New to monteros and picked up a 3rd gen

BstrdJ

515066I just picked up a 2002 montero limited a few months back. The vehicle didn't start when I checked it out. I was able to get it running like crap but running enough to limp it home. CEL said bad o2, bad MAF, and lights keep going off for the C/L. I wanted a 7 seater SUV so I picked up and started working on it to get it on the road. So far I changed the battery, abs accumulator, and MAF sensor. That all cleared the codes and I was able to pass smog. Most the of the answers I found on the issues were found here and I wanted to thank you guys for that. Looking forward to build this for light duty trails and and daily family mover.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Well done!

Do you know when the timing belt and surrounding parts were last replaced?
It's critical maintenance.

Happy trails!

Cheers

BstrdJ

Timing belt @140k it has 215k now and radiator and cooling replaced 2 yrs ago. Is there a newbie checklist for 3gs? What other places to find good support on the monty? I thought being a Japanese vehicle and its dakar heritage there would be a bigger aftermarket but its hard to find stuff. So far I'm having fun!

plh

Explorer
Timing belt @140k it has 215k now and radiator and cooling replaced 2 yrs ago. Is there a newbie checklist for 3gs? What other places to find good support on the monty? I thought being a Japanese vehicle and its dakar heritage there would be a bigger aftermarket but its hard to find stuff. So far I'm having fun!

currently 15K past due...

SampaGuy

Welcome! I am on a similar boat, just picked up my 2004 with 136k miles about a month ago and going through all the maintenance items. Prepping for the timing belt job (my first) next week.

SampaGuy

Also, check out this video (sorry I don't remember the member that made it to give credit) about removing your secondary butterfly valves:

BstrdJ

After driving this thing around for the past couple of weeks I'm thinking how much I want to dive into the rabbit hole. I love the size of it and want to keep it but should I move into a 2003 and up gen3? What are the biggest difference other the 4wd and the 3.8l motor? Any advise from owners of both?

SampaGuy

I have a 3.8L, I actually think the front bumper and fog lights from the 3.5L model looks way better. The 3.8L is supposed to have better gas mileage. I believe the differences are very minor and you might as well keep the one you have, unless it is a rough example or something.

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
After driving this thing around for the past couple of weeks I'm thinking how much I want to dive into the rabbit hole. I love the size of it and want to keep it but should I move into a 2003 and up gen3? What are the biggest difference other the 4wd and the 3.8l motor? Any advise from owners of both?
Biggest difference is that the 3.8L engine has more torque, and the 03+ has an amazingly capable electronic traction control. Other than that, I really like my '02. I drive it everyday, work out of it from time to time, tow my camping trailer with it, and occasionally fill it up with folks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior