New Member, not so new truck

R

roadrash

Afternoon/evening....

Just joined, guess this is the best place to start being the "other" category. I can already tell that there are some VERY cool rigs out there and Im sure there will be a lot to learn from others on the Forum.

Ran across the site while searching for options to add a trailer project that I'm working on and by the looks of it, I'm in the right place.

Although I just purchased the trailer, I've had the truck for almost a year now... Its a highly customized 1973 Pinzgauer. I'm located in New England so there really arent to many other PinZ owners here. There are a few around, but not very many.

Picture098-1.jpg

Trailer project is starting with this...

Trailer2.jpg

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
That's definitely one neat rig you gto there. I used to live in CO not too far from a company that sold Pinzgauers and saw them quite often there.

Last edited:
R

roadrash

Thanks for the replies... Anxious to outfit it with more capable gear. First changes that I made were the tires and rims, now sits on Interco TRAXUS tires and custom rims, so its time to move forward with Winch, radios, spare fuel etc. Very interested to see what others have done with roof racks, spare fuel can mounting, off-road lights. (somewhat of a hassle with the pinz given the 24V system).

R

roadrash

Thanks, its pretty clean yes and its one of the only ones that I know about that has a documented return to the factory in Austria in 1999 before being re-imported in 2000 after a full frame off refurb. Lots of creature comforts were added by the factory and the previous owner. DVD, PS2 hookups, 24 to 12V, AC, sound/insulation, custom seats etc and although I really love some of these I'd like to to be as functional as an original. Items I've added... CB, Trunking Scanner, Shortwave receiver, 4 x 105 amp hour deep cycles for all the electronics, fishing poles and lots of stuff on the way.

Here are some other interior pics (some items I've added).

Picture076.jpg

Picture080.jpg

Picture103.jpg

Picture045.jpg

Picture079.jpg

Picture102.jpg

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
Wow, looks like you're ready for the end of society as we know it.
I especially like the gun hatch over the passenger’s seat.

Back in the mid 70's I had a 108" wheelbase Chevy Panel Van that same color combo that I wanted to build like that, with 4 WD and everything you have inside.
I almost got it finished before kids entered the picture.
Never got the 4WD working though.

Very Nice! Brings back a lot of good memories!

I’m sure there others besides me that would love to see more pictures.
And what do you do for sleeping? On mine I had fold down cots off the left side that also served as a couch.

Are you going to finish the trailer in the same mind set?

Subscribed to this one for sure!

Curtis in Texas

R

roadrash

Yes, I'm planning on having the trailer match as much as possible and have extra tries/rims ready that are the same as the Pinz. Oddly the rims are one of the most unique aspects of the pinzgauers... their bolt pattern is VERY unsual so almost every owner either runs military rims or custom. Bolt pattern is 5 x 160mm. The rims pictured are rated for 4500lbs EACH and there were not to many of them around. A couple are available on ebay. Originally the truck had old wranglers mounted and after I had the rims powdercoated swapped them out for the traxus tires. Trailer will have a spare as does the pinz so a total of 8 tires, all identical.

Trailer will likely have to be modified slightly and become spring over to add a bit of height to match up with the pinz. new hubs will also have to be custom machined to achive the 5 x 160 bolt pattern.

Here are some more pictures for those who requested.

Picture064.jpg

The power plant. 4 cylinder in-line air cooled Steyr Engine. 89 horsepower and about 12 mpg (needs to have carbs synced) but should be getting 14 MPG.

Picture082.jpg

Another picture of rear table. Rear has three across seating. The center of the table has the 15" LCD that the previous owner had installed. I may keep it and route it to a toughbook or other laptop for control capability for the scanners/VHF radios/Navigation. Have a much smaller 9" LCD that can be used for TV signals.

Fuel_pump2.jpg

The prototype fuel transfer unit. Couldnt find anything commercially available that would transfer unleaded so I built my own with a Holley Race pump. This is pre construction config so its changed slightly (fuel pressure gauge was unecessary as was the priming bulb). Current config is (inlet) to sediment filter/ visual flow -> pump -> fuel filter/water separator -> output. Tests confirm that it can move 20 gallons in about 15 minutes

Fuel_pump-top.jpg

Fuel_pump-can.jpg

All fits neatly into a surplus ammo can.

uberhahn

Observer
Trailer info

if you are looking for trailer information, the ih8mud.com trailer forum has a very active group with a lot of good ideas.

ttravis5446

Adventurer
That is a sweet Pinz. Back about 5 or 6 years ago I came so close to buying a 710M but I was about $2500 short of buying it and I was unable to convince any banks to finance a 21 year old part time employed tech school student with no credit on a 30 year old vehicle they never heard of. I will have one some day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior