NEW RIG: 2012 F-150 FX4

155mm

Adventurer
A big factor is how fast you are driving. If I was to go 55mph, I'm sure I'd get 16 or 17 mpg... but if I'm going 80 then it drops down to about 13.

p nut

butter
A big factor is how fast you are driving. If I was to go 55mph, I'm sure I'd get 16 or 17 mpg... but if I'm going 80 then it drops down to about 13.

I'm sure gearing plays a factor as well. I've got the 3.55 (and 2.7EB), and I'm getting ~24MPG going 70. 75-80MPH drops it down to 21-22 or so.

stingray1300

Explorer
13 isn't unrealistic if you're doing mostly in town driving and/or are heavy footed. Depends on gearing (mentioned), tires (ply, size, aggressiveness, etc.) and other factors.
I use both tripometers. "A" for mileage checking, and "B" hasn't been reset since new. Lifetime for me is 15.9mpg. That includes about 50% in town driving (over the lifetime @ 38k) and the other 50% is made up of freeway and off-roading/4wd.
I say this because you *should* be getting better. Something's not right. What gears are you running? (3.31s suck in town). Also, every vehicle sold in the US must, by federal mandate, be tuned to run on 87 octane. Running higher octane will generally cause the Nox sensors to allow the computer to advance the timing, and thus produce a bit better performance and mpgs. This all gets scrapped at elevations higher than about 4-5000ft. I usually run 87 (am tuned), but about 2-3 times a year I put Chevron 91 in. The Techron cleans things out. No reason not to these days with the price of gas so low...
When was the last time the plugs were changed? The EBs are real sensitive to the condition of the spark plugs. Get ONLY the Motorcraft SP534 plugs and gap them to 0.030" (0.028" if tuned). You should be seeing 15-17 around town. I see 13-14, but I'm in stop-n-go a LOT, and have aggressive, oversized Load Range E tires, a camper shell and a 65hp tune (430 total). I mostly drive nice, but a guy's gotta play with a Maserati or two now and then... :elkgrin:

mizedog

Observer
Nice truck! Great truck!

The picture of your truck (nice) - you do not have the "Max Tow" package. You have the HD tow package. The Max Tow package trucks have the 7-lug 18" wheels.

Hello all. Great trucks! I'm still recovering from selling my '01 Cherokee, but my "new" 2012 F-150 Platinum with the Max Tow package sure is making for a comfortable commute! Checking Ford's resources, it looks like the Max Tow and HD Payload packages are different, but not mutually exclusive. The Max Tow brings in the mirrors, tranny cooler, HD radiator, 9.75 axle, 3.73s, and for me the locking diff. My SuperCrew short bed can tow 11,200, and GVWR of 7650 which gets me a better payload of about 1,950. But, the HD Payload package only deals with... payload and brings that up. Towing with the HD Payload is no more than the Max Tow.

I've subscribed to this thread, and hope you don't get rid of your beautiful truck. I'm looking forward to seeing your future mods. Re: mpg. I can tell you that a 10 ply 34" tire is heavy, and with only 3.73s, will rob power, and gas mileage. My old CJ-7 had 15.50 wide 35 inch Swampers that weighed close to 100 pounds each. I got about 8 mpg. My Platty is averaging about 15.5, but has hit 20 going from Colorado Springs to Denver. It's super quite and rides very smooth. I'm still suffering shock from leaving the Jeep club, since I know the Ford will NEVER match the Cherokee's, much less the CJ's abilities. But, I'm shifting my expectations away from technical driving, and into more adventure/fishing, etc. Oh, my window sticker indicated the Max Tow is there, and I have 6 lugs.
94a64b5b53239079a86d35369c2bd124.jpg

Last edited:

155mm

Adventurer
Another thought is if you recalibrated the truck when you added the bigger tires? If not then your speedometer is reading a slower speed than you are actually traveling. This means you would get worse mileage than you would expect at the speed you think you are going due to wind resistance, as well as consuming more fuel per mile than the trip computer thinks you have traveled.

D45

Explorer
My old diesel truck was heavier, had much larger and heavier tires, taller lift, 4.10s and got 16.5-17 all day long

mizedog

Observer
MEDVED? You're from castle Rock area?

I'm here in Colorado visiting right now
Yep, bought it in Castle Rock. I struggled with the 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton question and was tempted to check out a 2015 Ram 2500 6.2 that was priced at $35k but knew mpg would stink and wasn't convinced of a power advantage here at almost 7000 ft. For daily commuting from the planes to Briargate, the F150 is a dream.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

p nut

butter
I'm still suffering sock from leaving the Jeep club, since I know the Ford will NEVER match the Cherokee's, much less the CJ's abilities...

I moved to a full-size pick up as well from a smaller Tacoma (1st Gen). I've got kids and wife who much appreciates the comforts of a full-size truck, especially on the recent 500 mile road trip we went on last weekend. The great thing about full-size rigs is if you want to increase the off-road capability, it gives you an excuse to buy a side x side, Wrangler, etc. to haul it to places. :D In the last 5 years, I can count maybe 2 trails that a full-sized truck would've had a tough time with, so for my uses, the move was a good thing.

p nut

butter
There are some pictures online. Are they 1st or 2nd gen Raptor wheels? I'm not a fan of the 1st gen, but 2nd gens look good.

197433d1362004065t-what-kind-aftermarket-wheels-going-your-sterling-grey-fx4s-20121203_151817.jpg

155mm

Adventurer
Those are the second wheel types of the first gen raptor... the second gen Raptor isn't even out yet, it's a 2017 model.

There are three wheel types for the first gen, the almost all black/grey the Raptor debuted with, then the ones above, and finally the beadlock capable ones (they come with beauty rings, but can be converted to true beadlocks with a Ford kit). They all look pretty good in my opinion.

Ironhide Fx4

Observer
13mpg is very odd with a normal driving style and mixed highway/city. As was said earlier the taller tire will throw it off too. A good local ford dealership can program the truck for the raptor tire size which will work with any similar size tire, 34.5ish. that's my plan, run a winter set up of 285/65r20 BFG KO2 on stock 20s comes to about 34.5. I still need to find a dealership to adjust the computer. Other option is to buy a SCT or other tuner and adjust it yourself. Other than that its something wrong. 13mpg happens but by making it happen with your foot. Good luck figuring it out. I love my 2012 Fx4

.unnamed (3).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior