Nissan Armada 2018

nicochau

Hi all,

New to the forum and to off roading. I am considering a Nissan Armada (Patrol?) 2018 to enjoy some of the trails here in South California or do some slightly more adventurous road trips.

Beside the terrible fuel economy and the supposed amazing Patrol pedigree of this beast, they can actually be found used for a lot less than the $50k new at the dealer.

What’s your opinion on such a vehicle? Possible LandCruiser-like option for half the price? Great bargain or worst possible buy?

Personal requirements: room for 3 kids, comfort for the wife and capable to handle some light off roading without falling apart.

Thanks for your help, all comments are welcome.

leeleatherwood

Fact: y62 Patrol performs better off-road than Landcruiser 200
Fact: y62 Patrol performs better on-road than Landcruiser 200
Fact: y62 Patrol is more reliable and durable than Landcruiser 200 (enormous number of cases of LC200 engines having to be replaced because of defective air filter assemblies. Toyota is not taking responsibility)
Fact: y62 Patrol interior is much nicer than Landcruiser 200
Fact: Australians have really crappy gasoline and therefor the y62 Patrol gasoline engine is a turn off to many in their country. Also gas stations are not as prevalent as diesel in the backcountry.

Basically, the y62 is a better vehicle than the Landcruise 200. Toyota fanboys of course will object... That $40,000+ you are paying for the Toyota badge has to account for something. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

With that being said, the y62 Armada is missing some IMPORTANT features that make the y62 Patrol great. For instance, the differentials both front and rear in the Patrol are stronger, much stronger in the front actually. Also the Patrol comes with Elocker/LSD rear end and the CV shafts are substantially larger front and back. The Patrol has Sand/Dirt/Rock modes too.

This may seem like bad news, but really its not. The Armada is a great platform since its based on F-Alpha and there is enough aftermarket support to build a nice capable vehicle. I would suggest joining the Facebook group Y62 Patrol Modified Action
I also have a build thread for my 2nd Gen QX56 (Same as 2nd Gen Armada) https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/2nd-gen-qx56-qx80-build.205778/

nicochau

@leeleatherwood , great build you have there!

Can't believe such a great platform gets that little diff/lockers hardware to support it from Nissan. Even the bumpers make for a poor off roader. I do like the platform though and price is a lot more reasonable than toyota indeed.

I joined the Facebook group and am looking forward to continuing the research.

Dash Wheeling

G'day Nic and hello from down under.

Dash of road is coming to save you USA guys later this year when we launch our USA site and aussie products for the Y62 AKA Armada.

I'd encourage you to jump onto our site dashoffroad.com.au and check out our goodies.

Mr Lee will also be first in line for some parts sooner than later.

bigskypylot

Explorer
G'day Nic and hello from down under.

Dash of road is coming to save you USA guys later this year when we launch our USA site and aussie products for the Y62 AKA Armada.

I'd encourage you to jump onto our site dashoffroad.com.au and check out our goodies.

Mr Lee will also be first in line for some parts sooner than later.

Any chance of an E-locker fornthe M205? I know Harrop has an E-locker (Eaton) for the Y62 but it is not the same differential as the M205 unfortunately.

Really looking forward to seeing what you bring to the US Market :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94