Newbie from UK says Hi!

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I'm not sure what you mean by "split charging". Is your LR a 6 volt system?
If so my first thot is "Change that!", but if that's not an option there are devices called "series-parallel switches" which would allow you to charge on 6 & run the lights on 12. I know that they exist, but I can't claim any experience in their use.

More than likely the light's earth is a bit small for charging duty. Approach this like it is a fibreglas boat, when considering the charge wire length include the earth (ground) wire length in the calculation.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Electron said:
I have lengthened the trailer tongue by around 14 inches, the axle is now approx at the 60% point of the total length.

I have also put the wiring in for the lights. I need to start thinking about the batteries etc. I have been given four 6 volt UPS deep cycle batteries which are rated 160 AH. Wired up to give 12 volt a pair I will mount two and keep two for spare.

I have posted on another forum about split charging from my Landrover, but had no replies yet. I'm not a 12 volt genius but am I right in saying I can run a lead via a split charge relay, from the starter battery to the trailer battery, and use the earth from the trailer light wiring? Will this not interfere with the lights?

I haven't managed to get the plywood for the body of the trailer yet but when I do I will post some more pics.

You really want the + and - wires to be the same gage. Most US vehicles have a 10 gage wire running back to the trailer socket to provide power, so in this case a 10 gage negative wire should be run.

6 gage wire provides for much quicker charging, but requires an extensive vehicle to trailer set up. We run 6 gage between the batteries in dual battery set ups to allow for equal charging between the batteries. If you run 10 gage in a situation like this the first battery gets fully charged while the second always seems to lag.

Make sure the trailer is ground through the trailer plug to the vehicle, rather than relying on the ball to ground the trailer.

Electron

Confusion

Mmm. I can't have explained myself properly.

The Landy is 12 volt. The trailer will have two 6 volt batteries wired together to give 12 volt. together they are treated as one "battery"

The 7 pin trailer sockets we have over here have a decent gauge earth wire, but no spare wire for charging. This is usually done with a second "caravan" socket but I dont want to add one to the Landy for the sake of one wire, so I will be using the best 2 pole socket I can find (the second pole could be used as a permanent live for say a fridge, there is such a wire available)

But were do I take this feed wire from - the positive of the starter battery via the split charge relay?

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Electron said:
Mmm. I can't have explained myself properly.

The Landy is 12 volt. The trailer will have two 6 volt batteries wired together to give 12 volt. together they are treated as one "battery"

The 7 pin trailer sockets we have over here have a decent gauge earth wire, but no spare wire for charging. This is usually done with a second "caravan" socket but I dont want to add one to the Landy for the sake of one wire, so I will be using the best 2 pole socket I can find (the second pole could be used as a permanent live for say a fridge, there is such a wire available)

But were do I take this feed wire from - the positive of the starter battery via the split charge relay?

Yes a wire from the positive side of the battery would work. It needs to be the same gage as the earth wire in the trailer socket. The positive needs to be fused or have a breaker in it for safety.

I'm not sure what you mean by "permanent live for say a fridge". I'd assumed you were charging the batteries in the trailer from the vehicle, and then running all of your 12 volt accessories in the trailer off the trailer batteries. If that's the case the only 12 volt permanent live you would need would be to the battery bank in the trailer.

Better make the trailer flood proof while your at it! :sombrero:

Electron

Wiring

I don't know why Landrover have put a permanent live in the loom for the trailer socket its just there. I think I will just ignore it, as you are right if the trailer batteries are being charged then anything running like a fridge would just take its juice from the batteries.

The trailer is going to be sealed but I am moving to France so the floods should be a thing of the past! It was fun driving through it all in the Landy though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94