New member looking for vehicle advice.

Nclbny

Nclbny... you will be camping a lot, yes?

I do plan on Camping on these trips, yes. The problem with a suburban/expedition is they get too big for me to go for a weekend offroad trail drive with my offroad buddies, and this does have importance to me.

I know I won't find the perfect vehicle to do all but trying to decipher the best compromise of everything. The LR3 does all this but premium fuel and the availability of it in remote places, and questionable reliability and difficulty to find parts. It is what I want but logically I don't think I should.

The Van will never be trailered so this vehicle has no need to tow that much weight.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Problem with LR3, 4Runner, Grand Cherokee and even possibly Tahoe / Yukon is I think you'll run out of space for 4 people and 2 large dogs.

Not sure how you plan on camping but a Roof top tent would delete the opportunity to run a cargo carrier on the roof to help alleviate storage issues. Will you be towing a trailer? Ground tent camping?

Nclbny

So my end plan with these smaller options is to have an offroad trailer that all the gear, food, extra parts, extra fuel ect. travels in and have a RTT (mounted on trailer or roof ) for 2 people and 2 people with 2 dogs sleep in the vehicle. Shorter trips, or trips without kids I would plan on not using the trailer.

It is possible only one dog comes as the other hates travel.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Problem with LR3, 4Runner, Grand Cherokee and even possibly Tahoe / Yukon is I think you'll run out of space for 4 people and 2 large dogs.

Not sure how you plan on camping but a Roof top tent would delete the opportunity to run a cargo carrier on the roof to help alleviate storage issues. Will you be towing a trailer? Ground tent camping?
I usually tell my dad buddies thinking about a 4runner this. Can you fit into a Subaru Outback? No its too small? Then the 4runner is probably too small. The Tahoe is considerably more roomy than the 4runner same for the 1st gen Sequoia far more room for people and gear. I only have one 75lb Doberman who has learned to wedghin self into his bed usually ontop of our duffels surrounded by other gear. 2 dogs? Yeah the extra long suburban or dog crates on the roof lol.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
So my end plan with these smaller options is to have an offroad trailer that all the gear, food, extra parts, extra fuel ect. travels in and have a RTT (mounted on trailer or roof ) for 2 people and 2 people with 2 dogs sleep in the vehicle. Shorter trips, or trips without kids I would plan on not using the trailer.

It is possible only one dog comes as the other hates travel.
Unless your 5’4” 4runner sleeping sucks. I only did it once then ground tented it after that. My Sequoia I did several trips sleeping in the back. I run a 4x6 original Life time tent trailer it has two queen sized beds on either side of the 4x6 floor. It works for us we have done 12 day Utah, GC, Moab trips, and Yellowstone with it. Local trips I can rig 6 bikes on it plus gear for 8+ for a 2-4 day trip.
We used the 2010 2.5L Subaru for 10 yrs on our instate trips ie shorter trips weight vs load limits was more the issue not power. For our Yellow Stone trip 12 days and Moab / NP trip we board the dog given they restrict you too much on where you can go/do etc. The Sequoia on those trips is packed with gear given there isn’t any secure stowage on my trailer. For our typical Sierras and coastal camping the tent works great. For Yellowstone / Moab especially Moab tenting has high risk to the crazy winds and thunderstorms they get. After those trips my dream trailer is a popup hard sided 6x10 short hight box trailer. Short height in tow mode like truck height then another 3ft taller when popped up. Two separate upper bunks to separate kids they sleep best in separate bunks. Then flip down Murphy style bed for parents. Flip it up, toss gear, bikes, whatever in lock it up and go.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I usually tell my dad buddies thinking about a 4runner this. Can you fit into a Subaru Outback? No its too small? Then the 4runner is probably too small. The Tahoe is considerably more roomy than the 4runner same for the 1st gen Sequoia far more room for people and gear. I only have one 75lb Doberman who has learned to wedghin self into his bed usually ontop of our duffels surrounded by other gear. 2 dogs? Yeah the extra long suburban or dog crates on the roof lol.
Yep, I found our Denali was just okay with 2 adults, 2 kids and our 30 lb dog. (Quad buckets) But, that was just road tripping with a few suit cases.

The Suburban we had later had much more room.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My next big trip will be Glacier and likely up to B.C. That trip I’ll just rent a simple 19ft ish Bunk bed Travel trailer probably within 100 miles of Glacier so I’m not dragging it 700 miles before I get there.

My 4x6 crosses NV and Utah at 75-80mph without even noticing. lol

Nclbny

My wife is 5'0" and my kids are both under 8years old right now. So 4 runner could still work as we would both be sleeping with one child. I am 6'3" so I'd be in the RTT.

I have thought a decent XC70 or Outback could work, but once again it means no offroad trail rides with my buddies on the weekends.

Nclbny

I like the suggestion on 1st gen Sequoia. How good are these on more technical trails? I know they are getting a bit big but not like 2nd gen big.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My wife is 5'0" and my kids are both under 8years old right now. So 4 runner could still work as we would both be sleeping with one child. I am 6'3" so I'd be in the RTT.

I have thought a decent XC70 or Outback could work, but once again it means no offroad trail rides with my buddies on the weekends.
8 and 11, been doing big trips since both were 2. I wheeled my Sequoia with a group of Gwagen guys. Only neg was the lack of a locker but it was quite good on stock sized BFGs. I decided that if I did more of that type of stuff no family which hasn’t happened no time for it. I’d just get a dirt bike and toss it on a hitch rack. Club sports dominate my free time now, camping trips mean we miss swim meets which we can sign out of early in the season.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The first Gen sequoias are pretty good on the trail. I was able to stay with some Gwagen guys without doing 3point turns in tight spots those G’s are skinny. Only weakness was lack of rear locker.
Far superior engine and driver than the 4runner. Especially towing on road trips. My 4x6 tow from CA to Moab was 15-16mpg at 75mph.
Our 9 days in Yellowstone doing the Safari style car ride every day at 35-45mph we finished the 9 days at 21mpg Park mileage.
The 07’s got a power bump and like premium gas when going hard but around town regular was fine. 06 Sequoia was fine on regular. The 5spd AT is a must.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
1st gen 07 Sequoia I had was 500lb max tongue 5600lb max with load leveling bars. Most I towed was 3500 which was probably the more realistic long haul go anywhere weight. 4runner is working really hard and headlights shooting stars outa the sky at 3500lb without mods.
I can’t recall exact numbers I think the 07 4.7 was 315hp the 06 was 286ish. Highway trips and mountain climbs I always had to run premium or it rattled and wasn’t happy. Buddies super charged 2006 ish 4runner was the same way but I got way better mileage than he did on the long highway trips.

Nclbny

I still need to lower my Van a bit more with an axle flip and c-notch, and new front suspension, it handles quite good the way it is (clover leaf offramps can be done near 100kph and sports cars have not been able to loose me in the mountains when I go to BC interior) but won't pass tech yet as it is higher then the track width still. But in was going to fabricate a whole new front subframe when I start the LS swap. I just picked up the donation truck a couple weeks ago but need to finish up other garage projects before I dive into that. Also need to figure this overland rig out first because my Van is my daily right now.

Back on subject. Is there no love for a diesel GC? They get good fuel economy, stout engine, great 4WD, and can tow great. I did read the one post that the guy was very underwhelmed, any other feedback.

The 3rd gen 4runner will have big struggles with space and weight, but is so budget friendly.

I would also like to be talked out of an LR3 because I don't think it is a good idea, but I have always wanted one.

Attachments

• IMG_20190429_203453.jpg
    IMG_20190429_203453.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 9

85_Ranger4x4

Okay. Yeah, I was referring to the older ones with the 5.4. Never owned one, just drove one.

I've owned a few 5.3L GM SUV's. They all seemed okay.

I am a Ford guy and I will never own a 3v 5.4.

My wife wants an Expedition and I say: "you can pick year you want, between 97 and 02 or 14 to present (with the 3.5 ecoboost)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior