer and was disappointed when I found it won’t go into 4x4 mode. It has a NP229 transfer case and the vacuum switch and actuator work as they should but it seems the arm on the transfer case won’t move into the 4x4 position. I removed the actuator and tested it and grilled the lever with my hand and it doesn’t budge. I hope I don’t need a new transfer case and was hoping someone has had some experience with these and can give me a tip of how to get it working. If it is broken, are these expensive to rebuild? Can I rebuild it myself? I plan on restoring the car like new and really would like the 4x4 to work. Thanks in advance, Billyzack, Phoenix, Az
Were you in neutral when you tried to shift it into 4wd? If you were and it didn't work... put it in drive then, while rolling, shift it into neutral and before it rolls to a stop, try shifting the flag shifter. After it stops, leave the shifter in 4wd. If it hasn't engaged, try shifting into reverse. Then neutral, then drive. Repeat a few times if it doesn't shift.

It is pretty common that a t case that hasn't been in 4wd much can be sticky. If repeating that process doesn't work, check for vacuum leaks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz