New rear tire carrier Westcott designs

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
From the pictures he posted it looks like the stop signal will be visible, especially at night.
I have a tire carried on my bumper and I also wonder if my right turn signal is visible to those behind me as a driver back there is on the left side of the tire and may not see my right signal all that well. Was thinking of getting lights to put on the back of my roof rack that are visible higher up for turn indicators. The stop light is OK as it is also on the upper part of my rear door.

I'm adding a tailgate light bar to the roof rack and plug it into the 4 pin trailer plug.

F350joe

The Slee bumper is over $4000.00 then the cost of installation. I looked at Wico and Rigdsupply and both did not have the versatility and included options as the @Westcottdesigns .

I have OME heavy 1300lb springs in the rear. Adding the bumper and tire on top of 60 gallons of fuel and the rear did not go down an inch.

That’s sounds like a great set up, you’ll want the weight with the heavy springs. Very nice.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
That’s sounds like a great set up, you’ll want the weight with the heavy springs. Very nice.

Thanks. I still have to finish the back of the truck with a fridge and Tembo Tusk fridge slide drop. I will also be towing a trailer so The heavy springs will be useful. Heck I'm carrying almost 400lbs of fuel.

trae

Adventurer
@mep1811 is this permanently fitted to your vehicle? If not, how do you normally carry your spare? If yes, then what's the advantage over a replacement bumper?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
This is mounted to the trailer hitch and is removable although I have no intention to ever removing it. My spare tire location underneath is being occupied by the 40 gallon aux fuel tank.

The main advantage of this carrier to a replacement bumper is a couple of thousand dollars in cost not counting installation.

A Slee rear bumper is over $4000.00 then installation costs. This carrier was about $1700.00. I also think this carrier is more versatile .

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Some ideas for the rear cargo tray. The tray will fit a 100 QT yeti.

Attachments

• IMG_20200106_114137941_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200106_114137941_HDR.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20200112_171724070.jpg
    IMG_20200112_171724070.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20200113_085720889_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200113_085720889_HDR.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 46

trae

Adventurer
This is mounted to the trailer hitch and is removable although I have no intention to ever removing it. My spare tire location underneath is being occupied by the 40 gallon aux fuel tank.

The main advantage of this carrier to a replacement bumper is a couple of thousand dollars in cost not counting installation.

A Slee rear bumper is over $4000.00 then installation costs. This carrier was about $1700.00. I also think this carrier is more versatile .

Whoa. Slee is very expensive. Are there no other options at more reasonable prices? I'm considering a removable bumper, 'cause my 4x4 is my daily driver. Don't want additional weight there day to day. Not questioning your choice, just trying to follow the logic.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Whoa. Slee is very expensive. Are there no other options at more reasonable prices? I'm considering a removable bumper, 'cause my 4x4 is my daily driver. Don't want additional weight there day to day. Not questioning your choice, just trying to follow the logic.

The truck is not a daily driver. I only drive it for trips.

85_Ranger4x4

A bumper is a bumper, I don't feel bad about having that on my daily drive.

I am building my own setup though and part of that is an easily removable tire carrier. Right now my plan is just unlatch it and remove one bolt and the carrier is off of the bumper. Loosing the carrier and tire will take a lot of weight off the back of the truck when I don't need to conserve room so much inside the bed of the truck (aka I can just throw the spare in the back of the truck)

Cyrull

Was wondering if you had any updates on this setup. How are you liking it so far? I was initially considering the hitch gate max but I like the design of this better.

Do you know you can swap the placements of the swing arms? I would prefer the tire on my driver side.

Thanks.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Was wondering if you had any updates on this setup. How are you liking it so far? I was initially considering the hitch gate max but I like the design of this better.

Do you know you can swap the placements of the swing arms? I would prefer the tire on my driver side.

Thanks.

I don't know about swapping the arms. You can remove the tray and put a spare there there. That would leave the cradle on the P/S.

The design is good and very versatile.I have a couple of thousand of miles of driving with it and no issues. The swing outs needed to have grease added. I think Wescott is going to add grease nipples on new designs. Call Jeff Wescott and see what he can do about swapping out the spare tire and tray.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles