New Trailer Build Thread

honda250xtitan

Nice work man! what'd you end up with on those wheels like a -12mm offset? I was dead set on running stock toyota wheels so i just ordered 2" wheel spacers from BORA lol.

Super jealous of the timbren setup too.

Jerkeejoe

Nice work man! what'd you end up with on those wheels like a -12mm offset? I was dead set on running stock toyota wheels so i just ordered 2" wheel spacers from BORA lol.

Super jealous of the timbren setup too.

Thanks! Ended up with 0 offset and about 1/2” of clearance. Haha.

When I ordered spacers I thought I was going to have plenty of room after looking at the Timbren tech drawings, so I just got 1.25” adapters, but I apparently miscalculated.

My Miller 211 arrived yesterday and it is **************! I was happy with my Hobart, but this thing is night and day better. Wife and kids will be out of town most of next week, so I’m hoping to get it done then.

Jerkeejoe

Started on the fenders today and made my first rookie mistake. ? Cut the fender frame material too short by two inches. I couldn't sleep last night so I grabbed my iPad and did the calculations for my fender cuts. Turns out 3:00 am math is not my strong suit. So I ended up having to weld on small blocks to support the fender frames because I'm too lazy (and out of 1x1 SQ. tube) to cut new pieces. Not a big deal.

Fender materials cut and ready to weld.

A5C5FABB-5944-4484-9093-782C9E0F78A4.jpeg

First piece of the fender frame set in place ready for tacking.

4680BED0-4251-4420-8DCD-E654FA4A98D7.jpeg

Here are the blocks I welded on for the fender to mount. Just 2" pieces of 1x2 rectangle tube.

28EF2B9D-F9C8-4AF1-B4FD-2C31DEF556A4.jpeg

And here's what the fender will look like when finished and welded on.

B97FE397-B1CA-4266-A93D-1ACEBC5F3B72.jpeg

Last but not least, my new Miller 211. This thing is excellent.

30EC23F9-9F8D-4D61-9933-C1B4D162DF36.jpeg

Jerkeejoe

Ugh, on second thought, I think I'll go pick up some more 1x square tube tomorrow and fix the fenders instead of Mickey Mousing it. I want to make sure I have adequate clearance.

Jerkeejoe

Sooo, lazy won out. Got the fender frames welded on today. I didn’t weld the fender to the upright yet because I wanted to leave room for the skin to go between the fender and the upright. After I skin it I’ll weld the fender to the upright.

07FCA27A-050D-4417-B911-329D9190FD8F.jpeg7BD64D65-08C8-42E7-80FC-F4586E785C0E.jpeg

mudraider

Adventurer
What do you have going on here with these pieces of square tubing here?
49c11cd46ed1c59d01328a1786148187.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mudraider

Adventurer
Re-reading the thread, is this the square tubing you were talking about?
b361a45e02685ef4f4f792ca7168b093.jpg

Jerkeejoe

What do you have going on here with these pieces of square tubing here?
49c11cd46ed1c59d01328a1786148187.jpg

Those are the pieces or rectangle tube I had to add because I cut the fender frame horizontals too short. The fender frames are welded to those.

See third pic in my post number 33

Jerkeejoe

Well, Dad had emergency surgery in LA last week (all turned out well) then my wife dragged me on a last minute vacation before the kids start back to school. So, no progress over the last week.

I did do a fair amount of work tonight though. Got the vertical wall supports welded on, the cross pieces for the steps welded on, and the front rack welded on.

I have a fair bit of grinding to do to ensure I have perfectly flat sides, then I’ll be ready to pressure wash the whole thing, prime the frame, and weld on the skin. The last of the electrical parts I needed came in the mail while we were out of town, so I’m also ready to wire.

akyota

Not to hi-jack your thread in anyway, but I'm hoping to acquire this trailer to start to rebuild (if it's still available when I get back into town next week). I was wanting to use the same suspension that you're using (may not need the 3500lbs system though) and I was looking at the distance from the top of your tires to your fender flares. What's the upward travel that you're expecting with that suspension? Their videos show several inches at least of travel. Maybe it looks close because of the angle of the picture, but do you have enough room? By looking at the rest of your detail, I'm sure you didn't overlook that part of your build. What's your take on this?

trailer.jpg

Jerkeejoe

Not to hi-jack your thread in anyway, but I'm hoping to acquire this trailer to start to rebuild (if it's still available when I get back into town next week). I was wanting to use the same suspension that you're using (may not need the 3500lbs system though) and I was looking at the distance from the top of your tires to your fender flares. What's the upward travel that you're expecting with that suspension? Their videos show several inches at least of travel. Maybe it looks close because of the angle of the picture, but do you have enough room? By looking at the rest of your detail, I'm sure you didn't overlook that part of your build. What's your take on this?

View attachment 465064

The Timbren suspensions have 2 1/2” of travel. I left 3” of clearance. So I should be good to go, particularly given that the 3500lb suspension should never bottom out with the loads I’ll have on it.

That said, if I end up wanting more clearance I can cut the fender frame off and add a spacer. I wanted to try and get the minimum amount of space necessary, though, so I’m hopeful it’ll be good how it is.

furbucket

Observer
Great work so far!

Since the Timbren topic came up- I have (distant) plans for a trailer build of my own, should end up a bit over 2,000lbs. The 1Ton HD version looked great with longer arms/more travel, but Timbren tech support said to go with the 3500lb version, as the 1Ton may bottom out regularly on rough roads. He also said to have at least a half inch of clearance for the tires, so you are probably all good!

via Tapatalk on an evil pocket calculator with a flashy screen

Jerkeejoe

Great work so far!

Since the Timbren topic came up- I have (distant) plans for a trailer build of my own, should end up a bit over 2,000lbs. The 1Ton HD version looked great with longer arms/more travel, but Timbren tech support said to go with the 3500lb version, as the 1Ton may bottom out regularly on rough roads. He also said to have at least a half inch of clearance for the tires, so you are probably all good!

via Tapatalk on an evil pocket calculator with a flashy screen

I had a very similar conversation with Timbren about going 2000 or 3500 and was told to go with the 3500. They say the design of the suspension ensures that even with an empty trailer the 3500 will ride well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior