Nissan Pathfinder SV (R51)

WMDunkin

Adventurer
11229545_10102042281653598_2317887422775460584_n.jpg

Here is my new rig, a 2011 Nissan Pathfinder SV(v6). It has 64,XXX miles on it and is in mint condition. It was a great find, so far I have been getting around 22mpg mixed driving (saw 23-24 on the highway for a brief time). I can't wait to play with the 4x4 system and take it down the beach and trails around the house. So I have a few ideas planned for the Pathfinder and need some input on some others.

Here is my planned list of modifications:

- PRG Mini Lift with options (2")
- 4x4parts.com full skid plate set (1/4" alu.)
- RRO Supersliders
- 265/70/17 tires (TBD)

Now we already have a pretty efficient camping set up and have some coolers and cargo systems already in place/use. But my real question is about tires. I will daily drive this around 14 miles a day (at least). Must be all weather use (snow, rain, mud, hurricane, trees, etc) due to my job. And have a pretty good tread life.

Here is my current list of tires in the size I am looking at

- Hankook DynaPro MT
- Goodyear DuraTrac
- BFG Mud Terrain KM2
- Yoko Geolander M/T plus (my last vehicle had the A/T-S and I loved them)
- BFG All Terrain KO2
- ******** Cepek Fun Country
- Firestone Destination M/T

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Allof75

Pathfinder
Looks like a solid find. As far as tires I suggest looking into some Coopers like the STT or AT3. You said you had some storage systems in place, what're you using?

docwatson

Adventurer
Very nice! I am a big fan of the R51. Look forward to seeing the mods and trips yet to come.

The most active R51 community I have found is thenissanpath.com. Lots of reviews there on the different lifts and mods for the R51.

As far as the tires, my first thought was the AT3. My set got me every where I needed and some places I didn't need to be in Colorado.

WMDunkin

Adventurer
Looks like a solid find. As far as tires I suggest looking into some Coopers like the STT or AT3. You said you had some storage systems in place, what're you using?

Yeah the coopers I have seen have been a bit higher in price. We are currently using a naiper tent and a box method for right now. Some nice stanly tool boxes. And have a thermo cooler for our weekend trips for the cold stuff. May look into getting a drawer system of some type to hold everything.

Very nice! I am a big fan of the R51. Look forward to seeing the mods and trips yet to come.

The most active R51 community I have found is thenissanpath.com. Lots of reviews there on the different lifts and mods for the R51.

As far as the tires, my first thought was the AT3. My set got me every where I needed and some places I didn't need to be in Colorado.

Yeah I found that forum. Looks great. The more I read about the capabilities of the pathfinder the more excited I get.

mallthus

Pretty good at some stuff
I have a 2008 Pathfinder LE V8 and like it. One thing I've been really unhappy with is the way dirt and sand from the cargo area get into the recesses of the 3rd row seats. It's been leagues better since we got a fitted cargo tray. Unless you're going to be using the third row regularly, put this high on your list.

SRStaff

Observer
My 31" AT3's are able to keep up with 33" KM2's with a rear locker just fine. Taller 33's just made is easier to roll over stuff.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Great looking rig you got there. I don't see those R51s built up nearly enough. They have the potential to be awfully cool trucks.

As for the tires, I'd look into the General AT2s. They are pretty light, have great performance in nearly all conditions, and are pretty inexpensive.

skibum315

Explorer
Don't get me started on the R51 lust ... though my particular desires tend more towards the V8 models (looking at you mallthus ... also one or two others that have been floating around and are more built). I'll be following this thread, simply on principle ... lol

As for tires, my short list:
Hankook Dynapro ATM
Cooper AT3
Cooper Discoverer ST-Maxx (what I have currently)
... maybe a few others, if there was need to expand the search.

Check out the Tire Rack comparison charts (here's the AT one, and the MT one) ... obviously there's some important/popular tires missing from those lists, but it at least gives you a baseline to compare against if you hear one is better or worse than something on that list. You can also use the tire reviews from Offroaders.com ... they've got *lots* of detail, and most of the popular tires, listed.

WMDunkin

Adventurer
Thanks for the input guys, now the one thing I noticed was the load ratings. That was throughing off my price hunt.

I was able to find able to find this one in TN. My great uncle has a used car dealership down there and hooked us up in the pricing but I found it. This will be a slow build but I will diffinitly get it done.

WMDunkin

Adventurer
Got my light mount.....

I had four KC daylighters on my WRX (2 driving, 2 spots, 130w each light). Well I have been searching for some mounting options for the Pathfinder and found a plate mount from VisionX for 50 bucks. I decided to try it out. I am impressed, more stable then I thought it would be with two 6" daylighters on it. Here are the pictures.

20262810672_0c90ba3aac_c.jpg

20083124878_5acf41afac_c.jpg

20271104365_0c935b2f1a_c.jpg

20083122178_a764f8bce2_c.jpg

20083075870_9b3803807c_c.jpg

I will add two support pieces to the bottom part of the mount plate and tie it into the bumper just to be safe.

20277007041_efe8aa8344_c.jpg

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Aren't you worried that the whole assembly will become a shovel on the first obstacle approach? The backing plate looks like plastic. You may want to cut it off and bend the plate back in a controlled fashion, rather than let the trail modify it. Otherwise, it looks tres kewl (that's French ya know).

Allof75

Pathfinder
I like it, nice and simple. You might be able to shift the plate over to one side or another of the lights to help give you some better approach angle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94