New To Me 93

cruiser812

Observer
I was scrolling through Craigslist the just 2 days ago and came across a 93 Ford E250 sportsmobile for what i thought was a low price. It runs and drive great with brand new tires and wheels but the normal ford van issue with the back door handles and power windows and of course the AC doesn't work I have seen many online that go for sky high prices with over 200k on the odometer. Granted the mileage on this one is 250k but the drivetrain was replaced with lower mileage engine at 110k. He was only asking the low price of $3,600 so i scooped it up. I have never seen one priced this low especially in the south, but did i get taken....I didnt really care as i was thrilled about it and being able to stand up in it with the pop top up. Being 6'4" it is difficult to find almost anything that i can minus the high top sprinters and I dont want the parts costs on those. I am curious on everyones thoughts if i got a good deal or not really.

I am going to start with getting all of the little parts in order and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on where to start. I have to buy new passenger chair as the previous owner removed it and not the biggest fan of the blue shag carpet. Has anyone updated there older sportsmobile that can give me a few tips. I would love to transplant the interior panels and dash out of a newer model to update it but im not sure that would be worth it or if they are essentially direct swaps.

Attachments

cruiser812

Observer
The van has the 351 windsor in it. Runs great. I started working on fixing a few things on the van including the driver side power window. It had popped off the lift mechanism so i reattached but of course the motor is worn out and not able to lift the window but a few inches. Have a replacement on order.

cruiser812

Observer
A few more photos of the rig fresh from 93. I have actually though of dropping this van onto a rusted out quigley to have a 4x4 sportsmobile.508245508246

eblau

Adventurer
Great looking van and a screaming deal. Don't bother with those door cable clips just get the upgraded cables from ebay for the sides and the rears and do it once and be done with it. The upgraded ones have steel ends that are threaded to attach to the latches rather than the crummy plastic cable ends from the factory that break.

I just found this out but apparently its a pretty common occurrence with the old Ford PCMs but if you are planning some long distance travel and want some peace of mind pull your PCM (engine computer) and replace the three capacitors on the circuit board before it leaves you stranded or pulling your hair out trying to track down a misfire or random no start condition.

cruiser812

Observer
Well i have finished the driver side window repair so i can now roll it up and down. A must with the Ac broke. I actually just tried to drive it to the DMV today to get it titled and seem to have a power issue. I tried cranking the vehicle up and and turned over just fine, however, I stopped cranking before it fired and when i turned the key again it was completely dead. Not even the radio powered on. I pulled out the volt meter and the battery was reading around 10volts. I guess i have a bad cell in the battery as it was turning over strong. It did the same thing to me the other day under the exact same conditions. I am going to have to dive into the electrical as I thought there was a way to start it off the house battery.

I have actually ordered the steel ends for the cables I just have to get into the doors to fix the issues. The next thing on the list is to replace all the bushing attached to the sway bar and of course the AC. Eventually after doin all of that I will give it a good deep cleaning. I will have to sort out a refrigerator or cooler of some sort and a replacement for the stove or close the area off as it was removed.

Does anyone have any reccomendations on seats that would match or look ok with the blue interior? I have thought about just getting grey econoline seats but the are getting hard to locate at any scrap yard for a decent price in good condition.