Nissan’s “Tired Old Styled “Frontier Continues to Surprise Reviewers

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
“And though pickup trucks are often marketed for their durability and longevity, none of them crack the top 10 Longest Held Vehicles List.

(Surprisingly though) the one that owners keep the longest, according to this study, is the Nissan Frontier. They’re kept for 9.1 years on average, which may be partially due to the model’s slow rate of change over the years.”

The above info appeared in this story:

I’m liking these “old” Frontiers more and more every day ....

Last edited:

jonathon

Nissan will hopefully keep the Frontier going until they have a solid replacement. They are also a bargain for a mid size truck as a nicely equipped crew cab 4x4 can be had for under 30k.

Toyota made a huge mistake with the Tacoma by using the 2GR-FKS. I think if they had gone to the dual VVT 1GR-FE with the 6 speed automatic it would have been a great truck.

SnowedIn

Observer
I see a lot of complaints about the interiors being "dated", but I just don't see it. They're well designed, functional, durable, easy to clean, and don't have 11 million crevices and styling details to accumulate dirt and grime.

You get in a lot of newer trucks and it's like sitting in a giant inside-out running shoe.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
It's not a Frontier but my dad is still driving the 1993 Nissan pickup that I bought new. When I decided to get another truck in '01 I didn't think I'd get much for it on trade in so I gave it to my folks. They live in N. Idaho and drive it year round (4x2) with just a set of studded snow tires. I seriously doubt either of the Titans we have now will last nearly that long.

My stepdad has an 05 Frontier with 200k miles. It's had issues along the way but I've always liked these trucks. I still think Toyota builds a better vehicle overall but the price on these is appealing.

luk4mud

Explorer
Very fond of the Frontier. Looking at one for sale on CL, many of the older ones have 150k++ miles on them.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Very fond of the Frontier. Looking at one for sale on CL, many of the older ones have 150k++ miles on them.

Me too. Where are you?

I think I found a nice one (Pro-X pkg) for myself but the guy needs to sell his pop up camper off it first before he’s going to sell the truck. It’s a king cab LB, kinda rare today because, if I understand correctly, you cannot get the P-X pkg in the newer ones unless you get the SB CC model.

SnyperX

I bought a 2015 Pro-4X back at the end of February. My single only complaint is the crap mileage.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I've been on the verge of buying one several times but probably will hold off until I absolutely NEED a vehicle badly, but I've gone as far as visiting a few dealer lots and looking at ones I've found listed.

They are fantastic, my Dad has one which I ended up borrowing for a camping trip and I love the thing. In my case it's not a passing fondness of them, I've got seat time in them and have actually had to go about my day and travel in it, so I feel pretty confident it's going to be fine to live with.

Of course I already have a Nissan, and the Frontier is practically identical to my Xterra in power plant, drive-train, frame configuration, location of just about everything, and the interior. But I was surprised how fond I was of having a truck bed given every vehicle I've had has been an SUV. On that trip I had the Frontier, I was able to put everything under the bed cover and while on the road it was a clean completely enclosed setup which I liked a lot.

One thing I can't make my mind up on about them is if I like them with or without the roof rack. The OEM rack is cheesy as hell, it's functional but for it's beefy size it's flimsy and ages poorly in the sun.. I do like the FrontRunner rack for the Frontier. I think though if I had a Frontier I'd want the FrontRunner or no rack at all.

I will note my only gripe with the Frontier is I've noticed the auto transmission seems like it always wants to be in 1 higher gear than it should, I'm sure programmed that way to pad the EPA fuel rating. It delays down-shifting to the point you get this abrupt shift halfway up a grade that is somewhat annoying. It can be mitigated by being aware of it and hitting the gas a bit firmer and earlier to try and force the shift when you need it. It clashes with my much older 4runner's auto trans, which always seems to shift exactly when it should without much thought, you start to slow and it drops a gear without you jabbing the pedal. I can't compare to my Xterra because it has the 6-speed manual, which is one big perk of a Frontier in that you can still get a manual trans in it.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I will note my only gripe with the Frontier is I've noticed the auto transmission seems like it always wants to be in 1 higher gear than it should, I'm sure programmed that way to pad the EPA fuel rating. It delays down-shifting to the point you get this abrupt shift halfway up a grade that is somewhat annoying. It can be mitigated by being aware of it and hitting the gas a bit firmer and earlier to try and force the shift when you need it. It clashes with my much older 4runner's auto trans, which always seems to shift exactly when it should without much thought, you start to slow and it drops a gear without you jabbing the pedal. I can't compare to my Xterra because it has the 6-speed manual, which is one big perk of a Frontier in that you can still get a manual trans in it.

Thx mucho for posting this good, interesting head’s up about the tranny issues. I really do a lot of mountain driving so I’ll note your helpful tip. This simple sharing of experiences and usage tips is what keeps me coming to this forum (and also makes up a bit for some of the other, less helpful commentary).

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I bought a 2015 Pro-4X back at the end of February. My single only complaint is the crap mileage.

I’m looking at a ‘15. Just how bad are your mpg’s?
My other trucks are a Chevy 6.0 gasser and a Ford 6.2 gasser, so with the Frontier, at least I’ll be beating those pretty low mpgs?

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Thx mucho for posting this good, interesting head’s up about the tranny issues. I really do a lot of mountain driving so I’ll note your helpful tip.

I wouldn't call it an issue, just a gripe. In no way would it hinder me from buying one. Mindful use of the O/D off button would be probable. Mind you my "camping" trip consisted of 5 days with the truck, involved towing a 3500lb camper in the mountains of NC, and it pulled like a champ. You just had to give it a little pedal to keep it in the gear you wanted.

duckhunter71

Adventurer
My other trucks are a Chevy 6.0 gasser and a Ford 6.2 gasser, so with the Frontier, at least I’ll be beating those pretty low mpgs?

I had a 2007 Crew Cab Nismo 4x4 and would average 18-20 most of the time. A lot of that was highway driving. I would expect a lot of city driving to be 15-16ish. I also had a 2010 Xterra Off Road and saw simile mileage out of it.

I think the 4.0L in the Nissans is a superior engine to the 4.0L and 3.5L Toyota engines in grunt and sound. I didn’t have issues with either of mine.

Mike W.

I bought a 2019 Pro4X 2 months ago. Last trip 1000 miles I got 22 combined. I went out yesterday playing in the dirt..Hard driving some climbing but lots of fast dirt running..13mpgs..I have a 2006 XTerra I average about 18mpg as a daily drive and part time camping or overlanding with my Coleman stove and ground mount tent..

We went to run with a friend of a friend who has a new Colorado Bison with the baby diesel..it broke before we got there. Ate the turbo. From others in the group it preformed great for 2 days of hard driving..Trucks break..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior