New Sportsmobile

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Cool! And welcome to ExPo! :wavey:
I liked the Sportsmobile article in the recent issue of Overland Journal.
Should be fun to watch your vehicle take shape...

:sombrero:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Sweet, can't wait to see the final product!!

Also, do you know what kind of material is being used on the walls?

Last edited:

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
I'm not sure what they're using for the walls, but the cabinets were they typical hardboard you normally see and seemed to be very stout...

The van is supposed to go to the cabinet installation in the next few days, then off to the 4X4 conversion.

ujointclothing said:
Sweet, can't wait to see the final product!!

Also, do you know what kind of material is being used on the walls?

Red Zebra

Adventurer
:lurk:
cobblecrazy said:
I'm not sure what they're using for the walls, but the cabinets were they typical hardboard you normally see and seemed to be very stout...

The van is supposed to go to the cabinet installation in the next few days, then off to the 4X4 conversion.

:lurk:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
If you don't mind, see if you can find out the type of material used for the walls, I'm curious!!! Thanks--------Chris

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Not really, I know they put allot of work into those vans, and I know how hard it is being in the aftermarket when everyone & their brother thinks they can do everything cheaper or better. I just want to know the material because I'd like something similar for my rig.

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
ujointclothing said:
Not really, I know they put allot of work into those vans, and I know how hard it is being in the aftermarket when everyone & their brother thinks they can do everything cheaper or better. I just want to know the material because I'd like something similar for my rig.

When we started looking at an RV setup several years ago, we wanted something that could travel off road to the places we like to go, but it also had to function as a 2nd vehicle (I usually ride my GS Adventure) when either the weather, or circumstances, warranted a change of vehicle. We found a nice pop-up style cabover and a Tundra (we started off with a Tacoma) which allowed us to tow the GS & have our mountain bikes available. This whole set-up was about $45K. As time went on I found the stock off-road capability was limited (as I knew from the beginning) due to a number of factors. Now, I'm not highly technical, but I know the people to go to, and I try to do research on what's out there, and the upgrades I needed to do would be costly. And don't even get me started on the gas mileage.

I grew up with the VW camper vans, and we used to travel the Alcan, all around Alaska, and in the upper portion of B.C. and the Yukon. I had a few VW vans in my adult life, and I always liked the set-up, but it couldn't get me to some of the other places I wanted to go. I had seen the Sportsmobile before, but I only recently looked into it as a serious venture.

I'll agree there is some sticker shock when you start out, but I went to the factory, and Alan Feld showed me the whole process. I was impressed not only with the quality of work, but the attention they give each of the vehicles in the build process. Needless to say I was hooked, but I also started doing research and found a lot of information from current owners and tech people. Even the bad stuff was reported to not be a very big issue, and I didn't find anyone who was sorry for the purchase.

Now, when I began looking at a 4X4 RV (some Class B, and Class C), the prices were the same, or considerably higher, and a 4X4 with a camper was also in the same ballpark, but with the drawback of not really being a vehicle you'd want to drive around town. I'd agree the Sportsmobile is big, but nowhere near a lifted 4X4 dually with a cabover camper. Comfort is a relative thing. I still tent camp (motorcycle,bicycle, or backpack), but I'll tell you when you get into the two week range a little bit of comfort goes a long way (not to mention not having to pay the $200 a night for a motel).

Well, hopefully I'll have a few more pics soon.

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
ujointclothing said:
If you don't mind, see if you can find out the type of material used for the walls, I'm curious!!! Thanks--------Chris

According to Sportsmobile the material is a medium density fiber board with a "Wilson art laminate" (which I believe is the countertop). Hope this helps...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles