new shoes for the jk

LUISJG

Explorer
just droped some 33x11.5 on the stock jk,,, 5 inch backspace on 16 in wheels.
I was impressed with how much did the tires lifted the jeep..

bad picture cause its dark ...

Last edited:

MtnMan

Observer
Nice set-up, I have been running 285-75-16s on Cragar Sft 8s, but have had clearance issues with the front brake shoes. The solution was to put in 1/4 inch spacers, which in turn caused a nasty steering wobble at around 45 mph, and the lug nuts loosening every 100 miles or so. Final solution was to change rims to a set of AEV cast wheels. Drives like a dream now. I love the look of the black steelies. Hopefully you will not have similar issues.

DSC014553.jpg

Brad

kcowyo

ExPo Original
LUISJG said:
just droped some 33x11.5 on the stock jk,,, 5 inch backspace on 16 in wheels....

What tire is made in a 33x11.50x16? They look like MTR's but can't tell for sure....?

LUISJG

Explorer
yes they are mtrs, they sell it like 285 75 16 ,, and meassure 32.8 x 11.5

idont see how to have brake shoe problem,, hope not,,never heard this before.

LUISJG

Explorer
MtnMan said:
Nice set-up, I have been running 285-75-16s on Cragar Sft 8s, but have had clearance issues with the front brake shoes. The solution was to put in 1/4 inch spacers, which in turn caused a nasty steering wobble at around 45 mph, and the lug nuts loosening every 100 miles or so. Final solution was to change rims to a set of AEV cast wheels. Drives like a dream now. I love the look of the black steelies. Hopefully you will not have similar issues.

Brad

I see what you mean now,,yeah the brake shoe bracket is preety much in contact with the wheel,,,
2 chioces,,,grind on the bracket just a bit or replace wheels,,with another backspace,,good thing I can return this here ,,bad thing is I like the backspace it has....

thanks for telling me

LUISJG

Explorer
update.

well went back and looked again ,,i was able to pass a piece of paper between the bracket and wheel so they are not touching but preety close
,,they realy look like the are but they dont,,

2500Adventures

Adventurer
here's a local JK 2-dr running 37s with a 4" lift i believe, i'll have to fuind out for sure...

pics118.jpg

And here is a local 4-dr with a modest 2" lift and some black steelies, looks great with that burgandy/plum color I think

pics115.jpg

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
:clapsmile Looks great, Luis! Amazing what a difference bigger shoes make in the entire apparence of the vehicle!

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Congratulations Luis you made the right desition on the tire size, I have done some research and found the 33" to be the biggest tire size you can install, before you have issues or concerns with the axles.:wavey:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior