Nissan Patrol coming as 2011 Infiniti QX56

Dollars to doughnuts it's both IFS/IRS... US cars are geared towards comfort and agility for starbucks sipping debutants to dart through traffic without a care in the world in daddys big expensive car.

This will be nothing like the Patrol we all lust after... And don't even pretend there will be a diesel option...

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
I heard 4.8L V8 and 7 speed auto tranny. You are probably right about the IFS, kinda a bummer.
Still, the Patrol is a tough suv so I hope it's a Land Cruiser quality product

spikemd

Explorer
wow, from the side it looks SO much like the 200 series until you get to the grill. the patrols are big down under. maybe they will finally bring it across the pond...

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
We had patrols and land cruiser 100's when I was in Oman... After flogging each one in a comparo I have to say the patrol was the more robust of the two. Just better in every category.

If they bring it here SFA, I might become a convert.

mauricio_28

Adventurer
I own an D40 TID Nissan Navara, but I still lust after the old Patrols and the 80-series LandCruisers here which are not uncommon and can still be had relatively easily on the used market. If you had to pick, would you go with Patrol or 80-series?

haven

Expedition Leader
There was a similar set of camera phone photos "leaked" in December 08. Here's one web site showing all
four photos, supposedly taken at a training session.
http://www.monster4x4.com.au/blog/2008/12/24/new-nissan-patrol-for-2010/

This seems to me to be Nissan's way of getting attention without formally announcing the vehicle.

Nissan announced plans to cancel USA production of the Armada and QX56 SUVs by sometime in 2010.
The replacement vehicle will be imported from Japan, and I guess it will look like the vehicle in these photos.
I expect it to have independent suspension all around, a big gas V8, and lots of electronic traction aids.

Chip Haven

haven

Expedition Leader
The USA version of the 2011 Patrol was introduced today at the New York Auto Show. The price is $56,700, same as last year's Infiniti QX56. For comparison, the 2010 Toyota Land Cruiser costs almost $66K. The new QX56 is larger, more powerful, and still more fuel efficient than the 2010 model it replaces.

Like the Land Cruiser, the QX56 emphasizes luxury over off-road capability. But the QX56 much the same equipment as the Patrol (not sure about the locking rear differential). You don't have to buy the 22 inch rims shown on the auto show display stand.

The new QX56 will be built in Japan, rather than Nissan's Mississippi plant where the Titan and Armada are built.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
dont get your hopes up,, we in the land cruiser community still want a real land cruiser.

jpvm

Explorer
I prefer 1000x the Nissan Patrol version vs, the Infinity QX version if you ask me (that grille makes my stomach to squeeze). But well .. I'll stick with my original Patrol GU (mfg 2000) :bike_rider:

FlatBlak

Observer
I think SFA's are overrated. I know, I know. I love my IFS and I'm very biased. It rides great down the road, its very safe and has decent flex once the sway is disconnected. Plus, there is no danger of death wobbles. Every single SFA vehicle I have owned has experienced this one time or another.

Ok so the Nissan IFS is weak, everybody knows that. Toyota's have a much better track record, probably the best. Fords TTB just plain sucks and S-10 CV's must have been pulled from a Chevette or something. A few upgrades and the Nissan can be very reliable with 35"+.

If a SFA truck had good travel (AKA F150 Raptor) it would win in every category vs. SFA IMO. SFA's don't allow the tire surface to travel paralell to the road surface. OK so it looks cool while the front axle is all twisted up on a big hairy rock. Give a IFS good travel, lock it and some really robust arms/joints and you'll have a serious contender on your hands.

I predict in the next 2 years the world of rock crawling will see a lean towards IFS as the geometry is so much better than a SFA. Look for the a-arms to attach to points very close to the centerline of the vehicle and a lot utilizing a pumpkin similar to a Z32 rear. More tire contact, more traction, more everything... except weight.

I am not a professional rock crawler, just my personal experiences with SFA's and IFS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles