New Trailer Build Thread

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
Broke out the pressure washer today to degrease the frame and then put a couple coats of automotive undercoat on it. Wheels and tires should be here today so I'm hoping to have a rolling frame by the end of the day.

View attachment 459696

Got this Generac pressure washer not too long ago and really like it. For a little over $300 it's been a great buy.

View attachment 459697

Great start. I wanna keep an eye on this one. Was a timbern axle with brakes really $860? I thought people were saying that they are comparable to a 3500lb straight axle with brakes. But a straight axle with brakes should be well under $300 I’d estimate. At least that’s what my last one cost me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jerkeejoe

Great start. I wanna keep an eye on this one. Was a timbern axle with brakes really $860? I thought people were saying that they are comparable to a 3500lb straight axle with brakes. But a straight axle with brakes should be well under $300 I’d estimate. At least that’s what my last one cost me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Timbren was like $650 plus brakes and hubs for a total of $860.

I've read a lot of really good things so I'm hoping it's worth it. In the end it cost me an extra $300 or so over a straight axle, so it's really a marginal extra cost over the entire trailer.

Discount tire got my tires today, but no wheels until tomorrow. I'm going to start welding up the box tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get it skinned and wired next week. I still need to figure out what kind of paint/for ish I want to put on the whole thing. Suggestions?

Jerkeejoe

In the spirit of things never going quite right, the new wheels and tires still didn't fit. A bit of a bummer after working with Discount Tire to make sure we got the right combo, but ultimately not a big deal as they're taking the wheels back and we're going to something with even less offset.

It was pretty cool to actually see the way the trailer will set up with the wheels and tires. It's definitely not going to be a low rider! Looks like I'm going to need a truck side hitch about +4" to sit level.

Here's a couple pics to show the 1/2" of rub on the side of the tread and the Timbren mounting hardware. Not a huge deal as I'll just go ahead and weld up the fenders and front rack and start on the body while waiting for the third set of wheels. Third time's a charm right? :)o_O:ROFLMAO: I'm not upset as this really is a learning experience as my first fabrication project other than very simple shelves and target stands.

201C7C5B-F9F7-4AA5-84FE-11CBBB229EDE.jpeg

3383200E-76A9-4F00-9977-58C608A9C94A.jpeg

Jerkeejoe

Got started on the fenders. I mostly was just sick of not having a welding table to work on since the trailer frame was sitting on mine. So I started on the rear step and front side step and welded on the jack mounts.

I decided to wait to complete the fenders until I get the box frame welded on as the top of the fenders will attach to the uprights. A buddy of mine is going to pick up some sheet steel on Monday so I can get the deck welded in. We’ll do the rest of the skin at his fab shop so we can use the sheet break and multiple welders to speed up the process.

A2C07A18-60A9-4E2C-8A4E-A738C4C9ED05.jpeg

33AA0A7D-CD33-4080-B99F-3AFEF350E0B8.jpeg

Jerkeejoe

Wondering why you have the jack mounts on the outside of the fender?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mainly because I needed a place to put them for now. When I get the rear bumper welded on (which will just be a piece of 2 x 4 tube) I will likely mount the jacks to the bumper. For now though, I think they’re gonna be just fine mounted to the side of the step.

And I should mention that I’m open to suggestions on all aspects of this trailer. It’s the first time I’ve built one, so speak up if you have better ideas! :cool:

Last edited:

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
Mainly because I needed a place to put them for now. When I get the rear bumper welded on (which will just be a piece of 2 x 4 tube) I will likely mount the jacks to the bumper. For now though, I think they’re gonna be just fine mounted to the side of the step.

And I should mention that I’m open to suggestions on all aspects of this trailer. It’s the first time I’ve built one, so speak up if you have better ideas! :cool:

I’m pretty sure on your setup I’d have mounted my jacks right where yours are also. Perfect spot on my opinion.

Jerkeejoe

Kept tripping a breaker welding on the highest setting with my little Hobart. Got sick of making trips to the electrical panel, so I bought a Miller 211 and have a buddy coming over to help me wire up a 220 outlet in the garage. It seemed like a good excuse to get a new welder. ;)

Hoping to get the box frame, fenders, and deck done this weekend.

Last edited:

Jerkeejoe

All it needs it the rest of the uprights and the fenders and it will be ready for skin.

Pulls and backs really nice. I like the long tongue. I’m still going to add a small shelf in front of the box to hold fuel and stuff. The trailer follows nearly exactly in the trucks tracks.

Hopefully skinned and wired next week.

I tried to add several pics but this in the only one that isn’t too large for the server to upload.

62614C00-DD21-43E1-BD8A-8003C2EAE624.jpeg

mudraider

Adventurer
Looks great! Talking about longer tongue, what measurement did you end up with? I've seen lengths from 83" to 105"?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jerkeejoe

The tongue is 64” from coupler to frame right now. However, I’m going to add a rack in front of the box that will take the tongue length to around 50” which will still keep it long enough to back up at a 90* angle to the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online