New Shovel!

shawkins

Adventurer
I picked up a new shovel today at the Home Depot.

IMG_4074.jpg

(My new Reef flip flops got in the pic too.)

It was a whopping $9, and is fairly sturdy. Its about 2ft. long, so its a good size for packing in my 4Runner.

It is replacing this:
IMG_4072.jpg

I used this for only one day on my last trip, and I had to go REALLY easy on it to keep it from falling apart.
IMG_4073.jpg

So much for that serated edge, when I tried using it to chop small branches (less than 3/4"), or chopping up some dirt, the handle started to twist.

My dad and I have gone through quite a few of those junk Army surplus shovels, Im surprised the Army actually used those! (didnt they?) But I know why they got rid of them!

I eventually plan on picking up the Gerber NATO folding shovel. I love Gerbers stuff and their factory is 10 minutes away from my house.
5940.jpg

What are you guys using for shovels?

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
shawkins said:
I picked up a new shovel today at the Home Depot...
That should serve you well. I bought virtually the same shovel not long ago. I did make a few modifications to it.

Larger image
normal_shovel.jpg

First I used a cutting disc to serrate one side for cutting roots. Then I bobbed the point. I don't like a pointed tip, as it tends to deflect too easily on a rock. I also sharpened the edges.

The blade is formed .070 steel with an open back. The shaft is a wood core fiberglass wrap. 'Bond' was printed on the shaft. The handle is plastic , perhaps ABS?.

It feels plenty sturdy, and the size is good. Small, but good.

I think I could bury an anchor point with this. It would take a while since the blade is small (6').

Overall it is now 26' long. The only other modification that I may do would be to weld a piece to enclose the back. This helps to strengthen the blade. I will wait to see how much flex it has first.

Here it is next to my tire for scale-

Larger image
normal_shovel2.jpg

Here is the thread I started on it - Good compact to medium sized vehicle shovel

Last edited:

Willman

Home Depot as well!!!!!.......I would love to up grade to a foldup one for easy storage....I think Glock sells one that is VERY HD.....Does anybody know what brand our troops use??????

Scott Brady

Founder
I have a folding shovel from my USAF days. I know that Extreme Outback is considering bringing in a convertible shovel that will take a short handle or a long handle.

I use a standard short handle spade.

shawkins

Adventurer
Willman said:
Home Depot as well!!!!!.......I would love to up grade to a foldup one for easy storage....I think Glock sells one that is VERY HD.....Does anybody know what brand our troops use??????
I read a comparison between the Glock and the Gerber (Fiskars) shovels and they reccomended the Gerber between the 2.

shawkins

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
I have a folding shovel from my USAF days. I know that Extreme Outback is considering bringing in a convertible shovel that will take a short handle or a long handle.

I use a standard short handle spade.
I would like to see that convertable shovel, when do they plan on importing it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne