New version of Gaia GPS released

Not quite. When I buy something - anything - I expect it to be serviced during the warranty period, no more, no less. If a piece of software comes with a year of support and updates, that's great, and I wouldn't expect anything more. That's reasonable, and no different from the warranty on your car or toaster oven. What's more, and this is really the important bit, is that I can choose to disconnect said app from the world, not install updates, not have it talk to any home server, and simply... work.

Ensuring that the development company has finances does not benefit the consumer in any way. The company will either use that money to develop entirely new products (which will benefit the company way more than the consumer), or that money will end up in the top-management's pockets. That money will never be used to solely benefit the people shelling it out. Never. And if the company cannot stand behind their warranty (or whatever they promise) for the length of time they've committed to, well then that's no different from any other manufacturer not standing behind their claims, and is not the consumer's fault, but rather mismanagement at the company.

Subscription-based products always come with the internet tie-in. They require internet to phone home and regularly check the subscription status (which requires me to have said internet access, or at least regularly provide it), the manufacturer frequently gives themselves functionality to force updates (perhaps not the app itself - depending on Apple Store's policies - but definitely the data), to change or remove features at will. I don't want that. I don't want anyone to have control over the product I'm paying for except myself.

I paid around $60 or $70 for Navigon some 5-6 years ago, and guess what? It still works as it did, it's still an excellent piece of software, and is still one of the first apps I install on any new iOS device. In fact, for road-maps, it still can't be beat. And it's still getting updates (which I can choose to stop installing at any time). It was a large up-front cost, but clearly that business model is still working for that company, and they've got at least one very happy user. I don't believe that Gaia cannot profit from the same business model - they simply know that they'll profit more from a subscription. Just like every company that has ever tried to force people into contracts. It boils down to greed that's sold as a "this is for best you" lie. Same exact story as with Internet Service Providers, TV Providers, Cellphone Providers, Gyms, and all other companies that take advantage of their monopoly-like standing to force consumers into contracts they neither want, nor need.

Subscription-based models only benefit a sole party: the company selling the subscription.

I'm happy to subscribe to an online service (Netflix, Spotify, FreshBooks, GitHub, AWS, etc.), but as far as subscription-based, device-ran software goes, I view it same way I view heroin: not even once.
Brother-- read your rant--- How's the weather back there in the 90's? Your views are just that . . .your views. The subscription based model is the way that everything is going. We see it in software licensing, audio, video, books etc. Software development is no different. The residual influx of renewals and subscriptions allows the application to be a profit center-- profit centers stay alive and don't stagnate and fall by the wayside. No worries though, some people don't get it. It's your adventure . . .live it.

Old fart question here; I have an iPad mini with ~ 30 gigs total memory and 15-20 gigs typically available. After downloading enough maps to be useful how well can I expect Gaia/Pro work on my device?

Old fart question here; I have an iPad mini with ~ 30 gigs total memory and 15-20 gigs typically available. After downloading enough maps to be useful how well can I expect Gaia/Pro work on my device?
Can you provide a bit more info?

How large of areas are you trying to download? How often will you be in those areas at close to the same time? Meaning One shouldn't try to download the entire US if they are really only going to be in a given area at the moment.

I download as needed and once a year clear out all of my old maps and then download new ones as required.

Keeping waypoints and tracks is a different story. You can keep those as long as you like and can choose whether you just want to store them at gaiagps.com or sync with your device(s).

Although I do not use Gaia (yet, as I am still finishing off a sailing trip, overlanding in on the horizon) I am a developer and run a site for sailors. I ran it for 4 years for "free", which just meant I paid the bills. I put in a subscription model to help pay the monthly costs, occasionally I run into the same feedback as this thread shows about Gaia. I have been a professional developer for almost 30 years and have seen the market evolve in how to support paying for software. Lets face facts, developers are people who go to work, just like any other profession, and should to be paid for it. I don't know of any profession out there willing to work for free and somehow I doubt the people at Gaia are getting rich off this app. When I look at the "Company" page on their website I see 9 people (and a dog) working on this software, as the Aussie's say "Good on them" for taking the leap and building software that seems to fill the needs for some people.

That really is a question that can't be easily answered. With GAIA you can download maps at different levels (IE 1:24k 1:100k for comparison) There are about 20 different levels of detail available for most maps and each level uses up exponentially more space. Then you have the ability to download more than one map style and either superimpose them on each other or just use the different maps one at a time.
For instance one topo map I have of central Colorado covering roughly 14x20 miles and downloaded at level 17 is about 800MB. Best I can tell, level 16 is close to a 7.5' map.
The western half of colorado downloading GAIA TOPO map base is 19.5G. That is just one map.

Darrell

That really is a question that can't be easily answered. With GAIA you can download maps at different levels (IE 1:24k 1:100k for comparison) There are about 20 different levels of detail available for most maps and each level uses up exponentially more space. Then you have the ability to download more than one map style and either superimpose them on each other or just use the different maps one at a time.
For instance one topo map I have of central Colorado covering roughly 14x20 miles and downloaded at level 17 is about 800MB. Best I can tell, level 16 is close to a 7.5' map.
The western half of colorado downloading GAIA TOPO map base is 19.5G. That is just one map.

Darrell
On a similar note with regards to memory.

There is also a way to download Google satellite imagery. I set Gaia up on my tablet to be able to do that. However, when I tried to download imagery at a high resolution, I was astounded at how much memory it would take. Basically, it's not usable. The smallest area uses so much memory it's useless.

It would be cool to have that high res imagery in the back country, but I discovered it's just not possible. There is also a limit to how much Gaia will let you download at one time. That limit makes downloading the imagery even more difficult since you can only download a very small area at once.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I hope the Android version is out soon!
I have the latest Android paid version of GAIA and it is the best off road mapping app I have tried out of 4 or 5.
That being said......
I don't think GAIA is very serious about the Android version. I have been keeping in touch, off and on for the better part of a year with the techs there, about bugs with the Android version and was told that certain bugs I was emailing them about would be fixed with the new version. Well the new version came out (this was from about 4 months ago or so) and not only were the old bugs still there but new bugs were implemented making the app a real PITA to work with. I have to actually force stop the app to restart it, just closing and reopening the app doesn't work, I asked if tere was a way to revert back to the old version before the update to get rid of the new bugs and just deal witht he original ones but apparently there is no way to do that.
GAIA is the best I have found so far but the Android version is seriously lacking in competent support.

Darrell

I have the latest Android paid version of GAIA and it is the best off road mapping app I have tried out of 4 or 5.
That being said......
I don't think GAIA is very serious about the Android version. I have been keeping in touch, off and on for the better part of a year with the techs there, about bugs with the Android version and was told that certain bugs I was emailing them about would be fixed with the new version. Well the new version came out (this was from about 4 months ago or so) and not only were the old bugs still there but new bugs were implemented making the app a real PITA to work with. I have to actually force stop the app to restart it, just closing and reopening the app doesn't work, I asked if tere was a way to revert back to the old version before the update to get rid of the new bugs and just deal witht he original ones but apparently there is no way to do that.
GAIA is the best I have found so far but the Android version is seriously lacking in competent support.

Darrell
That's a shame about Android support, guess I will continue looking for other options.

That being said......

Darrell

A new version will be released soon. Keep checking blog.gaiagps.com for details. Once it has been released I will try to remember to post the link here as well.