Next Question: Diesel vs. Gas F350

D

Deleted member 9101

There is a HUGE difference between pulling a lid and handling a load well. A GM 6.0 3/4 tin pulls a load like complete crap, BUT it handles it pretty well. The motor happens to be anemic, but the chassis and drivetrain can maneuver and stop the trailer with ease.

We got a new 3/4 ton GMC at end of last year. When it's not in the shop it's out trying to maintain the speed limit pulling a trailer. Definitely not built to live life in the left lane while loaded.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
Yeah they’re pretty anemic for sure. I’ve got well over 1/4 million miles on 2012-2014 models. Put 200k on my first 12’, 120k in my second 12’, and close to 100k on my 14’ before getting my 15’ Dmax. They’re bulletproof, but they don’t move out of their own way for anything.

As far as problems I had the occasional GM electrical gremlin, but they were just annoying inconveniences. Never anything that slowed me down. I’ve had 3 15’ model Silverado 1500s since, and a few Cummins. I drive a lot to say the least. My current 350 is probably the only truck that I’ll ever have for more than 18 months, and that’s cause my half ton sees the majority of my miles. The 350 lives in the garage 95% of the time, and still has 30k miles of trailer on it in 16 months.

D

Deleted member 9101

My current 350 is probably the only truck that I’ll ever have for more than 18 months, and that’s cause my half ton sees the majority of my miles. The 350 lives in the garage 95% of the time, and still has 30k miles of trailer on it in 16 months.

I'm hoping for 20 years out of my F150 and then I'll get something along the lines of an F450 so I can pull a larger travel trailer when I retire.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I want to put a travel trailer ON an F450/550.

I wonder if I can hack the hitch and axles off of a TT and just bolt it to a flatbed F550. Box up the wheel well holes for recovery gear storage. Sell it for a half million dollars like Earthroamer. Haha.

Like this, but on the trucks chassis or flatbed:
454651d1247753402-lets-see-your-trailers-campers-homemade-tr04.jpg

ttengineer

Adventurer

I wonder if I can hack the hitch and axles off of a TT and just bolt it to a flatbed F550. Box up the wheel well holes for recovery gear storage. Sell it for a half million dollars like Earthroamer. Haha.

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work as long as the TT was the right length.

Ive seen guys do it on larger rigs, so a 550 should be able to handle a small TT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clutch

<---Pass

Couple few folks already doing that. Not a 450-550...but you get the idea. Make it toyhauler, and you're golden.

http://4x4rv.blogspot.com/2010/09/4x4-rv-adventure-vehicle.html

037.JPG

Mo4130

Adventurer
If you’re consistently pulling a 10k plus load a 3/4-1 ton will handle it better hands down.

Operating one platform at near %100 while the other is operating at %50-70. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clutch

<---Pass
Last edited:

plumber mike

Adventurer
More like $200K...

Here you go, I just saved you $187K. Hmmm...heck this might just what I am looking for myself. Poor mans toyhauler camping rig.

https://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/listing/2007-Ford-F550--5002338181

View attachment 473585
Not a poor mans toy hauler. He is the wealthy one now because he didn’t drop the other 187k. Buys a lot of fuel and fun. I’ve often thought of buying another work truck that make one of our current ones something like that
F50277B7-CC5A-4641-826C-066FFB2BB799.jpeg

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Awesome, it was in the low 20's there a couple weeks ago. Hope you have plenty of propane
With 60# of propane it was actually battery capacity to run the furnace fan each night I was concerned about, we were fine though letting the truck recharge it during the day.

Drove through Wyoming to SD today. With a 20mph headwind and 18k# combined weight there was plenty of gas station stops and running 3500-4500rpm for hours. At the end I was so tired and just wanted to get to my destination I didn't care if the engine was screaming, it sort of reminded me of driving my old straight piped gt mustang. With enough caffeine it was almost exciting.

Clutch

<---Pass
With 60# of propane it was actually battery capacity to run the furnace fan each night I was concerned about, we were fine though letting the truck recharge it during the day.

Drove through Wyoming to SD today. With a 20mph headwind and 18k# combined weight there was plenty of gas station stops and running 3500-4500rpm for hours. At the end I was so tired and just wanted to get to my destination I didn't care if the engine was screaming, it sort of reminded me of driving my old straight piped gt mustang. With enough caffeine it was almost exciting.

Oh man, have had a couple few trips like that over years...trying to make that final push just to get where you want to go.

We used to do bomb runs from PA to Florida when I live back there. Drive straight for 20 some odd hours. Stay a week, then turn around and do it again. Now-a-days. I can do about 12-14 hours and I am cooked. Trying to bring myself to drive over to the Oregon coast...but I don't want to even do the 10 hour drive for that.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Yeah, that's the way to go. Need to start a company that specializes in converting those. Advertise by driving through a motorhome at 25 mph.

If I'm lucky I'll be able to buy one of our work trucks when it's traded in. If we don't go back to the worthless GM's that are completely worn out when we turn them in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior