T1n final edition build camper 5.0

Paddy

Adventurer
Well I decided to abort camper 4.0 and proceed to 5.0 instead. 4.0 was going to be an earth cruiser type build on a f350 chassis, but the lure of the sprinter won out again. This was mainly because the most fun we’ve had so far in a camper has been the 144” low top I had. Here in western USA the distances are so vast that any camper that isn’t capable of long high speed jaunts is going to get less use for us. Sprinters are great for slaying slabs. They can hold 75 all day long and a 1000 mi day is not out of the question. Sure, we got stuck a lot and in the end that was just more adventure. Except the time we got stuck in sand crossing the VERY frequently used railroad tracks lol, that was one of the times that made me really sweat at the fact that USA didn’t get lucky with 4wd manual sprinters (WHYYYYYYYY!?!?!,!)

Anyway, the other downfalls of the sprinter 3.0 besides the 2wd was the low top, and ultimately the interior space. The thinking is that since the sprinter excels at high speed efficiency and less so maneuverability that we may as well make it longer too and really have some space to play with. Plus, I’m trying to grow the hell up and camp I’m campgrounds like normal people lol. (Feel free to flame that statement I deserve it). So the new sprinter is this

2006 158” dually high top. It was the final year of the wonderful 5cyl 2.7L diesel. This power plant is probably my favorite of all time, and I’ve had some nice ones. It’s powerful, compact, quiet, and very fuel efficient. It’s also surprisingly easy to work on. The 05/06 are known to be the best years of this design.
This van has been wrecked so my first task is to go through it and smooth out the issues and fix sheet metal. The axle was dislodged on the springs and the ubolts bent. The driver side rear is badly bent up so I’m going to re skin the whole back. This will be a new one for me and I’m not quite sure how it will get done but I’m confident I can make it acceptable enough.

So this will be a build thread I guess. This van will also see duty as a gear hauler, and I’d be foolish to make it camper only and forgo the utility of such a rig (like camper 1.0)

Attachments

• 76DA16A9-9896-4FA4-BA4A-FA14E56F3192.jpeg
    76DA16A9-9896-4FA4-BA4A-FA14E56F3192.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Paddy

Adventurer
Since I’ll have major bodywork going on right away I will be having to pick a paint scheme soon and this is what I NEED help with. I’ve seen so many great ones, but I’d like to hear ideas. I’m not afraid to be a little wild, but if itntrends toward the eccentric then it will lose that sprinter stealth factor.

Is there any paint color that stays cool like white in the summer? It almost seems like white is the only color option if you insider ever using in summer. But I see a lot of other colors on these fancy outside vans and the like. They look great but do they cook the dogs in sun?

Paddy

Adventurer
This was camper 3.0. Regretted selling but I thought I couldn’t love without 4wd. Maybe that was true. So this is my first dually and I’m wondering if maybe there is a little more traction potential with a dually? I’ll try it on the sand of course, but I’ll still be scared. The 2500 didn’t much care for it, even aired down. But as I said, we are keeping this one on the hard lol.

Attachments

• 420C28C3-D850-4FB2-A69D-76D6778355CD.jpeg
    420C28C3-D850-4FB2-A69D-76D6778355CD.jpeg
    617.4 KB · Views: 36

b. rock

I have a tan/beige vanagon that stays pretty cool in the summer. Key to that is pulling the shades on ALL of the windows, windshield screen, open every went/crack every window, and run whatever fan you can.

I've talked to some guys with T1Ns and they prefer the DRW for off road traction, fwiw, including UT/CO/AZ sand environments.

Paddy

Adventurer
Great thanks! That’s good intel. I’d like tan actually. But I’ll probably stick to white just for the ease of painting and the stealth aspects.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94