2022 Overland Explorer Vehicles (OEV) CAMP-FX (Renamed "Alpine" as of 2023 model year)

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
Overland Explorer Vehicles (OEV) is introducing a new model; The CAMP-FX pop-up camper (this model has been renamed the "Alpine" as of 2023).
It is a flatbed version of the CAMP-X (CAMP-X was also renamed to "Back Country for 2023).
Product page is now active on their website: https://overlandex.com/alpine/

The CAMP-FX is the same basic design and layout as the CAMP-X (pop-up, cab-over bed, rear entry, galley on the left, dinette on the right). Being that the lower sections do not need to indent to slide into a standard pickup bed, the exterior walls come straight down allowing room for new storage solutions and features in those areas such as exterior-access storage, storage under the dinette seating, wetbath, etc.

It will have underbed storage. Per Arnold, the underbed storage works because flatbed surfaces sit higher, so the overall roof height will be taller and the cabover gap higher, so they decided to fill that gap with underbed storage. This will be nice for those that have been asking for it. Note that this means the overall cabover will be a fair bit thicker/taller than on a typical CAMP-X or CAMP-HBE.

The CAMP-FX will debut at this years Overland Expo West in Flagstaff, AZ from May 20 to 22.

Will be fun to see more CAMP-FX info as it becomes available. For discussion on the original CAMP-X (non-flatbed version), there is already an Expedition Portal thread here: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...-camp-x-pop-up-slide-in-pickup-camper.214329/

----------------
Edit: Specs from website now released:

CAMP - FX
2023 Base Specification
External Dimensions: 141” L x 81.5” W x 62” H (closed) / 85” (open) Internal Dimensions: 137” L x 78” W x 82” H (open)
Powder coated aluminum extrusions
OEV gen 4 composite floor, walls and roof (>=R8) fire rated & insulated soft walls (>=R4)
Locking roof supports/hinges front and back
Dry weight: 1463 lbs (does not include jacks)
Starts At $57,995.00 USD / $73,653.00 CAD

What’s included as standard:

Plumbing/Heating/Cooling;
truma aquago hot water
truma vario heat w/thermostat
multi speed roof vent w/roller blind
20 gal fresh water tank w/12v pump
sagiv inside & outside shower connection
s/s sink w/flush mount glass top
s/s cooktop w/flush mount glass top
wetbath w/a C223CS cartridge toilet

Electrical;
USB plug (dual outlet)
12V auxiliary connection
LED rear entry amber light
LED DS/PS lights
dimmable LED interior lighting
Redarc: The Manager 30 w/display
DOT lighting

Other;
Dual acrylic side window w/blind/screen
screen door
entrance door grab handle
under bed storage

C-shaped dinette folds down into bed

specs.JPG

Last edited:

Ninelitetrip

One interesting possibility would be something similar to the recent Hallmark Nevada 1/2 and 1/2. So half slide in on one side and flatbed on the other. Flatbed side on the kitchen side perhaps to expand stowage and slide in side on the other for external storage box. (video posted on Instagram Jan 20th)

Chadx

Nice. And, they publicly released a couple other items that Arnold had mentioned to me...
Underbed storage.
Under dinette storage
Wet bath

Will be fun to see how all these were implemented. Per Arnold, the underbed storage works because flatbed surfaces sit higher, so the overall roof height will be taller and the cabover gap higher, so they decided to fill that gap with underbed storage. This will be nice for those that have been asking for it. Note that this means the overall cabover will be a fair bit thicker/taller than on a typical CAMP-X.

Edit: Now that specs and images were released, I went back and updated the first few pages with everything.

Last edited:

Crux

The extra storage is really nice. Looks like they had to make the side window a little smaller than a normal Camp-X.

I wish there was a rear side storage opening on the left side to make it easier to slide in long items. Looks like they made the molle rack longer on the left side instead.

All in all some great updates - they are really dialing it in.

sn_85

Observer
Product page is up. I like it but I'm not sure I love it. I think they added a lot of great things to it but in some way it doesn't fill my needs. There's still no way to store long items like ski's and snowboards. While there's now some exterior storage boxes the only way you might be able to sneak those in is sideways at a angle but no guarantee it can fit through depending on length. I kind of wish they added a rear access door so that you could slide items in all the way. The Thetford toilet is nice but I hate that it's fixed. Great if you want a true toilet but it does take up quite a bit of space. I'd prefer to pick my own toilet option and if I had a fancy toilet I'd rather have a Wrappon. The price is also a lot closer to the HBE than I thought it would be as well.

Overall I think it's a great addition but I still think the best setup is a Camp-X along with their Aluma tray with side boxes.

Chadx

Now that specs and images were released, I went back and updated the first few pages with everything. Like "sn-85" reported, details are on their website: https://overlandex.com/camp-fx/

I went back and deleted all my intermediate posts to clean up the thread and consolidated everything. Specs in the first post. I also posted the images so they show up larger in this thread than the little flip pages on the website. Wish they would update the way the gallery works on the website because the images are tiny and can't be expanded to full page. Hopefully my posting them in this thread, in a larger format, helps. I sized them to 1200 wide, but I can go back and make them larger as well (though if I make them much larger, some users might have trouble fitting them on the screen).

PaulPritchard

ArizonaPaul
Wow! Four roof struts per side.

Will be out camping all next week and planning to attend the OverlandExpo West in Flagstaff. Looking forward to seeing the new FX in person.

Chadx

Good deal, Paul. If you can take some pictures and share your first hand opinion of the pros and cons compared to the CAMP-X, that would be great.

Ninelitetrip

Spent some time with Arnold at the Expo. The CAMP FX was parked at ATO next to the ATO AterraXL. General comment. Space is such a premium that everything gets crammed in together. I have only seen one OEV product to date, a CAMP X. It was nice to wander around ATO and BVO and see some OEV stuff. Fit and finish on the CAMP FX as to be expected. I like the layout. I think some people may choose to delete the cassette toilet, that space is huge for storage. With the toilet there the space for taking a shower is small, but for anyone who wants that shower, it will work. My only comment to Arnold on the FX was possibly adding a rear hatch to the left side external storage so that long items like poles or skis can fit in. Means adding a small door and modification to the molle panel. If you want that let OEV know. I did ask about the possibility of say an 8-foot FX, not in the cards for now. Resources, drafting and engineering, are tied up with the BASE CAMP HW and soon to be released SUMMIT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles