Night vision goggles or monocular...

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I've been thinking about getting a night vision setup of some kind for camping and incase SHTF.

But I don't know a dammed thing about it, care to enlighten me?

Thanks!

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Like many questions, first response would be more questions - what do you want to be able to do with it, and how much can you afford?

As you progress from Gen I, Gen II, Gen III versions for example, price goes up rapidly but so does the visual acuity.

Do you want something portable, simple, pocketable? Something that will strap to your head for handsfree? Something you can use with firearm optics?

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Quality of course will cost but I don't know enough to say mercy. If $400-$500 got me a very nice unit that I could use on pitcany rails, hand held too, easy on batteries, good optics for camping and foraging for food I think I'd be happy.
But I only know what the reviews on a few places have said.

screwball48

Explorer
Look at the optics that are offered by Sightmark. The digital NV weapons scope that they offer is in the price range you are looking at. We have recently began carrying them where I work. The digital offers a nice clear image that is superior to some of the first and second gen devices I have played with in the past. I have yet to take one out hunting for coyotes but just goofing off with them so far has me very impressed. I will be around them at work tomorrow if you would like any further info or even some pictures of one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
Look at the optics that are offered by Sightmark. The digital NV weapons scope that they offer is in the price range you are looking at. We have recently began carrying them where I work. The digital offers a nice clear image that is superior to some of the first and second gen devices I have played with in the past. I have yet to take one out hunting for coyotes but just goofing off with them so far has me very impressed. I will be around them at work tomorrow if you would like any further info or even some pictures of one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey, Screwball - I went to that Sightmark site. Pretty impressive stuff. Not nearly as expensive as it used to be. I am amazed actually. Do you use this equipment? I'm curious,
cause I saw a 'IR flashlight' kind of curious as to what that is? didn't show one on their site, unless I missed it. Can you help out?

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
Got the chance to use some
NV not long ago, gen 3 stuff is unbelievable compared to other everything else. If you can afford it, go for gen 3 stuff. Check out TNVC.com for quality stuff.

screwball48

Explorer
Both of these photos are iPhone 5s pics and have been cropped using the phone software. I held my phone up to the scope to take this photo. They were both taken mid afternoon. For the NV pic I had the lens cap closed and used the pinhole filter in it.
8ec69322300aec8b4eeaf70149676263.jpg

4c05cb254d3d351a3c2196d167ed449d.jpg

Edit: should have mentioned that was using a Sightmark photon xt 4.6x42 digital scope.

Last edited:

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I hope you don't mind me cutting in here, but I have some questions about NV cameras. Basically, I'm wanting to install some on my 91' Bronco, front and rear. I already have a screen setup for it so all I really need is a camera.
How is quality rated in a NV camera. I don't want to waste time and money on a low quality camera. The screen I'm using is about a 10" size if that helps.
How many infrared LEDs is good, too much or not enough? Is there a particular type of IR LED that I should look out for?

I'm hoping to learn enough to make a somewhat informed decision on the camera myself, but any suggestions are also appreciated. Just remember, it has to run on a 12 volt system.

I'll admit, this project is about 50% practical, and 50% "just want to do it." lol.

screwball48

Explorer
AFBronco look at some of the cctv cameras. A lot of them are dual use daytime night vision. Like most things in electronics the bigger the numbers the better. Almost all of the cctv camera are 12v and simply run off a power supply. You would be surprised at how far you can see with the IR leds built into the cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
Thanks for the link. I missed that, should have figured that they would call a flashlight an illuminator! So what is the difference between the night vision, NV
and the FLIR? Or is there just a technology difference. Cause the price difference is quite significant between the two products. Between the Sightmark and the
TNVC

screwball48

Explorer
I believe, and could be completely wrong, NV gathers available light in the IR spectrum that is reflected by objects and FLIR technology actually displays thermal IR energy emitted by objects. You had better google this one and trust it over my hunches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
The problem with thermal is that it isn't very dimensional and relies on relative temperatures to distinguish between objects. And its VERY easy to hide from. Smoke won't do it, true, but a wall and thick foliage will do it easily, despite what the movies would have you think. Think of it this way. If Thermal imaging was as good as all that, why would the military standard around the work be to use IR and not thermal? Not that thermal cameras don't have their uses, but they're not the end all super vision that people make them out to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94