New tires for my 404

762X39

Explorer
I have decided to replace the old tires on my 404. Currently I am running bias ply 9.5 by 38 on 20 inch rims. I have had good luck with them but it is time to go radial. I like the narrow width and I will only be taking trips of 5,000 kilometres or less.
I normally carry about 500 lbs of kit in the bed so I am usually under 8000lbs gross weight.
Typically I will be travelling 75% road and 25% dirt two track of one description or another.
For all you mog guys out there, what are you running and what do you recommend. For those of you that are running 41's, how does the engine like it and how was your fuel consumption affected?

Last edited:

Robthebrit

Explorer
I run Conti MPT81's in 12.5 (41-42 inches) on my 421, 14.5 (45-46 inches) on my 416 and the camper has Mitch 12.5XZLs (soon to be replaced with MPT81's) all are using 11X20 standard diesel mog rims. All of the mentioned 12.5s will not reliably mount to a 9x20 mog rim (standard 404) so if you increase the size you would need new rims.

A standard 404 will not pull well with anything other than standard 10.5's, the extra 10% diameter when moving upto 12.5's really messes with it, the torque is in the wrong place with respect to the gears and they are more unplesant than normal, you'll be slowing on even the smallest hills. I have a few friends who run 12.5s on 404s but they have either replaced the engine with an M130 or diesel or trailer them to the trail head.

If you are looking at staying with typical mog tires I would look at the conti mpt80 or mpt81 in 10.5r20, both are radial and both mount to a 9x20 rim. The 81 is not great in mud, the 80 is much better but not as good in snow. Both are good on the road but the 81's are much quieter. You may also want to look at mitch XL or XZLs but I am not too keen on them espeically if you are not very heavy due to the fairly rigid sidewalls.

Given you are not that heavy you can look at more typical domestic off road tires. Super swamper and BFG both have tires that fit a 404 and can handle your weight, most of them have a size around 38 inches - similar to a standard 404 tire.

Rob

alaskantinbender

Adventurer
Robthebrit said:
I run Conti MPT81's in 12.5 (41-42 inches) on my 421, 14.5 (45-46 inches) on my 416 and the camper has Mitch 12.5XZLs (soon to be replaced with MPT81's) all are using 11X20 standard diesel mog rims. All of the mentioned 12.5s will not reliably mount to a 9x20 mog rim (standard 404) so if you increase the size you would need new rims.

A standard 404 will not pull well with anything other than standard 10.5's, the extra 10% diameter when moving upto 12.5's really messes with it, the torque is in the wrong place with respect to the gears and they are more unplesant than normal, you'll be slowing on even the smallest hills. I have a few friends who run 12.5s on 404s but they have either replaced the engine with an M130 or diesel or trailer them to the trail head.

Rob

Ditto what Rob said.
My experience is the same. I run standard 404 tires when I need to hit the road and play in traffic.
The stock engine just doesent have the "umph" on hills. But for contrast, once while running the 12.5's I traveled with a friend in a old 1959 powerwagon and my Mog felt like a race car even on the hills as his top road speed was only 45 mph.
Off road playing and exploring the MPT 80's are great. I have some 11X20 rims with the 12.5 R 20 MPT 80's for that.
I have plans to swap to a high compression head, gaining a few more gerbils for hill climbing with the bigger tires.:smiley_drive:

Regards,

Jim

762X39

Explorer
Thanks for the replies.
I guess I will stick with 9.5 or 10.5 by 38 tires.Switching to radials will gain me a bit of power because of reduced rolling resistance.
I was wondering if that reduced rolling resistance would let me go up in diameter but I guess not (I will have to settle for only 18 inches of ground clearance under the diffs).I have looked at normal offroad tires like Super Swampers (and have used them on my previous ride) but I prefer the Continentals and Michelins in a military pattern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles